This new road

Hep

Striker
That goes from the new bridge into the town.

I don’t get it. If you drive from the new bridge to the town, it’s never really a problem and £35m is a lot of money that could be spent elsewhere.

Is there a reason it is being built that I’m missing?

The money given I am sure had to be spent on roads or junctions etc so for eg it could not be used on potholes.

Re the need for the road, isn’t the idea so freight wagons don’t have to use the smaller road when coming and going to the port.

This is how I understood it.

That goes from the new bridge into the town.

I don’t get it. If you drive from the new bridge to the town, it’s never really a problem and £35m is a lot of money that could be spent elsewhere.

Is there a reason it is being built that I’m missing?
Not only is the new road going to give easier access to the Port of Sunderland but it will also provide better access to the new multi-million pound business park planned along the riverside at Pallion.

Imagine if there was a crash/ incident on the QA bridge then a decent road to the new bridge is essential.
Future maintenance work on the QA can be done with less traffic disruption.
New development of the south side of the new bridge requires good transport links.

care to enlighten?

It comes out at trimdon street, so I'm not seeing the existing roads between the new bridge and trimdon street as a problem. I can't recall many congestion issues whenever I've driven there.

As soon as you hit the town, that's where the congestion will be.

It basically bypasses Pallion new road. Amazed this is a priority.

Agree,not the busiest area of Sunderland ,nowhere is really
Bollocks. Why build a fantastic two lanes bridge only to reduce it down to single lane? The new road is crucial to develop the South side of the river, there's huge potential there. Put the infrastructure in now to help development. Also if we are wanting to develop the vaux site to its maximum, good commuter links are essential.
Traffic from the city centre to the queen Alex bridge can be dreadful at peak times.

Back