This Time with Alan Partridge

Still good but not as great as it was. Laugh out loud moments here or there. Mid Morning Matters is underrated and worth back tracking on. Obviously Im AP series 1 was deemed the best, but S2 is excellent after its initial criticism when first released. It didn't quite have the pull of S1. Years later it felt just as good.I think This Time is ok, but tried and tested quips or ideas being reeled out. Maybe its meant to be that way, as its based on the ONE SHOW, a program with little or no substance whatsoever. Literally watered down crap.

Last edited:
First series was brilliant quite different. This series there's been the odd laugh out loud classic partridge moment but on the whole the 2nd series so far hasn't impressed.

They keep teasing him being booted off the show (new producer from e4 her fiancé being branded TVs new golden couple) but there's no show without him so those are dead end storylines.

Bringing John Thompson back to reprise his character from KMKY didn't work for me

Three SAS bit where he shoots the Sikh hostage bit was funny. "How many Muslim terrorists wear turban?" "...Er Sinbad the Sailor?" :lol:

The rest of last night's was pretty shit.

This Time is ok, very hit and miss but some funny moments. I'm Alan Partridge was obviously brilliant but thought he hit a real purple patch with Mid Morning Matters, Places of My Life and I, Partridge within a couple of years of each other. Can't remember if it's I, Partridge or Nomad where he describes being friends with a boy in primary school who had a girlfriend in year 4 then bumping into him at the supermarket checkout and asking if he was still tonguing 8 year olds in front of everyone :lol:

I'm sure Steve Coogan said his cocaine addiction affected the second series of I'm Alan Partridge. Something to do with genuine self loathing eating away at him while he pretended to be someone who didn't know he had it when playing Partridge.

As a character, Partridge has been consistently excellent for 30 years. That’s incredible. There’s mis-steps, absolutely, but for a creation to still be relevant for three decades, and continue to get laughs, is amazing.

This Time is, for me, one of the weaker efforts. However, there’s still a lot of good. I thought I’m Alan Partridge couldn’t be topped, but the output since then has been superb. All the one-offs are good, Mid Morning Matters was excellent, the books are great, and the podcast was superb. Bringing in new writers was a masterstroke. It has kept things consistently fresh.

Back