Time, BBC1 tonight (Stephen Graham, Sean Bean)

I could be totally wrong but I'm sure low risk prisoners near the end of their sentence can be let out on their own for certain things. You used to see articles in the newspapers going nuts about it.

There's a secure mental health prison hidden behind an office block in Teesside that houses some of the worst offenders out there. If they have behaved the previous day and night then the doctor will make a decision on whether they are allowed out for the day. This isn't to do work placements etc, this is to go shopping, just for a walk or whatever takes their fancy.

When you're waiting to go through the airlock they are just sat in reception either just chatting or waiting for take away or for a taxi.

He entered with other prisoners, generally first time prisoners are kept on a watch the first few days. Last place they would be put is with a high risk prisoner.

we’ll agree to disagree on the Chaplain. Certainly in the two prisons I’ve worked in only Officers have cell keys, may be different in other establishments.

There is also ZERO chance Stephen Graham’s character would have been kept on remand in the prison he worked at.

It was a brilliant drama, but some aspects have been overlooked for dramatic purposes
possibly it's different in different prisons, and it may have changed as it's been a while since I had anything to do with prisons, but chaplains used to have keys in Durham, and also Wealstun, both the open and closed sides (not that they were needed on the open side). If it's changed fair do's, like I say, its been a while :)

Totally agree there's not a chance he would have been on remand in the same prison, surely he would be on a VP wing too, and not just sitting round for anyone to talk to.
Surely Sean Beans character wouldn't have been allowed to leave the prison on his own to to to a conference before returning?
It's called ROTL

same license as when they are let out to do work, home leave that type of thing I think

anyone know how realistic it is with reference to the inmates getting the word to other prisons about his son, and getting him done in, and also, how the fuck do all these prisons end up with so many drugs being consumed inside?

and, if a normal bloke like him actually gets sent down, how likely is it that he can keep his head down and not get filled in and bullied constantly?

See my earlier post. Buried (originally on channel 4, now on all 4) and of course from back in the day Scum (no idea if that's online anywhere).
another vote for "buried" with another great actor, who'd appeared in Line Of Duty.
anyone know how realistic it is with reference to the inmates getting the word to other prisons about his son, and getting him done in, and also, how the fuck do all these prisons end up with so many drugs being consumed inside?

and, if a normal bloke like him actually gets sent down, how likely is it that he can keep his head down and not get filled in and bullied constantly?
mobiles. messages passed on visits. people being released and passing messages on.

the second question, is a bit more complicated. new arrivals having hidden parcels inside themselves, over the fence, drones, passed on visits, having someone on your payroll (staff or civvy) and them taking stuff in.

Last edited:
the second question, is a bit more complicated. new arrivals having hidden parcels inside themselves, over the fence, drones, passed on visits, having someone on your payroll (staff or civvy) and them taking stuff in.

not doubting you it just seems really far fetched and like something from a movie. mad to think it happens in real life

not doubting you it just seems really far fetched and like something from a movie. mad to think it happens in real life
i heard a good one years ago. inside trainers. they couldn't be brought in on visits, and had to be ordered from a sports shop - to hopefully cut out the chance of trainers being tampered with. now if there was someone in the sports shop, that was making the orders, adapting the trainers and then packaging the completed order.......

My mate has done a year in a youth prison and 2 years in normal prison.

Says youth one was worse. 1st day on the wing he got battered but he fought back so they respected him. Another lad didn't fight back and they basically took the piss out of him for his stay there.

He kept his head down in normal prison twice. He's told me some stories like which are mad to believe. Spice is rampant inside. He actually struggled to adjust after he got out. Says he misses being inside sometimes.

My mate has done a year in a youth prison and 2 years in normal prison.

Says youth one was worse. 1st day on the wing he got battered but he fought back so they respected him. Another lad didn't fight back and they basically took the piss out of him for his stay there.

He kept his head down in normal prison twice. He's told me some stories like which are mad to believe. Spice is rampant inside. He actually struggled to adjust after he got out. Says he misses being inside sometimes.

Can imagine easily being institutionalised after not very long in those places like.

Can imagine easily being institutionalised after not very long in those places like.

Lad he was in with got out after my mate did. This lad had done something like a 9 year stretch. Was originally sent for 2 or 3 year but kept on getting sentences added on whilst inside.

So this lad is living in a halfway house. He told me mate he didn't want to leave prison whilst inside. My mate rang him about a week after he got out and he was depressed as fuck, basically couldn't handle not having rules in place and just generally the outside world. Next day he purposely got arrested so he would go back inside. He'll spend the rest of his life in there now.

Dunno what they do to prepare prisoners to come out but by the sound of it this lad wasn't ready or prepared at all

Back