This new Scrooge on BBC1

I found it dark as fuck but enjoyed it. Got better as it went on.
Have advised my stepmother not to watch it as sje would get upset by the reality of it.

I enjoyed it enormously - largely because It was quite different from the many pevious adaptations I've seen.
It was well-acted - especially Guy Pearce and the longer duration allowed for greater character analysis of Scrooge and greater presence for the likes of Marley and Mrs Cratchett.
It was quite dark and lacked that Christmas fairy tale glitter. Of course it dealt with modern issues like child abuse, feminism, exploitation and corporate greed - but, equally, those were issues in Victorian times too.

Charles Dickens wrote a really good story which has stood the test of time and been adapted for film etc many times. There’s a good reason nobody else thought to totally change the story. Thought this version was really poor and completely missed the point of the original. It’s a bit presumptuous to think you can improve on a well loved story that has been enjoyed for generations. Almost as bad as changing the murderer in their adaptation of Agatha Christie’s Ordeal by Innocence.

Charles Dickens wrote a really good story which has stood the test of time and been adapted for film etc many times. There’s a good reason nobody else thought to totally change the story. Thought this version was really poor and completely missed the point of the original. It’s a bit presumptuous to think you can improve on a well loved story that has been enjoyed for generations. Almost as bad as changing the murderer in their adaptation of Agatha Christie’s Ordeal by Innocence.
I kind of enjoyed it in the end but wish they’d had the courage to bring it into the modern day if they were going to change it that much. I can imagine a blistering modern interpretation with ghosts very much of our times.

American co-production money is nowadays necessary for big TV drama but co- production often reduces the appetite for risk, boldness and originality unfortunately.

Back