Three peaks

Agreed to do it for charity in the summer this year.

My current levels of fitness is I can hurry up Ben Lomond without really being out of breath.

I realise the three peaks are a different kettle of fish on their own, but given that base level of fitness will I be alright?

Going to get a lot of walking in over the next few months in the Peak District as probably the best prep I can do.

@duff_man - you like hill walking iiirc.

Never done the 3 peaks but know loads who have, some who have done it haven't been very fit so it is obviously manageable. If i was preparing for it I would get lots of miles and ascent in plus would try and get some days where you do two walks to replicate doing one mountain then sitting in the van/car then having to do another mountain later. You could then do that again but I couldn't be fucked on with that.
Make sure someone with you is good at navigation, if not you could waste a lot of time

Never done the 3 peaks but know loads who have, some who have done it haven't been very fit so it is obviously manageable. If i was preparing for it I would get lots of miles and ascent in plus would try and get some days where you do two walks to replicate doing one mountain then sitting in the van/car then having to do another mountain later. You could then do that again but I couldn't be fucked on with that.
Make sure someone with you is good at navigation, if not you could waste a lot of time

/could fall off Ben Nevis trying to find the path down :lol:

One of the lads going used to be in the forces and is good with all that.

Getting off ben nevis summit is really dangerous in poor visibility, five finger gully I think it's called is an accident blackspot

Yeah that’s the one, been reading about it today and how to navigate from the summit when you can’t see.

Think the worst I’ve had so far is up striding edge and down swirral edge in thick fog.

Yeah that’s the one, been reading about it today and how to navigate from the summit when you can’t see.

Think the worst I’ve had so far is up striding edge and down swirral edge in thick fog.

Getting off the top is easy if you know what you are doing, think its only two bearings but if you get it wrong it could be rather painful. I have done the ben in january before, snow on the top was about 5 or six foot deep and the temperature with wind chill was about -15. Hardest day i have ever had in the hills but was really enjoyable.

A friend of mine and his friend are right now closing in on a Three Peaks world record: Climb all three peaks and cycle unaided between all three mountains. They started at 4am yesterday morning and they're now 10-15km away from Ben Nevis, with their longest rest being for 20 minutes. They're about 2 hours ahead of schedule (I think the target is around 37-40 hours). The support team is updating everyone at #polythreepeaks on Instagram if anyone is interested.

A friend of mine and his friend are right now closing in on a Three Peaks world record: Climb all three peaks and cycle unaided between all three mountains. They started at 4am yesterday morning and they're now 10-15km away from Ben Nevis, with their longest rest being for 20 minutes. They're about 2 hours ahead of schedule (I think the target is around 37-40 hours). The support team is updating everyone at #polythreepeaks on Instagram if anyone is interested.

If anyone is interested, they did it! Beat the previous record by 45 minutes.

Brilliant achievement but how is it unaided with a support team?

Brilliant achievement but how is it unaided with a support team?

Sorry, my crap wording in the message, I should have re-read it before sending. I meant they cycled between each mountain themselves, i.e. didn't get a lift or whatever. They had a support car behind them all the way but it was for food and drink only.

Sorry, my crap wording in the message, I should have re-read it before sending. I meant they cycled between each mountain themselves, i.e. didn't get a lift or whatever. They had a support car behind them all the way but it was for food and drink only.
That makes sense! Who was it?

Went up Whernside a few days back. The weather was atrocious. Got back down it in about 45 mins. :lol:

Back