This might not go down too well on here for some

Think its been posted numerous times, teams in this league raise their game when facing us, to a lot of players , we are their cup final , the club , ground , crowd ( home and away) , make it the biggest game of some of these lads careers . I don't say that arrogantly , its plain to see when you watch the games. Its a phenomena we appear to finally be getting to grips with .
What you say is true. Some on here would rather see us play fantastic football and lose, its a result driven scenario so you can’t have your cake and eat it, personally I want to see us win and if it’s ugly so be it.

maybe so Riv but it was us flagging at the end last night, hanging on for the win against Rochdale ffs, I find it quite embarrassing actually. Lets face facts, with better finishing we would have been left with a point and this board would have been in flames, that win papered over the obvious cracks and we need to improve massively imho
I honestly cannot understand why you say "hanging on for the win against Rochdale ffs, I find it quite embarrassing actually" , seriously , why ?
They were the unbeaten home team , we are in the same league as them , except for McGeady , we have the same standard of players.
Why is it embarrassing to be hanging on for an away win at any ground ?
I don't buy this " we had the biggest transfer budget last season " excuse, means nowt that , look at villas start compared to Norwich.

" Everyone has declined from where they were when they first joined to now. Simple fact. "
Untrue, see "Charlie Wyke" last night just one example.
"choosing not to reinforce in that area as a priority was stupid at best"
The window hasn't closed , only someone with an agenda like yours would state that we aren't trying to sign a LB.
Mcglauchlin is filling in at LB whilst we look fora signing , so to moan because he is being played out of position is just stupid.

He’s had most of the summer and still hadn’t happened. Means that the new guy will then need time to adapt, which means half the seasons gone before he’s really ready.

Regarding Wyke, how many goals did he score with Bradford and then how many did he score last season again? Oh yes let’s forget all about that because he scored in the last game

He’s had most of the summer and still hadn’t happened. Means that the new guy will then need time to adapt, which means half the seasons gone before he’s really ready.

Regarding Wyke, how many goals did he score with Bradford and then how many did he score last season again? Oh yes let’s forget all about that because he scored in the last game
Lets just forget that CW was carrying an injury for most of the season as well eh ?

Only 2 of those 5 played yesterday. Everyone has declined from where they were when they first joined to now. Simple fact.

Its not fact though is it? its opinion.
Ozturk and O'nien where terrible first game of last season and a large percentage of this board never wanted to see Wyke in a Sunderland shirt again. Now all three have improved and are pretty much regulars in the first team!

still got my support like. I said I’d give him ten games, see where we’re at and we’re two points off top. Can’t really twist at that. If we play well and win (Pompey) then play poorly and win (Rochdale) then I’ll take that for the rest of the season. We can’t play well every game, we’re not playing against a bunch of school kids or Sunday League teams you know. We’re playing against teams not much worse than ourselves, we have no god given right to play them all off the park.

this place is about opinions and my opinion is that Im going to enjoy winning while it lasts, there's nothing anyone on here can do to change our situation unless they have the cash to take us over so no point getting irate with each other

Portsmouth game was the best I'd seen in a long time, looked a proper team performance

If JR talks a bit less and gets them playing like that every week I won't have a problem
I saw a different game then. I felt that our defensive marking and tackling was very poor and that service to our forwards was as bad as ever.

The last 10 - 15 minutes last night was ridiculous. We gifted up about 3 gilt edged chances for Rochdale that they contrived to miss.

Part of the problem was Ross's decision to take off Power for McGeouch. Dylan actually did OK but he did lose a couple of headers. Dobson would have been a better option IMO.

For me subsitions work 2 ways:

1. the impact of the player brought on compared to the player he replaces.

2. the (unspoken) message it sends out to the team.

If you're bringing on McGeouch it's negative. He's a very defensive midfielder. It's effectively telling the team, we're not going for a 3rd goal, we hold on to what we've got. We got bitten on the arse that way several times last season and we were very lucky to win last night.

Last edited:
The last 10 - 15 minutes last night was ridiculous. We gift up about 3 gilt edged chances for Rochdale that they contrived to miss.

Part of the problem was Ross's decision to take off Power for McGeouch. Dylan actually did OK but he did lose a couple of headers. Dobson would have been a better option IMO.

1. the impact of the player brought on.

If you're bringing on McGeouch it's negative. He's a very defensive midfielder. It's effectively telling the team, we're not going for a 3rd goal, we hold on to what we've got. We got bitten on the arse that way several times last season and we were very lucky to win last night.
You’re right about the message it sends. When I saw him coming on I thought “ well that’s it for the evening”
And I’m not a footballer. Even if it was not his intention that was the first thing that came to mind.

The last 10 - 15 minutes last night was ridiculous. We gifted up about 3 gilt edged chances for Rochdale that they contrived to miss.

1. the impact of the player brought on compared to the player he replaces.

exactly,but its like banging ya head against a brick wall sometimes

I totally agree that the performances haven't been great. However we are back to winning games which should help the lads get a bit of confidence without the burden of the 1-1 draws that were doing everyones head in! We only need to be realistic. We are in league 1 and have a league 1 squad. Not playing in league 1 with a prem squad. So it shouldn't be such a disgrace to get outplayed by teams in the same league, it is going to happen! If when we were in the prem we played terrible but picked up wins we would have been over the moon so that shouldn't change now because this is the level we are at the minute. If we start losing game after game then fair enough but we are still unbeaten and have won 3 on the bounce so get behind them!

The level of the football being produced now and for a very long time is 💩 JR what the fuck goes into the training and planning of games. That last night was one of the worst. We ain't half riding our luck.. new man needed in the hot seat.

Decent result, but it papers over the cracks & we got a football schooling by Rochdale for a fair chunk of that game. We would be up shit creek without McGeady.

Part of the problem is that playing against Sunderland takes the pressure off these teams ... sorry but it's true.

They have nothing to lose, play out of their skin and raise their game because its Sunderland.

It's noticeable that we improve in the second half because teams can't maintain that intensity.

This is just an excuse, isn’t it? The reality is the squad is grossly disjointed and unorganized. Teams get after us because we crumble...if I’m Wimbledon after watching that, I’m pressing the hell out of SAFC.

They had us under pressure the last 15 minutes and the improvement was minimal.

This is just an excuse, isn’t it? The reality is the squad is grossly disjointed and unorganized. Teams get after us because we crumble...if I’m Wimbledon after watching that, I’m pressing the hell out of SAFC.

They had us under pressure the last 15 minutes and the improvement was minimal.

Not everything is black and white mate.

Yes the squad is disjointed and unorganised, no we don't crumble, yes we were under pressure at the end, no I'm talking about generally and not just that game.

I'm not making excuses, I don't have to as we're winning games.

It's not all good but it's not all bad either .... we'll hopefully improve and winning games, with the confidence it brings, can provide a platform for that.

Back