This game against Benfica B.

jimb

Winger
Hopefully we use it as a decent scouting opportunity for a couple of loan deals should anyone impress. Should be decent test if the Porto B game a couple of years ago was anything to by when they murdered quite a strong u23 team.

Sunderland: Stryjek, J Robson, Love, Beadling, Hume, Gooch (Gamble, 76), Embleton, E Robson (Molyneux, 45), Greenwood (Nelson), Maja, Asoro

Sunderland 0 FC Porto 5

I hope we're not looking at loan deals on the basis of impressing against a pre-season SAFC side mixed with some younger players tbh. I hope we've gone a bit further than that to identify players if I'm honest.

Hopefully we use it as a decent scouting opportunity for a couple of loan deals should anyone impress. Should be decent test if the Porto B game a couple of years ago was anything to by when they murdered quite a strong u23 team.

Sunderland: Stryjek, J Robson, Love, Beadling, Hume, Gooch (Gamble, 76), Embleton, E Robson (Molyneux, 45), Greenwood (Nelson), Maja, Asoro

Sunderland 0 FC Porto 5

We beat Benfica B on the way to that final

Just aswell Man Utd took that attitude when they played against a young Ronaldo who left a seasoned pro like Gary Neville in tatters during a pre season game.
They went to sporting to get players match fit, and spotted ronaldo. I think its a bit silly fans are saying we should keep an eye on other teams players we play in pre season, when the manager and staff will be doing anyine, they arent idiots, nothing like stating the obvious.

I hope we're not looking at loan deals on the basis of impressing against a pre-season SAFC side mixed with some younger players tbh. I hope we've gone a bit further than that to identify players if I'm honest.

That is fair enough but we've seen nothing spent so far this window don't have a great deal of money and loan deals might be our only option. It does happen that teams only become aware of players when they play against them, I guess the most famous case would be when Man U only became interested in Ronaldo after playing against him in pre season.

Just aswell Man Utd took that attitude when they played against a young Ronaldo who left a seasoned pro like Gary Neville in tatters during a pre season game.
I guess the most famous case would be when Man U only became interested in Ronaldo after playing against him in pre season.
Man Utd didn't sign Ronaldo off the back of that game though. They'd been scouting and interested in him for ages.

Last edited:
Comparing us in League one to manchester united the biggest club in the world. Wow. Man utd still paid a fee for Ronaldo something which we (obviously not being as big as man utd given we're in League one) haven't got the resources to do and even if we did unearth the next ronaldo signed him on loan I really dont think it would take long for the news to break in England n he'd be snapped up by someone much bigger than ourselves quicker than he can tie his boots up and get to Ipswich away.

That's the philosophy I'll be carrying into the new season. I will however be meeting friends and getting a bit inebriated to dull the pain of watching Jack Ross think doing the same things will lead to a different outcome.
Not me. I'll be the eternal optimist as usual. It is possible for a management team and players to learn from last season's mistakes. We finished on 85 points so not as bad as some perceive. Bit of tweaking required.

Back