Things you regret not doing?

Working in academic science, I've met or answered the phone to a few Nobel Prize winners in similar circumstances. James Watson, of DNA fame, was introduced to me and a couple of office mates as Jim by their boss (not mine) who's a science hotshot and a family friend of James Watson, of DNA fame.

I should point out that the Jim you're referring to is not the same Jim that I'm referring to.

Jim Watson is an absolute prick.

Working in academic science, I've met or answered the phone to a few Nobel Prize winners in similar circumstances. James Watson, of DNA fame, was introduced to me and a couple of office mates as Jim by their boss (not mine) who's a science hotshot and a family friend of James Watson, of DNA fame.

I should point out that the Jim you're referring to is not the same Jim that I'm referring to.

Did you ever see James Watson, of DNA fame, with Crick, of DNA fame?

Many things.

Turning down a raf bursary for fast track fast jet pilot

Turning down a contract at Newcastle falcons

Turning down a contract at Leeds rhinos

Opting for army over marines

Choosing to play that rugby match that ended up with a broken neck and no forces career

Worst of allturning down coaching the daytona beach women's rugby team :( they're not like lady rugby players here

Not moving to London when I had the chance.
Not moving back to Canada when I could have.
Not doing Helen who I used to work with when she was well up for it.
Very very similar

Really wanted to live in London for a few years.
Turned down a chance to live in Edinburgh

Really really should have banged Jill in college.

Not sticking in at higher education to better myself / enable myself to get a profession (resulting in endless low paid menial office jobs over the last 25 years).
Never too late.
My missus is 40 and just about to complete her Nurse Practitioner degree.
I was ‘slightly’ older than that when I finished my doctorate.

Get back into it man woman. Don’t see the obstacles see the opportunities beyond them.

Nothing really, I'm happy. Obviously I could have went a down a different route with some fairly major decisions but who knows how it would have worked out? Probably slightly better or worse.

I've told a couple of mates to get lasses bucked when they were waffling on about 'ruining a friendship' bullshit. Within months they hadn't bucked them and were no longer close friends. More fool them, I have no such regrets :)

I know. He's got a eugenics thing going on and he's incredibly obnoxious. He is famous though. The late Max Perutz was a gentleman though, the late John Sulston was ace (also my ultimate boss at one point, I guess) and Paul Nurse is a chatty gregarious fella.

He’s a complete dick to women he works with as well.

Paul is great. Looks like a Harry Enfield character to boot.

Fuck all, life’s great and enjoy the good times and come through the bad times.

I could have picked the winning lottery numbers but I haven’t so far, no regrets.

Never too late.
My missus is 40 and just about to complete her Nurse Practitioner degree.
I was ‘slightly’ older than that when I finished my doctorate.

Get back into it man woman. Don’t see the obstacles see the opportunities beyond them.

With hindsight, 21 was way too young to start a doctorate for me. Ended up hating it and fled academia the moment the door closed on my viva (literally the most enjoyable part of the process that). It’s worked out like as obviously there’s greater earning potential where I’ve ended up but I do sometimes wish I’d done a masters, or taken an entry level job in industry for a couple of years first.

Back