Things You Didn’t Know

1/ Despite inventing Fibre Optic Communication back in 1966, the UK has some of the lowest speeds and % coverage of the developed world.
2/ In March 2019 the UK clawed its way on to a list of the top 64 countries using fibre optic communication.
3/ It currently sits in 63rd position ahead of Jordan but is predicted to be the world leader by 2025.
4/ A single fibre optic core with a diameter of 125 microns (width of a human hair) can host 37 million telephone calls at the same time.
5/ I am currently attending a fibre optic splicing course and boring lots of people with these facts.
Incorrect. European hair is typically 40 - 60microns, Asian hair typically 90 - 120microns.

Love owt like this, me like

It’s not necessarily conclusive reading that page.

My science teacher taught this phenomenon on a number of occasions. He stated that it was due to energy changes in the specimen. The hotter the water in a given temperature environment would naturally shed energy and decrease in temperature faster than a lower temperature (energy) specimen. It’s the rate of loss that’s increased.

What is interesting is the kink in the temp curve prior to flat lining on both samples.

From tonight's "Britain by bicycle with Larry and George Lamb" tv programme.
When you look through the telescope at Kielder into space the light from some of the distant stars has travelled for 21 million years before it reaches your brain.

Rizla+ tab papers were started by a French bloke, Pierre Lacroix, in the 17th century, but didn't take on the RizLa+ name until the 19th century when they started using rice paper. So "Riz" is the French word for rice and the La+ is the name of the family - Lacroix (The Cross). At some point they changed the capital L to lower case l. I know I've seen some Rizla's with the capital L, but they might have been a one-off retro thing.

Whilst looking up info about absolute zero, discovered that there is a maximum possible temperature....

absolute zero is, in essence, when all movement stops. The temperature is reached at -459.67 degrees Fahrenheit (-273.15 degrees Celsius)...... the highest possible known temperature is 142 nonillion kelvins (1032 K.). This is the highest temperature that we know of according to the standard model of particle physics, which is the physics that underlies and governs our universe. Beyond this, physics starts to breakdown. This is known as Planck Temperature.

Source: Futurism.com

That Wednesday only has two syllables!

The Chase asked yesterday which day of the week has most syllables and the answer was Saturday.

I'm like, "What about Wed-ns-day?"

Looked it up and it's pronounced "wenz-dey".

Mind blown and everything I know is now wrong :(

"Wens-day" is southern I think. It should be 'Woden's Day' so it's three.

Back