Time, BBC1 tonight (Stephen Graham, Sean Bean)

not doubting you it just seems really far fetched and like something from a movie. mad to think it happens in real life
Lad he was in with got out after my mate did. This lad had done something like a 9 year stretch. Was originally sent for 2 or 3 year but kept on getting sentences added on whilst inside.

So this lad is living in a halfway house. He told me mate he didn't want to leave prison whilst inside. My mate rang him about a week after he got out and he was depressed as fuck, basically couldn't handle not having rules in place and just generally the outside world. Next day he purposely got arrested so he would go back inside. He'll spend the rest of his life in there now.

Dunno what they do to prepare prisoners to come out but by the sound of it this lad wasn't ready or prepared at all
Give them a couple of quid and say bye. Some are nice and give them tents if they've got no where to go.

Last edited:

anyone know how realistic it is with reference to the inmates getting the word to other prisons about his son, and getting him done in, and also, how the fuck do all these prisons end up with so many drugs being consumed inside?

and, if a normal bloke like him actually gets sent down, how likely is it that he can keep his head down and not get filled in and bullied constantly?
Worked on a couple of jobs on Prisons.
The first one twenty odd year ago was a CAT C, as you walked around the grounds there were always tennis balls on the ground. I asked why and the PO said the prisoners arrange with their mates where they'll be at a certain time, the mate will then go to the perimeter wall at that time and Chuck a tennis ball over, slit open and stashed with drugs.
There was also a commotion in the car park one day with police cars and sniffer dogs etc. Turned out they'd suspected the Sikh Granthi of smuggling stuff in for a while, this day they'd pulled him and on search his turbin was stuffed with gear. They had the police and dogs search his car and the glove box was rammed with it.
They had that much stuff inside they used to sidle up to our lads working and ask them if they wanted anything!
The other was a CAT B but with loads of CAT A inside as well. This was more of a Victorian Slade Prison type, in there the lads in the upper cells closest to the perimeter wall would use fishing line with a weight to pendulum across the wall where their mates would tie on gear to drag back over the wall.

Yeah theres some very unhinged people about, I also cover the custody suites, that's a lot more laid back and not fully like its displayed on the television
Worked in all the NE prisons, unhinged is the wrong word, the majority need help with mental health. JM pointed that out all through this, anyone who watched the HMP Durham program and saw the lad with screws in his knuckles must realise they need help, prison won't help them.
anyone know how realistic it is with reference to the inmates getting the word to other prisons about his son, and getting him done in, and also, how the fuck do all these prisons end up with so many drugs being consumed inside?

and, if a normal bloke like him actually gets sent down, how likely is it that he can keep his head down and not get filled in and bullied constantly?
Said to the missus (no) it captured the noise and the feeling that at any moment it could all go off, lots of young men, angry, aggressive and not engaged with anything. Our prison system needs a new direction and money which will obviously never happen as they all have Playstations (they don't). It's squalid, boring and in no way able to make the majority leave as reformed.
Watching Accused: Tracie's story at the minute, which is on Amazon Prime, with Sean Bean and Stephen Graham. 2 series with different actors and court cases and the story leading up to it. Also written by Jimmy McGovern.
I need to psyche myself up to watch Time I think.
It's grim as fuck.

Last edited:
Excellent watch that. Another classic from McGovern. Imagine if all the prison population were let out for a week, the carnage they would cause. What a tragedy we live in a system that produces these people in the first place and then to add insult to injury then fails to rehabilitate them.

That could easily have been me. I got into a bad drink driving habit about 15 years ago. It starts off with a pint or two after work then becomes three or four and then you think that you can handle more. I once woke up after a works night out an couldn't remember how I'd got home. I then went downstairs to find my car outside with a big dent in the bonnet where I'd hit the garden wall when parking. That scared the life out of me as it would have been prison for certain if I'd hit someone and I never did anything so stupid ever again.
And me. Thank god I never got caught or even worse killed someone. As you say, you start off with the best of intentions, one or two, then 5 years later, you're driving home having had 10 pints

Thought it was very good.

not the best I’ve seen and certainly not as gritty / brutal as some make sure t out, it’s definitely worth a watch

Just finished it. Absolutely loved it. Could have been an 2 or maybe even 3 episodes longer for me and still worked.

Stephen Graham can do no wrong for me like. Class in everything he is in.

A few local well knowns in that as well. I'd like to rewatch it.
I’ve tried to find it but seems to have disappeared. Not on all4 or YouTube either

Thought it was excellent, great acting from Stephen Graham as always but I thought Sean Bean was outstanding. Enjoyed it more than the latest Line of duty.
On another note, that ‘Before we die’ on channel 4 is laughable :lol:

Back