Thoughts on yesterday

silky mackem

Full Back
Felt quite cathartic to do this last time. So after 24 hours of letting the frustration subside and allowing the game to sink in, I thought I’d put my 2p in.

As an overview, I don’t think there’s any defending the performance, we were bad for about 80 minutes of that game and I think I’m being generous there.
Sorry, but Aidan O’Brien sends shivers down my spine when I see him starting on the wing for us. The lads a grafter and has good feet but has absolutely 0 end product, he is not good enough if you want to get promoted, very typical SD regime signing.
Pritchard had his best game for us (not saying too much, really) and is maybe showing glimmers of what he can do now. McGeady is showing his age, he looks slow, unfit and I think he’s carrying a knock. Feels like he shouldn’t be a 1st name on the team sheet kind of player anymore.
O’Nien was shocking (FK’s???). Dan Neil was good 1st half and he needs to be playing further up the park, he is remarkable at finding a pass through the lines, but is lacking in the physical side of the game. Stewart did well with almost 0 service.
My biggest point of note/disappointment was Johnson’s substitutions. They were made late and they were poor.

All in all a bad game, made worse yet by the constant bemoaning of the terrible referee. We shouldn’t be giving the officials a chance to have an impact on our matches against teams at the bottom of the league.
A game we could have won, but didn’t deserve to.
Onto the next, ha’way the lads.

Felt quite cathartic to do this last time. So after 24 hours of letting the frustration subside and allowing the game to sink in, I thought I’d put my 2p in.

As an overview, I don’t think there’s any defending the performance, we were bad for about 80 minutes of that game and I think I’m being generous there.
Sorry, but Aidan O’Brien sends shivers down my spine when I see him starting on the wing for us. The lads a grafter and has good feet but has absolutely 0 end product, he is not good enough if you want to get promoted, very typical SD regime signing.
Pritchard had his best game for us (not saying too much, really) and is maybe showing glimmers of what he can do now. McGeady is showing his age, he looks slow, unfit and I think he’s carrying a knock. Feels like he shouldn’t be a 1st name on the team sheet kind of player anymore.
O’Nien was shocking (FK’s???). Dan Neil was good 1st half and he needs to be playing further up the park, he is remarkable at finding a pass through the lines, but is lacking in the physical side of the game. Stewart did well with almost 0 service.
My biggest point of note/disappointment was Johnson’s substitutions. They were made late and they were poor.

All in all a bad game, made worse yet by the constant bemoaning of the terrible referee. We shouldn’t be giving the officials a chance to have an impact on our matches against teams at the bottom of the league.
A game we could have won, but didn’t deserve to.
Onto the next, ha’way the lads.
Spot on. Pretty much the summary most people have come to. Also, great point about the ref. Those not clutching at straws realise he was just another shit part to a shit afternoon but we only have ourselves to blame.

Watched every match this season. 3 league defeats . Burton ,we played well,should have won. Portsmouth used the conditions much better than us beat us 4-0. Yesterday Charlton ,we changed the tactics and failed terribly. Team had no plan other than hoof it forward. Too many players looked of the pace.We had scoring opportunities but too many players elected NOT to pass when others were in better scoring positions. Organised teams win matches ,rest up and go again. Forget cups ,concentrate on getting out of this league.First time we looked really poor this season.

bereft mate outhought by a caretaker off the pitch and outfought on it. the bear cub froze then panicked and threw the match away. dreadful weekend mate. we may look back at 23 October as the dsy the campaign was lost ffs
Don’t agree with that mind, it’s just a single game. The campaign will be won/lost through consistency, or lack thereof. Hopefully we get back on the horse straight away.

Takes a certain mentality and application to get out of this shithole league a la Coventry Luton Wycombe Hull with a manager attitude too. We still don’t have it yet

Takes a certain mentality and application to get out of this shithole league a la Coventry Luton Wycombe Hull with a manager attitude too. We still don’t have it yet
We just can't seem to adapt to any physicality toward us. Can never seem to take the opportunity to use game in hand to advantage. Whenever the top beckons and we have relatively poor opposition to come we freeze. Its constantly occurring and has been since we dropped into this league and not one of the 3 managers seems to know how to solve it.

We just can't seem to adapt to any physicality toward us. Can never seem to take the opportunity to use game in hand to advantage. Whenever the top beckons and we have relatively poor opposition to come we freeze. Its constantly occurring and has been since we dropped into this league and not one of the 3 managers seems to know how to solve it.
We are assuming that players who have been with us throughout our failure to get us out of this league are the answer ?! Mcgeady Gooch and O9 for example

Just think we got the balance wrong in the forward areas - the three behind Stewart. Lacked pace and energy across there and that set the tone. Dajuku should have played. Few other players had a bad games, but they've been ok largely. Bit worried about McGeady, he seems a shadow of last season's player. Shame, because him on form would make a big difference in tighter games.

Dajuku, Gooch, Evans all coming back to fitness, should see some changes. We're still in striking distance and I'd back our backroom team to add a couple more difference-makers in January, if they are needed. Head up, not a bad start.

I would agree that getting roughed up is my main worry tactically this season, but have handled a few teams - Wycombe, Gillingham etc. so far this year, so I don't want to overdo it.

Last edited:
In fairness in league one, it will be topsy turvy because the quality is low and clubs usually can’t afford thick squads. Having said that, despite the games in hand, I really thought we’d be further ahead of the pack by now. Wigan especially, but Rotherham and probably Wycombe too, won’t stand still in January. I don’t expect us to either, but IMO this will be a close run thing between us and the clubs above.

In fairness in league one, it will be topsy turvy because the quality is low and clubs usually can’t afford thick squads. Having said that, despite the games in hand, I really thought we’d be further ahead of the pack by now. Wigan especially, but Rotherham and probably Wycombe too, won’t stand still in January. I don’t expect us to either, but IMO this will be a close run thing between us and the clubs above.
Ipswich and sheff wed only 7 and 8 behind now too. 2 tough away games to come we may be looking at consolidation in the play offs

Back