Thrifty folk of the SMB

I once got on a Megabus from Portsmouth to Sunderland that cost about a fiver. Would have been about £15 with National Express but took 6 hours less. I was absolutely destitute at the time mind.

I also did once fly from Malaga to Gatwick via Olso to save £30. Added 7 hours onto the journey. I can say I've been to Norway though.

Usually I spend spend spend though.

That's what anyone with sense does. Save £50 a month no bother.

It'll be his inner jock.
Depends if you work next to an amazing sandwich shop or in a city centre though. Definitely something I’ve done in the past.

Packed lunches aren’t what I was after though, I want to hear stories of people using tea bags 3 times, people taking the fuse out of the boiler before they go on a business trip so their wife needs to wear a coat indoors.

It'll be his inner jock.
More practical than thrifty but nearly always linked with money saving.Bit planning for the week ahead,healthy cheap food you enjoy ,sorted

Depends if you work next to an amazing sandwich shop or in a city centre though. Definitely something I’ve done in the past.

Packed lunches aren’t what I was after though, I want to hear stories of people using tea bags 3 times, people taking the fuse out of the boiler before they go on a business trip so their wife needs to wear a coat indoors.
My mate coasting in 1 gear and refusing to brake wherever possible,switching engine off on hills

Last edited:

They just sound like twats. Tea bags are dirt cheap and weak tea is pointless.

My mate coasting in 1 gear and refusing to brake wherever possible,switching engine off on hills
My car turns the engine off itself at traffic lights and stuff. It seems pretty pointless, surely it doesn't save much fuel.

They just sound like twats. Tea bags are dirt cheap and weak tea is pointless.

My car turns the engine off itself at traffic lights and stuff. It seems pretty pointless, surely it doesn't save much fuel.
Mine too,Maybe does save a bit ,turning it off on a hill renders the brake servo useless which my mate found out at the bottom.

Nowt wrong with being careful marra,

This thread is about apparently normal folk with nice cars and houses who will absolutely not buy a round if the pub is expensive and will wait until the night moves to Wetherspoons before buying theirs, or suddenly decide its time to go home.

I never understand the obsession with rounds. People turn out & go home at different times and drink at different speeds. I just buy my own as its just more practical.

I don't mind spending money provided I get good value. Neither I or our lass like going to restaurants as we're both canny cooks and can rustle up restaurant-quality food at home for usually a third of the price. I mean simple stuff like pizza, pasta, steak and chips etc. For that reason you would never find me in Miller and Carter or Bellinis, or eating a Sunday lunch out. I will buy takeaway food that I can not accurately replicate such as fish and chips (hats off to Fountains), chinese and Indian food. I'm on the Foodies FB group mainly as a lurker and am amazed at how much cash a lot of "the community" spend on takeaways or eating out, especially when you consider that they are all Sunderland people and are therefore probably not well-remunerated and so don't have a massive amount of disposable income, all seemingly being parents of superstar bairns. I suppose that to some folk eating out is a lifestyle choice or in Jolene's case a necessity as she seems to find home cooking challenging judging by her question "do you make mayonnaise with salad cream?" :lol::lol:.

I detest being ripped off and therefore almost obsessively research my prospective purchase prior to spending money, unless I have previously bought the same object/service. I find the process enjoyable though.

So I don't consider myself tight: just careful.
Agree with you on eating out, some people go out and eat at shit restaurants that you could easily make something better than with a little bit of effort.

Like you say the only ‘takeaway’ that cant be replicated for me is proper Fish and Chips with scraps, I dont use a fryer so thats the only thing i feel like im gettig value for money food wise.

Dont get me wrong, I do like eating out but i never really feel its worth whatever we have paid unless you go somewhere outstanding and then you are paying through the roof anyway.

I never understand the obsession with rounds. People turn out & go home at different times and drink at different speeds. I just buy my own as its just more practical.

Just get in a round with one or two people who drink at similar speeds. Going to the bar all the time must be a pain, there's nowt better than seeing your mate bring you a pint over while you finish off the previous one. :cool:

It'll be his inner jock.

I really couldn't be arsed with it. More cleaning to do in the house. If it's sandwiches they are always shit compared to fresh ones and if it's something to heat up then you need to wait ages for a microwave at work.

Back