This new road

But as youve been told countless times & choosing to ignore, the new road is to grow the city which in turn will lead to private investment & the city centre improving.

You dont challenge things, you just persistantly moan
I do listen, and as I've said it cannot be our main priority.

How does a £35M road that goes from the new bridge to B&Q 'grow the city' when the road that already goes from the new Bridge to B&Q is rarely busy???

If you want to grow the city, build stuff in the city that would make people want to come. The new road may make it very slightly easier to get here, but there is still little here when you arrive.

I do listen, and as I've said it cannot be our main priority.

How does a £35M road that goes from the new bridge to B&Q 'grow the city' when the road that already goes from the new Bridge to B&Q is rarely busy???

If you want to grow the city, build stuff in the city that would make people want to come. The new road may make it very slightly easier to get here, but there is still little here when you arrive.

Its not a road that goes from b&q to bridge. Its the 3rd phase of a road that goes from the port to A19. Having good transport & road infrastructure encourages business to invest here. Not getting 'people' to come but business. Which in turn brings in employees who then spend their money here etc etc.

Its not a road that goes from b&q to bridge. Its the 3rd phase of a road that goes from the port to A19. Having good transport & road infrastructure encourages business to invest here. Not getting 'people' to come but business. Which in turn brings in employees who then spend their money here etc etc.
The £35m really is a road that goes from the New Bridge to B&Q. The new Bridge, fair enough. Only been over it about 3 times but it seems busy enough.

Once this new road gets to B&Q - how do you get to the port without going through the existing roads in the town with all the lights and congestion there? And why are we obsessed with getting access to the port? Has anyone spoken to Nissan to ask if we build all this infrastructure, will they even use our port. Or will they continue to use the Tees and Tyne?

Even if Nissan does use our port, how does that benefit the average resident of Sunderland??

Also, if the new road is to give access to the proposed business parks on the riverside, how does that encourage employees to spend their money in Sunderland? Apart from something for lunch, I can't imagine many going from the office to the bridges on a regular basis. Not to mention the fact we struggled to get any tenants for the Vaux site and office space isn't exactly in short supply in the north east.

The whole thing needed a much better vision. Massive investment in the university, moving much more of that in the city centre to support the bars and cafe's there, coupled with student accommodation in the centre too. Not just the usual stuff but scheme like they have in Newcastle, e.g. the Vita Student building.

The £35m really is a road that goes from the New Bridge to B&Q. The new Bridge, fair enough. Only been over it about 3 times but it seems busy enough.

Once this new road gets to B&Q - how do you get to the port without going through the existing roads in the town with all the lights and congestion there? And why are we obsessed with getting access to the port? Has anyone spoken to Nissan to ask if we build all this infrastructure, will they even use our port. Or will they continue to use the Tees and Tyne?

Even if Nissan does use our port, how does that benefit the average resident of Sunderland??

Also, if the new road is to give access to the proposed business parks on the riverside, how does that encourage employees to spend their money in Sunderland? Apart from something for lunch, I can't imagine many going from the office to the bridges on a regular basis. Not to mention the fact we struggled to get any tenants for the Vaux site and office space isn't exactly in short supply in the north east.

The whole thing needed a much better vision. Massive investment in the university, moving much more of that in the city centre to support the bars and cafe's there, coupled with student accommodation in the centre too. Not just the usual stuff but scheme like they have in Newcastle, e.g. the Vita Student building.

See, just choosing to believe what you want to.

The road actually goes all the way down to hylton road roundabout & not stops at B&q

Why the hell are you even mentioning nissan? What do you not understand about growing the city? The port does business with loads of companies. The plan is to increase this. Are you aware of the IAMP?

Is the new vaux building struggling to attract tenants? Top 2 floors have been taken & the council leader says therell be an announcement soon on the rest.

Uni stuff - are you blind? Theres tons going on in this area also.

The new road isnt just access to business parks, its also for better connectivity to city centre. Ie vaux site.

Youve got an agenda & just twisting for the sake if it.

See, just choosing to believe what you want to.

The road actually goes all the way down to hylton road roundabout & not stops at B&q

Why the hell are you even mentioning nissan? What do you not understand about growing the city? The port does business with loads of companies. The plan is to increase this. Are you aware of the IAMP?

Is the new vaux building struggling to attract tenants? Top 2 floors have been taken & the council leader says therell be an announcement soon on the rest.

Uni stuff - are you blind? Theres tons going on in this area also.

The new road isnt just access to business parks, its also for better connectivity to city centre. Ie vaux site.

Youve got an agenda & just twisting for the sake if it.
Let's take those points one by one.

"The road actually goes all the way down to hylton road roundabout" - is that the Hylton road roundabout that is about 100m from B&Q? The point still remains, the new road will only take you to the edge of town, it won't alleviate any of the congestion getting through the town.

"Why the hell are you even mentioning nissan?" - Because the whole project is about improving the roads from Nissan/A19 to the port? I know other companies could make use of it too but again the point remains - how will it affect the average man in the street if the port is busier?

Vaux: "Top 2 floors have been taken & the council leader says therell be an announcement soon on the rest." - It was meant to be open ages ago, there has hardly been a queue and 'soon' in the councils language is normally measured in years.

"Uni stuff - are you blind? Theres tons going on in this area also." - I must be missing what you are referring to. I suggested something like the Vita Student building in Newcastle. Can you let me know where there is something similar (e.g. the Tons going on). Where is the new high-quality city centre equivalent in Sunderland??

"The new road isnt just access to business parks, its also for better connectivity to city centre. Ie vaux site." - But the is very little congestion on Pallion new road now, the point was about priorities and we seem to have got them wrong.

"Youve got an agenda & just twisting for the sake if it." - I'm twisting because Sunderland lacks behind many other similar-sized cities in both vision and execution. I expect better but you seemed to be happy to aim for mediocre.

