This team.

I think lots of them would, tbh, based on the fact that the top two from last season's League One are the bottom two in this year's Championship, and last year's League One was stronger than this year's. When you bear in mind that 8 of the 14 players today are out of contract in the summer, I think our lack of readiness for the Championship is a real worry if we get there. But we need to get there first.

I'm not sure that this year's league is weaker at all and we're comfortably better than the team who just missed out last year and better now than any of those three who were promoted, all of whom are poorer now than last year.

Agree on the keeper, Willis, Gooch and O’Nien. I know Maguire has contributed a lot this season and has played very well at times, but just can’t see him cutting it in the league above for some reason.

Hume is another contender to be fair, but he’s a bit shaky at times. Everyone is playing well to be fair at the moment so of course we’re going to have optimism, but there will be some huge weaknesses we need to fill if we get promoted.

Excluded Wright because we haven’t seen a great load of him to be honest, but looked a real leader before the injury.

Well since you’re being fair and honest what’s not to agree with

Well since you’re being fair and honest what’s not to agree with
That our first team isn’t good enough to compete without serious improvement. We’ll go back down unless we improve in all but the four areas listed. We’re playing well, but we have some players in our team who just won’t cut it at all in the championship.

Keeper
Wilis think he will excel in the championship
Hume
Onien
Dobson
Gooch
then 6 are championship standard for me we need a striker would like Clarke Harris think he would do well in the championship

Looking at them at the minute, I don't think many of them would look out of their depth, should we get promoted.

Need a better striker than Wyke, obviously. Someone similar who can hold up play but score regularly.

If Dobson and Hume continue to improve, there's no reason they can't do it in the league above.

I mean, obviously we'd like better players all over the park but these lads are starting to look like something else.

All credit to Parky who has turned a bunch of misfits into a proper team. For the first time in years we have players who seem proud to wear our colours.
Last seasons Barnsley and Luton Teams were much better than our current team and look where they are! 3 or four of the current team are decent bottom half Championship players, nota single one of our team would get a start for a top 10 team; that is the reality unfortunately.

Last seasons Barnsley and Luton Teams were much better than our current team and look where they are! 3 or four of the current team are decent bottom half Championship players, nota single one of our team would get a start for a top 10 team; that is the reality unfortunately.

I disagree. Buy another half a dozen "better" players but start with what we have, see how we go and let the new lads fight their way in.

I think this team, as it stands, is better than Barnsley and Luton of last year. We weren't a million miles from them last season and we're miles better than we were then.

Last edited:
As I say, it would be great to get better players for every position but it's not going to happen but I don't think that the majority would be out of their depth.

We wouldn't be pushing for promotion but another year or two of building sensibly and realistically with players who want to play for the shirt and I'd be OK with that.
I disagree. The vast majority of the squad would be found out badly if we went up. Keepers , Willis, McGuire , Wright ( if we keep him) & Gooch might just manage .

Just need to look at Luton and Barnsley.

we’ve been absolutely shocking at defending, silly mistakes game in game out for 5 months, we didn’t replace last season’s quality centre back pairing, with Championship capable players, and it’s cost us big time, we’ve been brilliant to watch going forward, our high press, is as good, if not better, than most in the league, our front 3 are dynamite, definitely championship quality, and our style of play suits the league, we signed a central defender with experience in January now he’s settled in we’ve kept clean sheets in our last two games, but it’s probably too little too late.

we’ve been absolutely shocking at defending, silly mistakes game in game out for 5 months, we didn’t replace last season’s quality centre back pairing, with Championship capable players, and it’s cost us big time, we’ve been brilliant to watch going forward, our high press, is as good, if not better, than most in the league, our front 3 are dynamite, definitely championship quality, and our style of play suits the league, we signed a central defender with experience in January now he’s settled in we’ve kept clean sheets in our last two games, but it’s probably too little too late.

Hope not. 😎

Whenever I’ve watched championship games this season the only difference between the leagues is the quality of finishing so admittedly, if Wyke was anywhere near our number 1 striker we may as well not bother…

That our first team isn’t good enough to compete without serious improvement. We’ll go back down unless we improve in all but the four areas listed. We’re playing well, but we have some players in our team who just won’t cut it at all in the championship.

Another way of looking at this is I'd probably take our team now over the side that came down from the Championship.

Our keeper and defence are a lot stronger and I'd happily keep Gooch & McGuire starting IF we do go up and look to replace Wyke (although a decent centre forward doesn't come cheap in the Championship)

For me the following can form a mid-table squad for the Championship:

Keeper x 2
Willis
Flanagan
O'Nein
Wright (if fit / signed permanently)
Hume
Dobson
Gooch
McGuire

That leaves another decent addition at centre-back, adequate cover for the wingbacks, an upgrade on Power and a centre forward.

Let's go up and see..parky is proving he is no mug.I would be over the moon to be worrying about this at the end of the season.

Looking at them at the minute, I don't think many of them would look out of their depth, should we get promoted.

Need a better striker than Wyke, obviously. Someone similar who can hold up play but score regularly.

If Dobson and Hume continue to improve, there's no reason they can't do it in the league above.

I mean, obviously we'd like better players all over the park but these lads are starting to look like something else.

All credit to Parky who has turned a bunch of misfits into a proper team. For the first time in years we have players who seem proud to wear our colours.
McLaughlin, Willis, Wright, Gooch and maybe Dobson. The rest are L1 players IMHO

In this division we have a good team, and a great work ethic. I am loving seeing the lads putting a shift in. Please lets get promoted, then we see what we need, if it happens, lets pick off the better younger players from this division

I reckon the Parkie will not be after major surgery to the first team. There is a winning mentality amongst the current lot and that counts for a fair bit.

As I say, it would be great to get better players for every position but it's not going to happen but I don't think that the majority would be out of their depth.

We wouldn't be pushing for promotion but another year or two of building sensibly and realistically with players who want to play for the shirt and I'd be OK with that.
The level of players that they would be up against is hugely different to what they are playing against . Willis is the pick of the centre halves and would be ok but yesterday in the first twenty minutes he gave it away at least three times in our half . You would get punished for that . The midfield two aren’t mobile enough and don’t pass it forward well or quickly enough . Hume and LON don’t have enough end product but would get by on mobility and the latters desire . Front wise Gooch and Maguire are good enough but Wyke won’t do it at that level . We are miles off being good enough but I think we will win the league . Huge work then to be done on this squad

Back