Three album idea

Gelan

Winger
Me and the missus selected what we consider to be our best 45 songs, and have started recording them for three albums. All albums have fifteen songs The main album will be me and 'er, punchy high impact close harmony stuff. The other two will be solo albums, some personal and more delicate songs.

My question is: If you bought an album that you liked the majority of tracks, would you buy the two solo albums also if all the songs were written by the same artists?

We're doing it anyway, and willing to lose a few bucks if it doesn't work...life is all about risk taking.

Cheers in advance 👍

I think you may have missed the point. Take your favourte band, the two vocalists make solo albums...would you buy them?

I think you missed mine. I would only buy the solo albums if I liked those solo albums. I wouldn't buy them just because they'd been made by the singer from a band whose album I liked.

Take for example, Matchbox 20. I loved their first 3 albums. I thought they were absolutely immense.

However, their singer Rob Thomas released some solo albums, which I had a listen to and didn't like them at all. Too poppy for my taste. I love his voice but the songs just felt lacking when the rest of the band weren't involved, and so I didn't buy any of his solo stuff.

Soundgarden's another example. Loved their stuff, bought most of it. Chris Cornell's first solo album was also immense, so I bought that one, but then the next two solo albums weren't to my taste at all, so I didn't buy those ones.

Whether I buy an album or not has nothing to do with who made the album, it's to do with whether I like the album or not.

I think you missed mine. I would only buy the solo albums if I liked those solo albums. I wouldn't buy them just because they'd been made by the singer from a band whose album I liked.

Take for example, Matchbox 20. I loved their first 3 albums. I thought they were absolutely immense.

However, their singer Rob Thomas released some solo albums, which I had a listen to and didn't like them at all. Too poppy for my taste. I love his voice but the songs just felt lacking when the rest of the band weren't involved, and so I didn't buy any of his solo stuff.

Soundgarden's another example. Loved their stuff, bought most of it. Chris Cornell's first solo album was also immense, so I bought that one, but then the next two solo albums weren't to my taste at all, so I didn't buy those ones.

Whether I buy an album or not has nothing to do with who made the album, it's to do with whether I like the album or not.
Thanks for that...very informative 👍

Me and the missus selected what we consider to be our best 45 songs, and have started recording them for three albums. All albums have fifteen songs The main album will be me and 'er, punchy high impact close harmony stuff. The other two will be solo albums, some personal and more delicate songs.

My question is: If you bought an album that you liked the majority of tracks, would you buy the two solo albums also if all the songs were written by the same artists?

We're doing it anyway, and willing to lose a few bucks if it doesn't work...life is all about risk taking.

Cheers in advance 👍
Just to clarify a point, you and the missus are recording the songs? As in providing duo and solo harmonies yourselves?

Cheers in advance 👍
KISS did it in 78 mate. Didn’t go too well at the time though they’re seen as canny now.
Btw are you actually Richie Blackmore?

Just to clarify a point, you and the missus are recording the songs? As in providing duo and solo harmonies yourselves?
Yep, but she's a few levels above me.
KISS did it in 78 mate. Didn’t go too well at the time though they’re seen as canny now.
Btw are you actually Richie Blackmore?
I wish...why I'm going for this is my age and Grace's mental health. We've written over 200 songs in eighteen years but she's never been well enough to see it through, plus I wasn't talented enough. If we do one album a year, I might not be here to enjoy the ride.
Now, if instead of it being some rockstar that I'd never met, it was a close personal friend who was a struggling musician, then I'd probably buy it even if I thought it was shite. I might never listen to it, but I'd do it to support him in his art.
That is so nice 👍

Last edited:
Yep, but she's a few levels above me.

I wish...why I'm going for this is my age and Grace's mental health. We've written over 200 songs in eighteen years but she's never been well enough to see it through, plus I wasn't talented enough. If we do one album a year, I might not be here to enjoy the ride.

That is so nice 👍
Ah well. Best of luck with it. People rarely buy albums these days maybe concentrate on the one together and get some lovely artwork, packaging etc

Now, if instead of it being some rockstar that I'd never met, it was a close personal friend who was a struggling musician, then I'd probably buy it even if I thought it was shite. I might never listen to it, but I'd do it to support him in his art.
I’ve done this many time with local artists

I have signed copies that might be worth thousands in the futu…….

Just to add that most of the profit will go in tax as I have a state pension, the rest will go towards green technology. I have to do this as the thought of our songs never being aired is just too painful to contemplate...I'm just an old man that loves to entertain, the money we could make is of no importance, only the joy of the listener...well hopefully :D
ps. I've always sang backing vocals for Grace, but Saturday is my first gig where I have solo's. It will be videod, but I'm not too comfortable with that as Long Covid has aged me beyond belief, and yes at 75 I still have some vanity left, but I really don't have a shout as our agent actually thinks my age is a selling point, so I'll have to cope with this chink in my armour, as I am forever telling people to be proud and confident in what they are.

Last edited:

Cheers in advance 👍
Are you on Spotify?

Back