Thrifty folk of the SMB

I've done all the Al's Kitchen stuff since before Al had a kitchen Marra. First learned about BIR curries about ten years ago when I purchased "The Curry Secret" which shows how to make the onion gravy base.
I still can't quite get it to taste authentic. Maybe I spice it too much.
Have you watched Al's videos? He shows you how its not just about the recipe, its about the technique. Made a big difference for me.

2 main bits were:
1 - Portion size - you have to make single portions, or you lose the flavour
2 - How to work the curry in the pan to make it sweeten up correctly

Have you watched Al's videos? He shows you how its not just about the recipe, its about the technique. Made a big difference for me.

2 main bits were:
Listen to this fella @Scimmy

2 main bits were:

I think you've just found my mistake! I make a larger amount than I should so I get at least 2 meals out of it. The frying pan is too full to get the true caramelisation and I've been concentrating too much on the spices. I'll try a much smaller size next time! :)

My car turns the engine off itself at traffic lights and stuff. It seems pretty pointless, surely it doesn't save much fuel.

My Astra's computer tells me that when the engine is idling it uses 0.4 gallons of petrol per hour. That's with the aircon running. So that's just over 5 hundredths of a pint per minute. That's not worth the wear and tear on the starter motor to justify turning the engine off at traffic lights. It's just a gimmick to make the car appear environmentally friendly.

No more pain than going to the bog which is done several times during.

One of my annoyances at the bar from round drinkers is when they order a pint of say carling then bar tender says 'anything else' then orders a john smiths. Comes back, "owt else" and a guiness. Why not just order all 3 at the same time and a capable bar tender will be able to do all 3 at the same time.

I make my sarnie when i get up in morning. It only takes a couple of minutes. Its not just its loads cheaper but also made how i like it. I find shop ones have too much butter on for example.

It's probably not real butter either. "Catering spread" in a geet big tub is what they use. Like margarine.

Last edited:
Any amusing stories of high level cheapness?

I’m sure I remember reading on here about a poster who boils the kettle at work and takes the hot water home in a flask!

Pinching toilet roll from work has been mentioned

Me and a few mates went to see Piranha 3D at the pics, obviously, we all purchased the geggs so we could see the big baps in their full glory; with the exception of one of the lads who is tight as a Scottish ducks arse. He wouldn't part with a few extra quid to buy them, as he had previously seen another 3D film, which he bought the glasses, but had forgotten to bring them with him.

Bought some document wallets in Wilko today for £1.50. Used my discount card to reduce the price by 30p :oops:

Back