This new road

Bollocks. Why build a fantastic two lanes bridge only to reduce it down to single lane? The new road is crucial to develop the South side of the river, there's huge potential there. Put the infrastructure in now to help development. Also if we are wanting to develop the vaux site to its maximum, good commuter links are essential.
Traffic from the city centre to the queen Alex bridge can be dreadful at peak times.
We dont get anywhere near as busy as major cities. A bridge and two lanes on the south is great for a few industrial sites yet to exist I suppose .What if you're coming from the south ?
You have pallion. Hendon or the city centre to negotiate
I assumed the new bridge was to solve current problems not take a punt on Sunderlands future . I've been over three times
Once to try it out

We dont get anywhere near as busy as major cities. A bridge and two lanes on the south is great for a few industrial sites yet to exist I suppose .What if you're coming from the south ?
I assumed the new bridge was to solve current problems not take a punt on Sunderlands future . I've been over three times
Once to try it out

thats exactly why it is getting built, because hopefully when further investment is ploughed into the city, there'll be that many people coming in and out of the city that people will be saying 'eee its lucky we built that new road and bridge isnt it, before all these people started working here'.

surely even the most docile person can see that the new infrastructure will attract potential private sector investment that simply doing nothing wouldnt. loads of prime land around the new road standing derelict, 100,000 people living within a few mile radius, with high unemployment, money being spent upgrading the port.... you'd think the council actually had a grand plan if you didn't just hate them by default

thats exactly why it is getting built, because hopefully when further investment is ploughed into the city, there'll be that many people coming in and out of the city that people will be saying 'eee its lucky we built that new road and bridge isnt it, before all these people started working here'.

surely even the most docile person can see that the new infrastructure will attract potential private sector investment that simply doing nothing wouldnt. loads of prime land around the new road standing derelict, 100,000 people living within a few mile radius, with high unemployment, money being spent upgrading the port.... you'd think the council actually had a grand plan if you didn't just hate them by default
Just tell him the bin wagons will get around quicker.

Once to try it out

Theres plans to build a ton of new housing & a new school down by the pallion end of the bridge.

Theres 2 more phases of SSTC, one of which is from the city centre to the port.
The other is improvements along wessington way.

Once to try it out

The bin wagons will get round quicker

Can't stand council haters
Can't say I took that much notice of the pre bridge banter but the location seems neither here nor there to making a difference. If say you're in seaburn and heading to doxy silky or West of the town you'd get onto the a19 then drop back in not try and get through the Broadway or Durham rd etc
Your vision sounds good but that's all it is . There's far more land and better transport links away from that area to look at .

First comment on Twitter 'Destroying more land I see'. :lol: What did they think was there beforehand?
Also noticed that Doxford Gatehouse is still standing. Be interesting to see what happens with it.

Bollocks. Why build a fantastic two lanes bridge only to reduce it down to single lane? The new road is crucial to develop the South side of the river, there's huge potential there. Put the infrastructure in now to help development. Also if we are wanting to develop the vaux site to its maximum, good commuter links are essential.
Traffic from the city centre to the queen Alex bridge can be dreadful at peak times.
Disagree, I drive it everyday and never get stuck in any traffic.

will attract potential.
I quite like that.

Every time when something is going to happen in Sunderland people come on and put it down.
Yet the same people complain that the council do fuck all to improve the city.
It becomes tiresome.

did you notice the article on the the echos facebook page about the norfolk hotel today? it was fine and positive comments up until 12.30pm, probably when the scratters got out of bed

Disagree, I drive it everyday and never get stuck in any traffic.
^this, never been stuck in recent years.
Every time when something is going to happen in Sunderland people come on and put it down.
Yet the same people complain that the council do fuck all to improve the city.
It becomes tiresome.
but it's healthy to challenge the proposals they come up with. The city centre is a total embarrassment, yet we prioritise a road to solve a problem we don't have. I know budgets can only be spent on certain things, but if someone asked everyone in Sunderland what the priorities were, I doubt the traffic on Pallion new road would be in the top 100.

Last edited:
^this, never been stuck in recent years.

but it's healthy to challenge the proposals they come up with. The city centre is a total embarrassment, yet we prioritise a road to solve a problem we don't have. I know budgets can only be spent on certain things, but if someone asked everyone in Sunderland what the priorities were, I doubt the traffic on Pallion new road would be in the top 100.

But as youve been told countless times & choosing to ignore, the new road is to grow the city which in turn will lead to private investment & the city centre improving.

You dont challenge things, you just persistantly moan

Back