This might not go down too well on here for some

Time will tell. It's imperative we recruit at least a left back, but preferably a right back also. Then you need them to be fit and a bit decent. It'll be more of the same otherwise.

The fans moaning are the ones that can't let go of the fact we are a League 1 club. Until we get promotion, we will be a League 1 club.

Should we get promoted, we will invest and build on that side.

Some awful footballing teams have played in the Premier League and managed a top 10 finish, it's all about results.

It's like they're wanting 5-0 wins every week or it's "not good enough" 😂

The problem some fans have, including me is the same pattern is emerging as last season. We've played pretty poorly in 3 out of our first 4 league games. Although we have luckily came away with 8 points this doesn't paint a bright future moving forward.

This points to another season of poor football and trying to scrape results. I want to see us dominate teams in terms of possession and chances created in the majority of our games. That would point to a potential top 2 finish. Relying on teams missing a string of chances, like Ipswich and Rochdale for example points to a season in the play offs at best. That simply isn't good enough.

Last edited:
Not everything is black and white mate.

Yes the squad is disjointed and unorganised, no we don't crumble, yes we were under pressure at the end, no I'm talking about generally and not just that game.

I'm not making excuses, I don't have to as we're winning games.

It's not all good but it's not all bad either .... we'll hopefully improve and winning games, with the confidence it brings, can provide a platform for that.

We are not watching the same game at all...when I say crumble, I’m talking about not even trying to take hold of the game. It’s two touches then launch it and lose possession. Rinse and repeat. I believe the players are drilled to play this way...there’s no way this is against Ross’s instructions. People keep saying the midfield is poor, the strikers are poor, the defense is poor. The fact is, it’s hard to tell who is poor when the ball is punted so much and the shape is fucked...it’s amateurish shit being presented. This football isn’t something you build on, it’s something you throw the fuck out and give your players the hairdryer treatment if they ever show this shit again...

This is for you and everyone else who has an issue with people being frustrated even though we won the game. If you’re happy grinding out wins while being second best in League 1, then good for you, have at it...I’m not, this football is not long term success. I don’t understand why Ross gets the benefit of the doubt...his credentials are no better than anyone managing in League 1 right now, except for the fact he’s able to spend more than the whole league combined and still can only manage to play hoof ball.

We are not watching the same game at all...when I say crumble, I’m talking about not even trying to take hold of the game. It’s two touches then launch it and lose possession. Rinse and repeat. I believe the players are drilled to play this way...there’s no way this is against Ross’s instructions. People keep saying the midfield is poor, the strikers are poor, the defense is poor. The fact is, it’s hard to tell who is poor when the ball is punted so much and the shape is fucked...it’s amateurish shit being presented. This football isn’t something you build on, it’s something you throw the fuck out and give your players the hairdryer treatment if they ever show this shit again...

This is for you and everyone else who has an issue with people being frustrated even though we won the game. If you’re happy grinding out wins while being second best in League 1, then good for you, have at it...I’m not, this football is not long term success. I don’t understand why Ross gets the benefit of the doubt...his credentials are no better than anyone managing in League 1 right now, except for the fact he’s able to spend more than the whole league combined and still can only manage to play hoof ball.

I haven't said I'm happy with everything and I haven't seen other people saying they are. I'm happy to be winning and I assume everyone else is.

While I appreciate there are improvements to be made I don't go along with this 'appalling/shocking/hopeless' agenda that people are supposed to accept or be branded gullible rose tinted dopes who'd clap a backpass.

There are plenty of positives we can build on ....

... or we can bring in another manager, if we can afford to, who may or may not be able to improve things. It'll mean new coaches, staff and signings in January. If that doesn't work we can start the whole procedure again.

Another good result, but it seems we were possibly lucky tonight and outplayed for large periods.

I've read their messageboard and most of the comments aren't complementary about our play e.g. If these are the best the division can offer, we should have nothing to fear etc. It's a common comment coming from many fans we play and I don't think it's sour grapes as we too ourselves know we aren't playing great. It's quite annoying really as we should be blowing teams away at times, but it always seems to be close hard fought affairs.
Hopefully at the end of the season every team is talking about how bad we are after we beat them and we are seemingly the worst team in the league yet promoted :lol: Surely there’s irony in there somewhere? 😂

I haven't said I'm happy with everything and I haven't seen other people saying they are. I'm happy to be winning and I assume everyone else is.

While I appreciate there are improvements to be made I don't go along with this 'appalling/shocking/hopeless' agenda that people are supposed to accept or be branded gullible rose tinted dopes who'd clap a backpass.

There are plenty of positives we can build on ....

... or we can bring in another manager, if we can afford to, who may or may not be able to improve things. It'll mean new coaches, staff and signings in January. If that doesn't work we can start the whole procedure again.

We are shocking and if you could, can you list the positives we should build on?

I wish we had our squad cost compared with each team in the league and see how much we are paying for each point compared to the rest of the league. I bet it’s eye popping!! Promotion or not, we are not gonna have the benefit of being the leagues top spenders forever. At some point the recruitment and football needs to be straightened out. People gloss over these performances like we’re just some small club just giving it a go in League 1. We’re not, we’re Man City compared to these teams financially, and we can’t even play the game without hoofing it aimlessly every third pass!

We are shocking and if you could, can you list the positives we should build on?

