This Country (Again)

Not this Country but the programme This Country (in my Country overtones)
Just watched this weeks episode, The Harvest and laughed all the way through it.
Some programmes just get to the heart of where you come from, the characters you have grown up with, the bizarre and old fashioned traditions that form the fabric of village life.
Kerry, her one liners and facial expressions are executed superbly.
Swindon Town FC in every episode and this weeks mention of Sam Parkin was magical.

The programme is like marmite either you like it or you don’t.
For a lad who has grown up in big wide open spaces, beautiful scenery, fields and strange village characters this hits the right notes with me every time I watch it. Love it.

Just watched this weeks episode, The Harvest and laughed all the way through it.
Some programmes just get to the heart of where you come from, the characters you have grown up with, the bizarre and old fashioned traditions that form the fabric of village life.
Swindon Town FC in every episode and this weeks mention of Sam Parkin was magical.

For a lad who has grown up in big wide open spaces, beautiful scenery, fields and strange village characters this hits the right notes with me every time I watch it. Love it.

Great ending. Loved the reference to the greatest character in the series at the end. Rob Robinson.

My favourite comedy for a very long time.

Great ending. Loved the reference to the greatest character in the series at the end. Rob Robinson.

My favourite comedy for a very long time.

Have to agree.
I just relate to it in every way. Life was just like that growing up and when I catch up with Mates from old and the same old stories come out you still laugh until it hurts.
My childhood was so special, we had little money but our stage was massive open spaces that we exploited to the full. My mischievous behaviour is all down to my earlier years in life. The programme delivers it so well.
Could tell you so many stories.
Always remember when the local farmer used to let us dig worms for fishing in his manure pile and when he went out with his Mrs we managed to get chickens and a sheep into his kitchen :)

My Mam's the same with stuff about rural Scotland where she grew up. In her view everything you see in Local Hero is basically a documentary

I loved it. There’s talk this morning of them making a fourth series, I hope they do. But then again I think it finished on a high so maybe just leave it there. Some excellent one liners over the whole program.

What village did you grow up
in ?

Absolutely love this.

Didn't realise till this week that all of the characters have Facebook profiles; some of the photos are fantastic :lol:

The train episode was fantastic. I was crying laughing when the shoe was hoyed on the train.
All the cast are related.

Len and kerry's dad are brothers.

Kerry and Kurtan are related. Kerry's dad is her real dad and Kerrys Mam's voice is Kerry!

Last edited by a moderator:
My Mam's the same with stuff about rural Scotland where she grew up. In her view everything you see in Local Hero is basically a documentary

It’s the village characters you never forget.
Health and Safety went out the window.
I had a shotgun at 14, an air rifle at 12 and permission to shoot on so much land it was heaven.
I watch my kids playing x-box and wouldn’t swap their childhood with mine.
Kerry's mum is my favourite, followed closely behind by Mandy.

Kerry, What, Kerry, What, Kerry, What ...... :)
What village did you grow up
in ?

A little village called Harwell.
Surrounded by Orchards. Completely spoilt now.

Last edited:
Absolutely love this.

Didn't realise till this week that all of the characters have Facebook profiles; some of the photos are fantastic :lol:

Fireworks were mental. We made the perfect rocket launcher taking the bar off the cricket pitch roller. :lol:
You could hit a car at 30 yards. Nobby Whitehead shot one through his Sisters bedroom window :lol::lol:
The train episode was fantastic. I was crying laughing when the shoe was hoyed on the train.

Kerry and Kurtan are related. Kerry's dad is her real dad and Kerrys Mam's voice is Kerry!

My shoe is on its way to Paddington. :lol:

We had the best stink bombs out, I kid you not you would be sick.
The farm had some geese that were so old they would lay eggs that became rotten. “Edna” the one eyed goose was vicious thus you had to go in a pair.
One would entice the goose to chase you, the other would grab an egg.
My Brother had one in his paper bag and it popped. We were scraping scrambled egg off the Sunday papers, as we put them through the doors :)
I was sick as the smell to this day was worse than dead flesh.:lol::lol:
Make the vicar a cup of tea

The Vicar is a dead ringer to our old one.
Never forgave my Mum for sending us to Sunday school. She gave up after the Vicar told her that we only attended the once.
We used to sit behind the village hall hoying stones at cans until it was time to go home.
The old village hall got burned to the ground. To this day we all have a story tell who was guilty ;)

Last edited:
It’s the village characters you never forget.
Health and Safety went out the window.
I had a shotgun at 14, an air rifle at 12 and permission to shoot on so much land it was heaven.
I watch my kids playing x-box and wouldn’t swap their childhood with mine.

Kerry, What, Kerry, What, Kerry, What ...... :)

A little village called Harwell.
Surrounded by Orchards. Completely spoilt now.
Is that Harwell nr Didcot. Had an aunt lived in blueberry nice down there

Is that Harwell nr Didcot. Had an aunt lived in blueberry nice down there

Indeed Blewbury know it very well. Lovely village.
A few Mates used to live there. One of my best Mates, (still watches the Town home games) his Parents used to own the Post Office although he now lives in Lambourne, the home of so many race horses.
Harwell is almost joined with Didcot now, completely spoilt by housing expansion. Glad to have moved out as the Village I now live in is very remote.

Visited the village it's filmed in last month. All of the main locations are within a minutes drive. Had a pint in the Keepers (It's not actually called that but it's the real pub in the village square). Worth a visit if you're passing down the fossse way

Best episode? Im going for the book club one but love 'threatening letters' too. Anything with Mand in. I think her conversations with Kerry and Kurtan are the highlight.

'You lost your half brother. You think thats bad? I lost my whole brother.'

Back