This new Scrooge on BBC1

It's picked up in episode 3.
It took a while but agreed the last episode picked up both pace and drama.

Not a brilliant adaptation and could have been much shorter but it’s obviously made as US mini series stuff. I think if they’d played it out over 3 weeks like War of the Worlds I’d have ditched it by halfway through episode 2 mind.

Really enjoyed it. Perhaps it was truer to the message Dickens intended to deliver

If you want something true to Dickens then the Alistair Sim version is the one. The dialogue follows the book quite closely and quotes it in places. Or we can guess about what Dickens ‘really meant to say’ rather than what he actually did say?

If you want something true to Dickens then the Alistair Sim version is the one. The dialogue follows the book quite closely and quotes it in places. Or we can guess about what Dickens ‘really meant to say’ rather than what he actually did say?
This is the version I like best. It captures the book really well and without modern special effects still manages to be quite scary in places. I really love the book and it’s always disappointing when an adaptation doesn’t live up to the book. The BBC version tried to draw too much on Dickens’s own life rather than what he wrote. Missed out some of the more pertinent messages too- Dickens was ahead of his time in many ways.

This is the version I like best. It captures the book really well and without modern special effects still manages to be quite scary in places. I really love the book and it’s always disappointing when an adaptation doesn’t live up to the book. The BBC version tried to draw too much on Dickens’s own life rather than what he wrote. Missed out some of the more pertinent messages too- Dickens was ahead of his time in many ways.

I think the problem is that they felt they had to open it out precisely because it's been done so many times before. Not sure we needed another adaptation at all. The main flaw of the production itself is that Scrooge doesn't seem particularly frightened or affected by the whole ghostly experience, so why should the audience?

I think the problem is that they felt they had to open it out precisely because it's been done so many times before. Not sure we needed another adaptation at all. The main flaw of the production itself is that Scrooge doesn't seem particularly frightened or affected by the whole ghostly experience, so why should the audience?

I watch it every year. Never tire of it. I laugh in all the same places, get warm and fuzzy in all the same places and coincidentally get something in my eye in all the same places.

I watch it every year. Never tire of it. I laugh in all the same places, get warm and fuzzy in all the same places and coincidentally get something in my eye in all the same places.

Ah - I see what's happened. My part was meant to be about the latest version, not the excellent Alistair Sim version. My mistake.

Shout out, by the way, for the Jim Carrey animated version such is underrated and does a good job of capturing the original book visually and with its atmosphere and tone

Watched the 2nd and 3rd episodes on the player so was able to use subtitles for the mumbley bits. I really enjoyed it, a.very good spin on it.

Back