Ticket Touts

the Law is likely something around tax evasion. How many touts do you think pay capital gains on the profit they’ve earned from buying/selling the tickets.

They are getting done because they bought, under many different aliases, a shit load of tkts where numbers per person were limited. They also failed to advise the buyer they could be refused entry to the event.

If you stood outside spurs ground trying to flog tickets for trebble the value youl get arrested.

yet loads still do it legally on stubhub, robbing fellow fans blind.

Weird.

They are getting done because they bought, under many different aliases, a shit load of tkts where numbers per person were limited. They also failed to advise the buyer they could be refused entry to the event.
Why should the buyer be refused entry if it's a genuine ticket?
As they’re not capital items, then none. But I get your point. They should be paying income tax.
Agree, but as the trading of tickets is a grey area legally they couldn't.
Agreed. Resell back to vender at face value (or less) minus booking fee. For genuine people who can't make it, this will be a win.
If something came up an hour before and you couldn't attend would the vendor take it back then?

Last edited:
Although many of the touts are of a dubious disposition i really dont blame them for doing their job. It is the system that is wrong that allows the people at the top of the tree to buy huge volumes in the first place to enable the touts to get their original stock to start trading. This original stock pays the overhead and then they can start their " buy-sell, any ticket" trading.

If something came up an hour before and you couldn't attend would the vendor take it back then?
If something that urgent came up an hour before I doubt you would think it's the end of the world should you not get your money back. Tickets should be returned at least 1 week before.

If something that urgent came up an hour before I doubt you would think it's the end of the world should you not get your money back. Tickets should be returned at least 1 week before.
So if I pay a £100 for a Who ticket and 6 days before I end up in hospital I can't sell it or give it to a mate?
Shit idea that

Why should the buyer be refused entry if it's a genuine ticket?

Because now, with many gigs, they need to be able to prove they are the buyer (name on ticket). The reality is its often not enforced. Radiohead gig in London it was. Only sold in twos, the named buyer had to be present to get in with their +1.
So if I pay a £100 for a Who ticket and 6 days before I end up in hospital I can't sell it or give it to a mate?
Shit idea that

I reckon you'd get your cash back in that scenario.

Am I correct in guessing you don't attend gigs very often? :lol:

Last edited:
Because now, with many gigs, they need to be able to prove they are the buyer (name on ticket). The reality is its often not enforced.
Which goes back to the original argument, why can't somebody sell their ticket. They've bought the right of entry, why can't they sell it or give it away?
Because now, with many gigs, they need to be able to prove they are the buyer (name on ticket). The reality is its often not enforced. Radiohead gig in London it was. Only sold in twos, the named buyer had to be present to get in with their +1.

I reckon you'd get your cash back in that scenario.
Poster I replied to said you should have to give a weeks notice.

Last edited:
Which goes back to the original argument, why can't somebody sell their ticket. They've bought the right of entry, why can't they sell it or give it away?

Because those are the terms and conditions you have signed up to. The named buyer must be the one using the ticket.

Poster I replied to said you should have to give a weeks notice.

I know they did. For events they state circumstances where you can get refunds outside of it though. If you can prove it.

Last edited:
Still doesn't answer why food, fuel, housing and water can be bought and sold yet tickets are so precious they have this protection.

I don't care. I just stated why they are getting done. They broke the rules, regardless of whether or not you agree with them. Fuck em.

Shit idea that
Boo f***ing hoo.

How is that the vendors problem?

Anyhow, I'm only brainstorming. I'm not responsible for putting something in place.

Usually common sense will prevail. I’ve been at a few gigs where photo ID is required and mates have been unable to go (Radiohead did it on their last tour). The organisers just say to send a photo of drivers license or passport of the ticket owner to the current ticket holder and they’ll be allowed in. Tbh both times it’s happened they haven’t even really been checking that you are the registered ticket owner.

Shit idea that

The RA system that I mentioned lets you do it up to a day or two before the event.
Usually common sense will prevail. I’ve been at a few gigs where photo ID is required and mates have been unable to go (Radiohead did it on their last tour). The organisers just say to send a photo of drivers license or passport of the ticket owner to the current ticket holder and they’ll be allowed in. Tbh both times it’s happened they haven’t even really been checking that you are the registered ticket owner.

They did this for Aphex Twin in London. Every ticket had to have a different name and you had to show ID matching the name on the ticket you were using. I guess potentially harder to do for standard gigs where you have under 18s that are less likely to have ID compared to clubs that ID everyone who enters these days regardless.

Last edited:
Boo f***ing hoo.

How is that the vendors problem?

Anyhow, I'm only brainstorming. I'm not responsible for putting something in place.
Once the vendor sells the ticket what gives them the right to dictate what happens to it after that?
It's pure protectionism.

Back