Things that really excited you as a young'un.

Buying from a joke shop. Bangers and tricks.

Buying a pen knife

My set of walkie talkies.

Playing snooker at Butlins

Dodgems

Making a school party hat for Christmas.

School football games

Ogle at the pretty girls in class

Pulling a wheelie on my grifter.

Having a shandy in a beer garden. Usually the Copt Hill.

Group of us 13/14 year olds fighting over wheir the curtains on the side window of the downhill clerb were not closed properly,,on a sunday morning desperately trying to get a peek of the strippers.

The A-Team on a Saturday tea time.

Nothing else.

Part time Skunk - wasn’t even at the match.

All the lasses knocking about the town with their yellow work uniforms, getting pissed before they went home cos they had early knock offs.

Last edited:
Walking over the town bridge and smelling vauxies thinking one day I will be able to drink that, the fucker shut down before I could get my first official legal pint of vauxies brewed beer.

The A-Team on a Saturday tea time.

Nothing else.
A team was a Sunday weren’t it? As it was either before or after blockbusters and it was bath neet before school the next day? Or has my childhood been a lie all these years?.

Trips to the arcades and the pictures.
Also watching films on those new-fangled video cassettes.
Loved lining up at the pictures down the town and nipping across the road for gravy and chips in that little shop facing the pictures. The smell of the cinema too, it felt something special and that smell is linked forever to new movies.

Last edited:
Walking over the town bridge and smelling vauxies thinking one day I will be able to drink that, the fucker shut down before I could get my first official legal pint of vauxies brewed beer.

A team was a Sunday weren’t it? As it was either before or after blockbusters and it was bath neet before school the next day? Or has my childhood been a lie all these years?.

Loved lining up at the pictures down the town and nipping across the road for gravy and chips in that little shop facing the pictures. The smell of the cinema too, it felt something special and that smell is linked forever to new movies.
Loved the vaux smell, always pestered my old man to go into the stables round the back for a look at the percherons iirc

Used to love the excitement of going to gigs at the city hall. Late 70's/early 80's there was some great bands on there, top bands.
It's all bloody tribute acts now.

Blockbusters was on weeknights, not just restricted to a Sunday.
A-team was the saturday tea time action show, used to all sit down as a family and watch it, and it wouldn't have been on a sunday because me dad was always fast asleep from sunday afternoon in the bar. A tradition he has carried on to this very day.

From the Wikipedia page about the a-team:

In the UK, the program was shown on ITV, starting on Friday, July 22, 1983; when it returned for its second run (resuming mid-second season) it moved to Saturday evenings. The series continued to be repeated on ITV until 1994. The series was later repeated on UK Gold from 1997 through 2007 at various times. It was also repeated on Bravo from 1997 to 1999. It returned to the channel in 2008 until the channel’s closure in 2011.

Blockbusters was on weeknights, not just restricted to a Sunday.
A-team was the saturday tea time action show, used to all sit down as a family and watch it, and it wouldn't have been on a sunday because me dad was always fast asleep from sunday afternoon in the bar. A tradition he has carried on to this very day.

From the Wikipedia page about the a-team:

In the UK, the program was shown on ITV, starting on Friday, July 22, 1983; when it returned for its second run (resuming mid-second season) it moved to Saturday evenings. The series continued to be repeated on ITV until 1994. The series was later repeated on UK Gold from 1997 through 2007 at various times. It was also repeated on Bravo from 1997 to 1999. It returned to the channel in 2008 until the channel’s closure in 2011.
What I thought about my childhood was a lie all this time, unless bath night was Saturday but that wouldn’t make sense for school and there is nee chance we had a vhs recorder as we were as skint as a single parent family could get at that time haha.

Womens underwear section in Kays catalogue
Guilty here :lol:

Our first video. It was magic going to the garage at Nevilles Cross to get a video out..

Buying from a joke shop. Bangers and tricks.

Buying a pen knife

My set of walkie talkies.

Playing snooker at Butlins

Dodgems

Making a school party hat for Christmas.

School football games

Ogle at the pretty girls in class

Pulling a wheelie on my grifter.

Having a shandy in a beer garden. Usually the Copt Hill.
Snooker at Butlins is right up there like

Last edited:
Dandy & Victor comics arriving
Fish and chips on a Friday
Saturday mornings:- Harold Lloyd,Laurel & Hardy, Banana Splits,Swapshop etc
England games & Olympics at crazy times of the day/night
Football Focus

Back