Those pesky white males again

• Thread starter Deleted member 45261
  • Start date

Course it doesn't. They''re all white, you tit :lol:
Fair enough. Kinda proves my point though. Couldn't be bothered to look. Black, white, male, female. Doesn't matter. 1917 was the better film.

It doesn't really make sense to me full stop really. When you get your non-exciting awards like editing or sound effects well that's usually done by a team. nobody looks into a black/white, male/female ratio. The award to goes to the best.
:eek: Ya mean there's nee Wakanda infantrymen represented on Flanders Fields? Outrage! :evil:
I thought it was nice to see black and Indian solider's represented in the movie.

Last edited:
Fair enough. Kinda proves my point though. Couldn't be bothered to look. Black, white, male, female. Doesn't matter. 1917 was the better film.

It doesn't really make sense to me full stop really. When you get your non-exciting awards like editing or sound effects well that's usually done by a team. nobody looks into a black/white, male/female ratio. The award to goes to the best.

It doesn't prove your point when you're comparing two films with purely white cast. However, if you mean a film should be judged purely on merit rather than whether or not it is all male, all female, predominantly white or featuring POC etc, then I agree.

I think when there's clearly still a lot of white privilege floating around (deal with it, there clearly is) and there are other good options around to vote for, then it does make people question the nominations - or moreover, the people who are doing the nominating.
I think they're hoping for a mix of people doing the nominating. Not to say that say POC would vote for purely POC films, or white people would do the same, but if the judges are more diverse, you might find more films getting a nod where in the past they would have been dismissed

Last edited:

I thought it was nice to see black and Indian solider's represented in the movie.
:lol: Are they? I've not even seen it yet.
Just looking at the other nominations - look what she'd have been up against man...

Scorcese - a master of his craft
Tarantino - a master of his particular brand of the craft
Todd Phillips - Joker's gone down an absolute storm and leads the way with most nominations
Mendes - another top director who just so happens to be bringing a Private Ryanesque war epic to the table
Bong Joon-ho - ok I'd niver heard of him but won at Cannes.

As if she'd have even had a look in.

Last edited:
thats such nonsense, hes just saying race or gender doesnt come into it for him when nominating which is the way it should be.

Its not as if there are deserving female nominees this year that are then not being nominated just because they are women.

The name always being referred to as a potential nominee is great gerwig and Little Women which lets face it is well trodden ground.
For me that is the key thing. Not who won or was nominated, but who missed out unfairly and there is not a lot being put up as being unfair. The article mentions an Eddie Murphy film that I have never seen advertised or talked about.

This might be a push to examine if there is a reason why non-white males are not getting the chances to produce and act in the top films, but I can't see much scope to complain at the other end. People also need to be careful that there is not the discrimination in the future to give awards to people because of their gender or origin. I know I was twice put under pressure to employ women who came second or third in the interview scoring ahead of white males who basically were able to answer more questions. I didn't, but had to put up a strong argument.

Back