Thread For The Over 40's Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

My Boy Harry

Striker
Maybe it would be good to have an old timers thread.

All under 40's are barred from posting.

Perhaps we can have the over 40's giving their recollections on SAFC, their thoughts on the younguns and what they will go through based on our experience and what they think is the future of SAFC as we stand.

Could be some canny memories.....Millwall 1970's, WHU late 70's early 80's, Chelsea 1985, Roker Park etc.

Maybe it would be good to have an old timers thread.

All under 40's are barred from posting.

Perhaps we can have the over 40's giving their recollections on SAFC, their thoughts on the younguns and what they will go through based on our experience and what they think is the future of SAFC as we stand.

Could be some canny memories.....Millwall 1970's, WHU late 70's early 80's, Chelsea 1985, Roker Park etc.

I like it the way it is

when some(unt tells you "youve got school tomorrow etc" when theyre fuckin stumped for serious debate

Thank fuck for that! That Julio kid is getting on me threepenny bits.
I met up with Frente Bokeron this afternoon in CLS and we had a cracking 2 or 3 hours reminiscing about SAFC and some of the scrapes that we have been in, including our dearly departed who watched SAFC as far back as the 1920's.

It harked back to the brilliant days when football was the game we all loved but it was, as we know, rought as fuck.

some great stories about Millwall in the 1970's, chelsea and WHU in the 1980's and all in all a camaraderie that still exists to this day. We may not have seen some of the lads we grew up with from different Towns and Villages supporting SAFC for years but we all still remember their faces.

the bond is still there. It will always be there.

1st game v QPR after 73 triumph, last game cant remember would have been 85(moved south) clock stand regular- Benno v speedie did happen right infront of me:lol:most vivid memory 50 odd thousand v Bolton promotion game won 2-1 running up and down the terraces on the pitch at the end :-D Worst memory- play off v swindon (little did i know)

As for the young-uns they cant help themselves they are products of the instant gratification generation(s) and need our pity more than anything else:lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

this thread worked!

oops im not over 40, sorry carry on your fantastic debate... :p

Standing on the Roker end (before it was reduced). Someone shouted 'they're coming' as the West Ham fans ran up the steps to 'take' the Roker. Thinking back it was all a bit surreal and I don't recall any violence. Mind you, my mind is failing me a bit these days.

What about the over 50's? I've recently read the Charlie Hurley biography and it really brought back the fervour of Roker Pak in the 60's.

I met up with Frente Bokeron this afternoon in CLS and we had a cracking 2 or 3 hours reminiscing about SAFC and some of the scrapes that we have been in, including our dearly departed who watched SAFC as far back as the 1920's.

It harked back to the brilliant days when football was the game we all loved but it was, as we know, rought as fuck.

some great stories about Millwall in the 1970's, chelsea and WHU in the 1980's and all in all a camaraderie that still exists to this day. We may not have seen some of the lads we grew up with from different Towns and Villages supporting SAFC for years but we all still remember their faces.

the bond is still there. It will always be there.
Happy days, marra. But it has to be said that football in the 1960's and 1970's bears no resemblance whatsoever to footie today. <<<sigh>>>

Standing on the Roker end (before it was reduced). Someone shouted 'they're coming' as the West Ham fans ran up the steps to 'take' the Roker. Thinking back it was all a bit surreal and I don't recall any violence. Mind you, my mind is failing me a bit these days.

How cud they tak the Roker?
it was where away fans were put and the Sunlun lads under No 17 infiltrated the away fans

I'll come back on this later, however I think eventually the whole thing wears one down - the faith/hope and promise of greater things around the corner turns you into a cynical miserable fecker

Only joshing young 'un.

In the 60's?

in the late 60s it was a matter of gettin in the Fulwell early doors for away fans and tackin up a position in the cage either side of the main walkway with very few OB in between

I remember a period of my life in my 20s when I used to attend every home game (still do) and most away games - (about 1983 - 1996) During this period I was so fiercely passionate about the club / its support and everthing about it. I was critical of people who didnt go without fully understanding the reasons why. Then i got married had kids and away games slowed to a trickle - (WHED and co it may well happen to you!!)

I loved that period of my life supporting Sunderland, the 3rd division, the abject misery of relegations, nearly getting killed at York Hillsborough style. The bizzare, unbelievable scenes at Stamford Bridge when Westy scored with a police horse chasing a fan across the penalty area. In 1976/77 my first 100% home attendance year the relegation via Jimmy Hill after beating Boro, West Brom and West Ham 4-0, 6-1 and 6-0. Seeing Sunderland a number of times at Wembley and losing - the 1985 Milk Cup final, the play off final, the 1992 FA Cup final, the mercantile credit classic competition where we lost on penalties to Wigan at Wembley and of course the play offs v Charlton.

Perhaps some of our younger supporters can understand why many of the older supporters are so cynical - when everything seems OK you always know thers something to deflate you around the corner :-(

Nontheless coping in adversity is what being a Sunderland fan is all about :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back