I wish we had our squad cost compared with each team in the league and see how much we are paying for each point compared to the rest of the league. I bet it’s eye popping!! Promotion or not, we are not gonna have the benefit of being the leagues top spenders forever. At some point the recruitment and football needs to be straightened out. People gloss over these performances like we’re just some small club just giving it a go in League 1. We’re not, we’re Man City compared to these teams financially, and we can’t even play the game without hoofing it aimlessly every third pass!

How much we're paying for each point?

I really don't care tbh, I support a football team and not really into computer games.

Last edited:
How much we're paying for each point?

I really don't care tbh, I support a football team and not really into computer games.

Well it kind of tells you how well the club is being run...say how much Luton paid to win the league last season and how much we paid to come in 5th...and now how much Blackpool are paying to be in first and us in 8th?

Every SAFC fan should care about that...it’s a repeat of Short. Add in the fact we have zero value in the squad.

Well it kind of tells you how well the club is being run...say how much Luton paid to win the league last season and how much we paid to come in 5th...and now how much Blackpool are paying to be in first and us in 8th?

Every SAFC fan should care about that
...it’s a repeat of Short. Add in the fact we have zero value in the squad.

I don't tbh and I'll bet there are thousands like me.

I'm a football supporter, not an accountant.

It doesn't matter how much you analyse net spend or £'s per point, there's fuck all you can do about it.

I don't tbh and I'll bet there are thousands like me.

I'm a football supporter, not an accountant.

It doesn't matter how much you analyse net spend or £'s per point, there's fuck all you can do about it.
Think thats a bit of a reductive POV Rivs. There’s stuff we can do about it. We could be harder on the owners and the clubs. We could be more savvy and put ‘appropriate’ pressure on. At the end of the day our ability to convert money into points is the single biggest factor that will determines where we can finish season after season. It’s not necessarily an issue this year - I reckon the league is worse this year and, whilst I’m not confident based on how we’ve played so far, I reckon we could well bludgeon our way up. However at every level above, our financial or talent advantage is eroded and we’ll have to rely on being better run than our rivals.

Simple fact is we aren’t making the most of our advantages at the moment and that doesn’t bode well for the future. I’m not suggesting boycoutts but the fan base could well do with being a bit smarter and holding the owners and club to account a bit better - for all of our long term futures. After all, we know all too well where a ‘dumb’ Safc ultimately ends up.

Think thats a bit of a reductive POV Rivs. There’s stuff we can do about it. We could be harder on the owners and the clubs. We could be more savvy and put ‘appropriate’ pressure on. At the end of the day our ability to convert money into points is the single biggest factor that will determines where we can finish season after season. It’s not necessarily an issue this year - I reckon the league is worse this year and, whilst I’m not confident based on how we’ve played so far, I reckon we could well bludgeon our way up. However at every level above our financial or talent advantage eroded and we’ll have to rely on being better run than our rivals.

Simple fact is we aren’t making the most of our advantages at the moment and that doesn’t bode well for the future. I’m not suggesting boycoutts but the fan base could well do with being a bit smarter and holding the owners and club to account a bit better - for all of our long term futures. After all, we know all too well where a ‘dumb’ Safc ultimately ends up.

What are you currently doing?

What are you currently doing?
Talking about it in fan communities to try to move the needle a bit and attempting to ask the owners decent, pointed questions via their fan engagement on podcasts. Is that not allowed? Are you suggesting that those who can’t purchase and run the club should just be happy if they see the club doing things that will limit our ability to progress? What’s your advice?

I must agree.

Its tricky to complain after just winning away from home, but the truth is, we were lucky again last night - they had a few very good chances that they spurned. Just like last season when we would go ahead, and get pegged back towards the end - that's exactly how it played out yday, other than they missed their chances.

We are still fragile at the back, and although we play some tidy football at times, we don't create many chances ourselves.

Its going to be a long, hard slog this season. And unless we bring in some very decent players, we seem to be totally reliant on McGeedy again
Not helped by us dropping off and inviting teams to attack. Need to play more on the front foot.

Talking about it in fan communities to try to move the needle a bit and attempting to ask the owners decent, pointed questions via their fan engagement on podcasts. Is that not allowed? Are you suggesting that those who can’t purchase and run the club should just be happy if they see the club doing things that will limit our ability to progress? What’s your advice?

What's the most pointed question you've asked, so far, and what was the response?

What's the most pointed question you've asked, so far, and what was the response?
I asked a question about our approach to analytics in both our recruitment and our play and the answer was underwhelming - though you could already tell that from the way we play, the players we buy, the results we’ve had and the things the club has said.

This isn’t a question of absolutes. It remains very early in the season. However, thus far things are pretty much exactly as they were last season and there’s no real reason to expect a different result at the end of the season if it continues. That should be a concern to all fans. There shouldn’t be as much leeway given to Donald et al on this sort of thing is all I’m saying. Ultimately being a ‘smart’ club will do a lot more for Safc in the medium to long term than outside investment. It would be far better for all of us if Safc fans asked questions about how we make smart signings rather than obsessing about spending big money.

I am starting to concede that I won't see any enjoyable football under Ross, but if we can muster the points together to get us out of this awful division some way or other then he deserves to be backed. Would be nice to do it with a bit of style but that won't happen with his approach to games unfortunately.

There shouldn’t be as much leeway given to Donald et al on this sort of thing is all I’m saying. Ultimately being a ‘smart’ club will do a lot more for Safc in the medium to long term than outside investment. It would be far better for all of us if Safc fans asked questions about how we make smart signings rather than obsessing about spending big money.

OK, I'll pass it on ....

Back