Disappearance of Sarah Everard in London

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to know that road & the McD’s at the end of it quite well when I lived in streatham. Not the nicest area, but as with anywhere in London you can have £2m houses across the road from an estate mostly anywhere in the city.
thats why i wouldnt attempt a 50 minute walk at night. at least on a bike you can travel at speed to go past any hecklers or trouble. walk and you are even more vulnerable.

Agree with that, as a 6ft 2 bloke I don’t think I’d do the walk she did at 10pm tbh
in the last year or so two incidents really made me think harder about this and how women must feel out and about at night.

First one was a woman who approached me asking for help as I was walking out the station because a couple of lads were trying to crack on to her and getting a bit pushy. She asked me to pretend I knew her so they would go away. It was after midnight, they were really pushy and even made a few comments at me as they walked past. She was bricking it at the thought of being followed so I waited at the bus stop with her until it came.

Next one was worse with a young woman pretty drunk sat on the pavement, the amount of cars full of men slowing down and asking if they could drive her home was crazy. I was with another couple at the time and one bloke even got out and pretended he knew her to try and get her in his car. We finally managed to get her boyfriend on the phone and he came and picked her up. God knows what would have happened otherwise.

Even as a 6ft bloke I've found myself feeling pretty vulnerable at times walking at night to the point where i dont do it anymore. just takes a bored gang of lads hanging around to start on you and things can go bad quickly.

I'm not judging her for taking a walk as everyone should have the right to walk without being harassed but sadly it is a reality if you are unlucky. I just hope she is ok.

in the last year or so two incidents really made me think harder about this and how women must feel out and about at night.

First one was a woman who approached me asking for help as I was walking out the station because a couple of lads were trying to crack on to her and getting a bit pushy. She asked me to pretend I knew her so they would go away. It was after midnight, they were really pushy and even made a few comments at me as they walked past. She was bricking it at the thought of being followed so I waited at the bus stop with her until it came.

Next one was worse with a young woman pretty drunk sat on the pavement, the amount of cars full of men slowing down and asking if they could drive her home was crazy. I was with another couple at the time and one bloke even got out and pretended he knew her to try and get her in his car. We finally managed to get her boyfriend on the phone and he came and picked her up. God knows what would have happened otherwise.

Even as a 6ft bloke I've found myself feeling pretty vulnerable at times walking at night to the point where i dont do it anymore. just takes a bored gang of lads hanging around to start on you and things can go bad quickly.

I'm not judging her for taking a walk as everyone should have the right to walk without being harassed but sadly it is a reality if you are unlucky. I just hope she is ok.

Very similar thing happened to me in Wimbledon village, which is canny posh, as in a lass asking me to pretend I knew her, some bloke following her and trying it on

Did make me think I see certain situations or what is safe n not safe purely through male eyes, must be a totally different experience for young lasses

Very similar thing happened to me in Wimbledon village, which is canny posh, as in a lass asking me to pretend I knew her, some bloke following her and trying it on

Did make me think I see certain situations or what is safe n not safe purely through male eyes, must be a totally different experience for young lasses
it can happen anywhere in London (and probably other towns and cities). The amount of creepy sober blokes stalking outside bars and nightclubs waiting to take advantage of drunk women is shocking.

I don’t agree it’s a “jungle”

It’s mint, sorry you never got to experience living in such a great place mate
You’re only guessing that I haven’t but you’re right and I don’t want to live there .

Unfortunately a lot of it is wrong place, wrong time. You can minimise the environments you put yourself in but never completely eliminate risk.

Ive always been very conscious of my personal safety as for historical reasons and one stupid incident I lived a number of years under threat. I still practice some of the advice I received today, if I’m returning home after dark I’ll still drive to the end of the street and do a Uturn before parking up. Ridiculous really but it can be quite debilitating. I’ve stumbled home when drunk though numerous times too and never thought about it

Unfortunately a lot of it is wrong place, wrong time. You can minimise the environments you put yourself in but never completely eliminate risk.

Ive always been very conscious of my personal safety as for historical reasons and one stupid incident I lived a number of years under threat. I still practice some of the advice I received today, if I’m returning home after dark I’ll still drive to the end of the street and do a Uturn before parking up. Ridiculous really but it can be quite debilitating. I’ve stumbled home when drunk though numerous times too and never thought about it

Why do uturn before parking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back