"The road actually goes all the way down to hylton road roundabout" - is that the Hylton road roundabout that is about 100m from B&Q? The point still remains, the new road will only take you to the edge of town, it won't alleviate any of the congestion getting through the town.

"Why the hell are you even mentioning nissan?" - Because the whole project is about improving the roads from Nissan/A19 to the port? I know other companies could make use of it too but again the point remains - how will it affect the average man in the street if the port is busier?

Vaux: "Top 2 floors have been taken & the council leader says therell be an announcement soon on the rest." - It was meant to be open ages ago, there has hardly been a queue and 'soon' in the councils language is normally measured in years.

"Uni stuff - are you blind? Theres tons going on in this area also." - I must be missing what you are referring to. I suggested something like the Vita Student building in Newcastle. Can you let me know where there is something similar (e.g. the Tons going on). Where is the new high-quality city centre equivalent in Sunderland??

"The new road isnt just access to business parks, its also for better connectivity to city centre. Ie vaux site." - But the is very little congestion on Pallion new road now, the point was about priorities and we seem to have got them wrong.

"Youve got an agenda & just twisting for the sake if it." - I'm twisting because Sunderland lacks behind many other similar-sized cities in both vision and execution. I expect better but you seemed to be happy to aim for mediocre.
Youre just repeating yourself & not actually addressing any of my points (as expected)

The new road is an extension of StMarys way, which takes you right through the town.

Increase port trade = more jobs derrr.

Vaux building - you referring to the carillion collapse?

Uni - dont know owt about the newcastle development but here theres Joplings & cassaton house off the top of my head. Along with Uni's new medical school.

It matters not that theres little congestion. Its about being proactive which you cant seem to grasp. Theres also a new village planned down by new bridge.

Ok then, what would you do & why.

Youre just repeating yourself & not actually addressing any of my points (as expected)

The new road is an extension of StMarys way, which takes you right through the town.

Increase port trade = more jobs derrr.

Vaux building - you referring to the carillion collapse?

Uni - dont know owt about the newcastle development but here theres Joplings & cassaton house off the top of my head. Along with Uni's new medical school.

It matters not that theres little congestion. Its about being proactive which you cant seem to grasp. Theres also a new village planned down by new bridge.

Ok then, what would you do & why.
How many extra jobs can we expect at the port for all of this investment?

Are any of the developments you mention actually completed or are we still planning - what Sunderland is known for - plans, only plans.

Can you remember the plans for Stadium park? The plans for Vaux? The plans for Seaburn. They'll all 10-20 year old plans.

How many extra jobs can we expect at the port for all of this investment?

Are any of the developments you mention actually completed or are we still planning - what Sunderland is known for - plans, only plans.

Can you remember the plans for Stadium park? The plans for Vaux? The plans for Seaburn. They'll all 10-20 year old plans.

Which developments specifically?

The Uni medical school opens in September. Joplings theyre currently fitting it out. Cassaton house was done last year or so. Vaux building 1 was completed last month or so. New civic starts in the autumn. Hopefully keel hotel wont be far behind and also auditorium.
Gillbridge police station is being done up by Hoults Yard to support start up business.

The seafront has seen tons of investment over last 5 years.

The only people who know sunderland for plans are those who refuse to see whats actually happened & constantly down play what we do get.

Open your eyes. Sunderland has seen more investment in last 5 years than I care to remember.

The Uni medical school opens in September. Joplings theyre currently fitting it out. Cassaton house was done last year or so. Vaux building 1 was completed last month or so. New civic starts in the autumn. Hopefully keel hotel wont be far behind and also auditorium.
Gillbridge police station is being done up by Hoults Yard to support start up business.

The only people who know sunderland for plans are those who refuse to see whats actually happened & constantly down play what we do get.

Open your eyes. Sunderland has seen more investment in last 5 years than I care to remember.
Ok, I'll look at Joplings and Casston house - point conceded.

But Seaburn? really? Have a drive down and take a look around.

I think you are right to some degree but the money they’ve got for SSTC is central government funding isn’t it rather than the councils money? I suspect the reason why it’s being done is that it was originally conceived probably 20 years ago and the funding was secured for one leg meaning they’ll have to try and complete the rest?

Uni stuff I doubt there is a market for the Vita quality of student accommodation in Sunderland. For the price of a room in vita you could probably rent a one or two bed flat.

I’d be interested to know which other similar sized cities you would compare us to?
Ok, I'll look at Joplings and Casston house - point conceded.

But Seaburn? really? Have a drive down and take a look around.

Seaburn stuff from what I can gather has been stopped as a consequences of the locals not wanting housing on that site which probably doesn’t make the alternative(s) viable at this moment in time. Obviously there has been some improvement with the announcement of Stack and a new Hotel.

Last edited:

To be fair that Jopling shame doesn’t look great other points are all positive strides in the right direction.

compare it to Tynemouth or even South Shields - we're in the shadows.

Tynemouth has predominantly been redeveloping exciting properties and it is its own village centre. It is largely just housing, bars and restaurants isn’t it?

Shields is developed and provides a particular offer. I guess the question is would you want the same on our seafront?

Tynemouth has predominantly been redeveloping exciting properties and it is its own village centre. It is largely just housing, bars and restaurants isn’t it?

Shields is developed and provides a particular offer. I guess the question is would you want the same on our seafront?
Housing, bars and restaurants sound better than the rubble of the Seaburn centre, and abandoned fairground and not much else.

Housing, bars and restaurants sound better than the rubble of the Seaburn centre, and abandoned fairground and not much else.

Agreed. I think the issue is that locals have vehemently objected that very proposal and believe want some sort of leisure centre instead.

Back