This quote really worries me...

“We picked a team that we felt was strong enough to deal with that but also had enough quality to play and I thought when we played we did okay."
“There was never going to be loads of football in the game because they don’t allow you to play, but I thought in the main we stood strong as a team and were desperately unlucky not to get something."

Now, I'm not one of these who thinks we've got a god given right, but fuck me, we were playing Gillingham.

"We did okay?" f***ing okay.

Fuck off man.
Gillingham wouldn’t allow us to play football.
There is your answer right there. Get shut man

it was a fcking appalling game of football what on earth are you talking about.. set up for a 0-0 and deservedly beaten..

Talking to someone who was there for an opinion and the gist of it was that it was an appalling game. Sunderland defending with 11 players (as though we were actually playing Man City) and it ended up being like pinball, the keeper struggling to see the ball at times, so no wonder they scored. Even allowing for the disallowed goal it still would have been 1-1, simply not good enough. This was the seventh defeat on the road and the negativity from the manager is baffling. Yes, it was set up for a 0-0 and tbh even if Gillingham had scored in the 70th minute (rather than 89th) I just don't think Parky would have been able to make the changes to get back in the game. As much as I hate the ghost of Robson crap from them up the road, I remember Sunderland being 1-0 up against the mags, they won a corner and Robson threw on their three subs; caused chaos with nobody knowing who was picking up who and the inevitable happened. There is a fine margin between poor / average managers and your good managers - PP is not the latter in my opinion.

I think there were a few, very slight, positives. Wyke perked up things a bit and Grigg had one of his better games. But there was bound to be trouble if we went behind and it was terrible to concede that late (good finish, though).

“We picked a team that we felt was strong enough to deal with that but also had enough quality to play and I thought when we played we did okay."
“There was never going to be loads of football in the game because they don’t allow you to play, but I thought in the main we stood strong as a team and were desperately unlucky not to get something."

Now, I'm not one of these who thinks we've got a god given right, but fuck me, we were playing Gillingham.

Fuck off man.

Hang the fuck about. WHY oh f***ing WHY would you pick a team to 'play' if you knew the opposition wouldn't allow you to play!?
Surely you pick a team based on the opposition and their own weaknesses to get the better of them not to pick a team that plays to the strengths of them. You're on to an immediate loser that way.

I think there were a few, very slight, positives. Wyke perked up things a bit and Grigg had one of his better games. But there was bound to be trouble if we went behind and it was terrible to concede that late (good finish, though).
There were parts of the field that Sunderland players just didn't venture into. The space to the side of the penalty box, where crosses come from, was virtually uninhabited, so with everything going through the middle we were easy to stop. Ironically, the only time a ball came across to Wyke, he scored, but the goal was disallowed by the wall-eyed ref who said he handled it! Unbelievable! The tactical stupidity of playing five at the back with Grant in front of them is mind-boggling.
Regarding the 'references' that got PP the job, I wonder if they included this. Note what happened at Hull.
Managerial record by team and tenure
PWDLWin %
TeamFromToRecordRef.
25 February 2003​
14 June 2006​
18779545442.25[50]
29 June 2006​
4 December 2006​
24561320.83[50]
22 November 2008​
4 January 2011​
11444373338.60[14][50]
28 August 2011​
10 June 2016​
274101868736.86[18][50]
10 June 2016​
21 August 2019​
15749347431.21[50]
17 October 2019​
Present​
1223716.67[51][50]
Total76828022026836.46

Fuck off man.

Shite ambition shite message.

There were parts of the field that Sunderland players just didn't venture into. The space to the side of the penalty box, where crosses come from, was virtually uninhabited, so with everything going through the middle we were easy to stop. Ironically, the only time a ball came across to Wyke, he scored, but the goal was disallowed by the wall-eyed ref who said he handled it! Unbelievable! The tactical stupidity of playing five at the back with Grant in front of them is mind-boggling.
Regarding the 'references' that got PP the job, I wonder if they included this. Note what happened at Hull.
Managerial record by team and tenure

Really good. Well done. I have come to realise that the goal was rightly disallowed (for a foul), but you're right about the space left in midfield.

Back