Things that really excited you as a young'un.

Frogs and newts
I was a bit obsessed- spent a whole summer moving the entire contents of a big pond that was in the middle of a new housing estate and going to be built over. A bucket on each side of my chipper( slightly shit smaller chopper) full of mildly irritated amphibians.
That and Linda lusardi.

Finding dumped dirty magazines in bushes. "Better clear these out the shed before the wife finds them." And pay the paper bill before the Mrs does. Bet the understanding nod from the woman on the counter was awkward.

Cup finals FA and Europe.
Flash Gordon on every night for 10mins then a cliffhanger.
Going to bed watching it snowing heavily. Hoping for school closures
Subbutteo
Action Man, buried my Desert Rat one and never found him. Some fucker must have been watching.
£1.20 on the Hammels bus from Stanley to Sunderland to watch the lads £2.50 in, 50p program and 80p left to get a pie. f***ing loved football from the year dot and always will.

My Dad worked away on the ships for a couple of week our months a time depending on what was happening, and my favourite part of my family childhood was the last few days of pure excitement waiting for him to come home, its a simple thing but it really was something that got me excited, think back now and me ma used to do all the hard work of looking after us and then me da used to get all the loving and fun with his little ones

Good shout. Mind, I've never saw a ship launch as a kid, wish I had done.

This. On a one off basis. Not sure what year it was, but we had a school outing (no, not that sort) to go to the banks of the Tyne to watch a launch. Be sometime roundabout 1962-1967. That was quite exciting. I think the ship was called the Northern Star, from Walker Naval yard.

Edit. And Conker season every year. Used to go to Stocksfield and Bywell. Climbed some massive trees.

Last edited:
Davey Brown caught fire mid 80’s iirc?

I live only two streets up at the time.

I had left Sunderland by then but when Air Products caught fire the gas cylinders were taking off like rockets and landing a quarter mile away. The little place they had round the back of the main place was completely destroyed.

Getting hold of the Xmas Radio Times and TV Times first and ringing all the fillums and TV shows I wanted to watch. Then working out the deconflictions between the three channels. Also working out which ones I’d trade, for example Battle of the Midway was not going to lose out to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. But I would trade Von Ryan’s Express for the Goodies Xmas Special.

I had left Sunderland by then but when Air Products caught fire the gas cylinders were taking off like rockets and landing a quarter mile away. The little place they had round the back of the main place was completely destroyed.

For my sins, I went to Pallion Primary and remember doing fire drills and the teachers mentioning about Air Products.

For me...

Going into the garden at night with a torch.
Waiting for 'The Goodies' to come on.
Hearing the Ice Cream van coming on route.
Running and jumping along paving stones, trying not to touch the lines and cracks.
Going to a disco.
Setting my Hornby train set up.
Climbing trees.
Watching the waves of a rough sea splashing against Seaburn, Ryhope and Hendon coast.

:D

The Goodies...class.

Listening to War of the Worlds
Looking at the Radio/TV Times to see when Zulu and Waterloo were on.
Getting an Airfix Assault set

• Staying up late for Late Night Raw on a Friday night.
  • Getting up early for Soccer AM on a Saturday morning.
  • Getting up an hour early to watch WWF pay-per-view that had been recorded from the night/early morning before school.
  • Travelling up to Doune & Calander to visit my dad's family.
  • Waking up at 4am on Christmas Day to open my presents before my dad went to work. He'd always work the early shift so he could get home for an hour in the club before making our dinner. This routine still happens but I'm now 27, wake up at a normal time and then join him in the club for our traditional pint in the local.
  • Summer Holidays.
  • Fire drills at school. Impromptu opportunity to get up and walk out of lessons.
  • Lunchtime football at school.

Sat here with major, major sunday blues wanting to go back to those times. :cry:

Back