Thinking of getting VR

Haven’t played many games since the kids were born but would love to do some VR RPGs but don’t know where to start.

I have a PS4 and No Man’s Sky, and Horizon Zero Dawn which have been unplayed for years. Have played Skyrim on the PC when it first came out. So I’ve been swayed towards the PSVR albeit the wires out me off. I’ve tried oculus a while back but I think the games don’t look as good?

I’ve seen some stuff online about modding Skyrim to make it really great, and something about using a pc with oculus but I don’t have one (MacBook Pro). I might also like to try some fitness stuff like kick boxing or summat.

Should I get one and if so which one?

Think PSVR 2 is on the horizon but not sure when it's out.

I've got the original psvr. Good fun but a bit dated now. No fun playing on your own, it's much more fun with mates as you get to see their reactions when playing the likes of Res Evil 7.

Think PSVR 2 is on the horizon but not sure when it's out.

I've got the original psvr. Good fun but a bit dated now. No fun playing on your own, it's much more fun with mates as you get to see their reactions when playing the likes of Res Evil 7.
Why is it a bit dated?

And there’s nee chance of me playing owt with Zombies. I shat myself playing the original Half life on the PC in 1998, and I’ve never played anything similar since.

Why is it a bit dated?

And there’s nee chance of me playing owt with Zombies. I shat myself playing the original Half life on the PC in 1998, and I’ve never played anything similar since.

I think the tech and graphics are dated compared to the newer headsets. I haven't actually tried the occulus tbh but I've heard it's really good. Mind, if you already have a ps4 then a psvr might not be bad to dip your toes in. The PSVR 2 will probs cost a fortune when that's released.

I gave my partner a go on RE7 a few years back but had to take the headset off her as her heart was literally beating out of her chest.

I have a PSVR and a Oculus quest 2. The oculus is much better but you do need a PC to get the best games on it like Skyrim and Half-life etc.
How does it work with a PC? Does it just connect over Wi-Fi? Would it work with a MacBook Pro using boot camp?
I think the tech and graphics are dated compared to the newer headsets. I haven't actually tried the occulus tbh but I've heard it's really good. Mind, if you already have a ps4 then a psvr might not be bad to dip your toes in. The PSVR 2 will probs cost a fortune when that's released.

I gave my partner a go on RE7 a few years back but had to take the headset off her as her heart was literally beating out of her chest.
My mate has been an oculus tester from day 1, I think he might have shares. He did a demo for us a few years back flying through the solar system and it was pretty mental.

I’ve also seen something about playing non VR PS4 games on it. Is that any good?

Last edited:
How does it work with a PC? Does it just connect over Wi-Fi? Would it work with a MacBook Pro using boot camp?

My mate has been an oculus tester from day 1, I think he might have shares. He did a demo for us a few years back flying through the solar system and it was pretty mental.

I’ve also seen something about playing non VR PS4 games on it. Is that any good?
You can use a usb C wire or WiFi to connect to the PC. I'm not familiar with macbooks so can't comment on that.

I sometimes use mine to watch Netflix on just for the novelty of it being a huge screen.

The new Oculus pro looks class. £1500 like

Oculus Quest 2 is great value, some of the games have pretty good graphics. Most games are regularly updated and enhanced as well.

The bairn got a quest 2 last year and the novelty wears off pretty quickly, after the initial excitement and hours playing on it it went in the cupboard for months. My advice would be get a 2nd hand one, especially if its a quest 2 as they've chance the name to meta and stuck an extra £100 on it.

I really wouldnt bother, especially if you were thinking of the orginal Playstation VR. I bought it at the start and the novelty wore off very quickly. Its also a real faf on to setup. I sold it pretty quickly and luckily just a couple of weeks before they dropped the price

Why is it a bit dated?

Give it a try..You can get one for £75-85 in Cex (headset and camera).

I've had most VR systems and still like to go back to my PSVR. Loads of cheap games, I think No Man's Sky is a bit grainy on the old PS4 (better on Pro or PS5) If you can get away with the No Man's Sky graphics.... all other games will look better.

If you wanted to get a Quest and hook it to a PC you'd need a better GPU that say 1060 (basic). I'm not really a fan of it stand alone.

I bought the boy an Oculus and he used it now and then but usually to ply dancing games and stuff with his sister. I use it a lot to play Dirt/acc and it’s absolutely class but I can’t comment on any other types of games as that’s all I’ve personally used it for.

It’s very popular in sim racing.

I’m not really one for graphics. As long as they’re not stupid.

@HellsBells i love playing mine. We played it constantly when we first got it but now it’s an every other week thing but it’s always good fun.
There’s tons of fun games, my favorite is Moss, it’s so simple but looks fantastic.

I have a PSVR and a Oculus quest 2. The oculus is much better but you do need a PC to get the best games on it like Skyrim and Half-life etc.
Might be a daft question, but how does aiming work? Is the motion of the headset basically mouse-look? Is there still a crosshair on the screen? Sounds like that would be class for aiming if so.

Are most PC games set up to work with VR now?

Might be a daft question, but how does aiming work? Is the motion of the headset basically mouse-look? Is there still a crosshair on the screen? Sounds like that would be class for aiming if so.

Are most PC games set up to work with VR now?
Yeah head movement acts like a mouse then you will use your arms to aim with the controller. I don't think there is a cross hair on Half life but it's been ages since I played so could be wrong. There isn't a massive amount of AAA games that use VR but you can get Skyrim and Fallout etc. Look on steam for others.

Back