Thread For The Over 40's Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
This talk of Leeds has reminded me of an incident I had with 'the polite hooligan', Think it was late 80's was walking to the ground when this lad walked towards us, me being the biggest he said 'you want a fight mate?', 'not really' sez me, 'ok, no bother mate'.
Surreal! :eek:

Must be a different incident you refer to. Definetly two lads, well known lads IMSC, died on the way back from shitty Oxford in '88 & we had a minutes silence the game after against Stoke.

I'm not sure of the correct year but one of the lads as a tall skinhead named Hunter......He was crackers like.

I'm not sure of the correct year but one of the lads as a tall skinhead named Hunter......He was crackers like.

that's the incident in 92 that I was referring to. Hunta was a canny friend when we were growing up. Don't know of the other incidents mentioned.

Yes, and the Sunday Sun next day showed the weapons found at the back of the Fulwell - they put them on display 2 pasting tables and the weaponry was frightening.

The Fulwell was there and was almost sick at the sight of all the casulaties being carted out with blood all owa the place as Sunderland tried to retake the Fulwell End.

Probably the nastiest day ever seen at RP.

I reckon this was the game in the 68/69 season when the Mags got in the Fulwell early and were throwing bottles and glasses up in the air and smashing them against the roof joists. The glass was spraying everywhere, there was hell on.

I always remember watching from the Fulwell a big battle on the Roker End when Wolves came on Easter Monday in 1968 a huge gap appeared when the fans separated. There was hell on when the Wolves fans tried to get back to their coaches.

Remember sitting on one of the supporters busses run by Billy Simmons and my m8 pissing in a bread packet that had had his sarnies in, tying it off and then pushing one of those square skylight efforts that ran down the center of the roof (usually bout 3 of em) up and pushing the bag out. seconds later much noise and anger from further back as said bag had re-entered the bus at the next skylight and promtly burst, showering the bigger boys in his juice. Cost us tabs and beer, but funny.

Up until away followings became easier ie the PL, easier to travel etc. no one came to SAFc in any great numbers bar the Mags and Man United. Taking them out of the equation:

Portsmouth brought a fair following at the end of one season at RP, as did WBA. Other than that i'm strugglking really to think of any team in between 1974 and say 1998 who brought anymore than a couple of thousand - even that was a rarity.

chelsea brought a fair few up in the MKSF but it shows how few have doen so when we're down to trying to remembe rindividual matches.

about 500 to 1,500 was the norm really - as I remember it.

Mags, Leeds, ManU, Liverpool, Birmingham, Chelsea......

that's the incident in 92 that I was referring to. Hunta was a canny friend when we were growing up. Don't know of the other incidents mentioned.

Dusted off me old 88/89 file and:-

"Mrs Talbot, a mother of 8, waved off her husband, 2 sons & their friends when they left for Oxford on Wednesday afternoon". Not sure of the overal carnage but, "21 year old JohnTalbot & two other back seat passengers were killed when a lorry drove into the back of John's Ford Cortina on the A1". The lads were from Percy Terrace in Sunderland. RIP. Last word to their aunty Margaret; "They were all fanatical Sundrland supporters, they use to travel all around the country watching their team".

Fuckin terrible, RIP.

EDIT: Just looked at next page in the file & the other two lads were Neil Hunter & Geoffrey Harie.

Last edited:
Hunter was before 92 cos I was around when he was lost and i left home for sunnier climes in 89. Well, Leicester anyhow

Hunter was before 92 cos I was around when he was lost and i left home for sunnier climes in 89. Well, Leicester anyhow

Have I got me Oxford games mixed up - always thought it was the cup game during the 92 run because the day before the final I'd bumped into Hunta's Mam who asked me to 'give them a cheer from our Neil'. (I did)

Remember sitting on one of the supporters busses run by Billy Simmons and my m8 pissing in a bread packet that had had his sarnies in, tying it off and then pushing one of those square skylight efforts that ran down the center of the roof (usually bout 3 of em) up and pushing the bag out. seconds later much noise and anger from further back as said bag had re-entered the bus at the next skylight and promtly burst, showering the bigger boys in his juice. Cost us tabs and beer, but funny.

Remember going to leicester away match with the gateshead lads late 70's and they used to hire this crappy old coach that had a door/stair well in the middle of the bus where they tied a placca bag so you could have a piss on the way.......and when the first leicester supporters were spotted at a bus stop the bag of piss was thrown in there general direction

Remember going to leicester away match with the gateshead lads late 70's and they used to hire this crappy old coach that had a door/stair well in the middle of the bus where they tied a placca bag so you could have a piss on the way.......and when the first leicester supporters were spotted at a bus stop the bag of piss was thrown in there general direction

Bowman's Coaches, of Birtley .........

White with an orange stripe along the sides.
Scruffy as fuck (as was the driver).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back