Thickies who get scammed should not be refunded

I cant get my head round that in this day and age and the giant strides in technology this has not been nipped in the bud. Praying on often vulnerable older people indian call centres in Mumbai are probably a bigger danger than the Indian variant.

Yes, the last thing this country needs is protection for those less intelligent than the rest of us.

It's a slippery slope. Next thing you know, they'd be reversing Brexit and taking the vote away from those people, allowing sensible parties into power instead of the good old exploitational right wingers we've been electing.
Are you saying Brexit is for thickies?

I got scammed On a fake passport website about 10 year ago. Filled in details and paid the lot, went to Durham passport office to pick it up as per appointment and details

When asked for my passport at appointment they were like well we need to fill in form and you need to pay and it wil take a few weeks etc

Anyway i’d paid this website to book me an appointment, about 100 quid. Bastards. 😂😂
I fell for one. Using ticket master it said a show was sold out so I googled for scalpers. Like an idiot I booked 2 tickets. The show got cancelled due to flooding and when I went to get my money back there’s was nothing to be seen.
could have been worse, I could have travelled to the show and got turned away. $200 that cost me the bastards.

It's a well-known fact that the more educated you are, the more likely you voted Remain, and the less educated you are, the more likely you voted Leave.

It's a truism that should go without saying that the less-educated are easier to hoodwink than the more-educated.

Brexit votes by education level 2016 | Statista
:rolleyes:

I work in infosec. I’ve found the opposite to be the case.

some of the biggest issues I’ve investigated have been with people at the higher end of the organisation where all the research and higher degrees are. Most of the common sense educated out of them.

That said, victim blaming in scamming such as this is a really, really bad idea. It makes people embarrassed to come forward and the cycle likely to continue.

In the pandemic scams have rocketed. Things designed to prey on people’s fears and catch them at their lowest ebb. Perpetrated by absolute scum. Telecoms is likely to stay as a vector for a while, until number spoofing is sorted out by stir/shaken or something.

We haven't had a landline plugged in the socket for at least a decade. Cannit even remember what our number is.

Hate websites that ask if you want to save your payment details for the future and automatically tick the box for yes (so you have to decline). Taking 10 seconds or so to fill my details in on the odd occasion I buy owt online is absolutely nee hardship.

some of the biggest issues I’ve investigated have been with people at the higher end of the organisation where all the research and higher degrees are. Most of the common sense educated out of them.

That said, victim blaming in scamming such as this is a really, really bad idea. It makes people embarrassed to come forward and the cycle likely to continue.

In the pandemic scams have rocketed. Things designed to prey on people’s fears and catch them at their lowest ebb. Perpetrated by absolute scum. Telecoms is likely to stay as a vector for a while, until number spoofing is sorted out by stir/shaken or something.

One of the "biggest issues" perhaps, as the more educated will tend to have more to lose, so when they do fall for a scam they'll lose more on average than the less educated would, and therefore it'll be more likely to appear on your radar as someone collecting statistics on it.

Many of the most poorly educated will have nothing to steal at all, and many of them won't even have computers or technology through which they can be scammed, (and yet will still go out and vote, relating this back to the Brexit conversation). Those people won't even show up in your statistics.

If you do this for a living, I'm sure I'm "trying to teach my granny to suck eggs" by mentioning it though. :lol:

Most of the common sense educated out of them.

What?

got called the other day with an automated one saying:

'' your NI is subject to fraudulent activity and will be cancelled''

When I stayed on the line an indian fella answered 'how can i help you today?'

The conversation ceased immediately when i pointed out he rang me!! wankers deserve everything they get.

Also people shouldnt be punished for being too trusting. They arnt the ones commiting a crime

I cant get my head round that in this day and age and the giant strides in technology this has not been nipped in the bud. Praying on often vulnerable older people indian call centres in Mumbai are probably a bigger danger than the Indian variant.
I get one or two calls a month from Asia people with a "beautiful British name" (copyright publandlord), something like Susan, Wendy, Peter or Jimmy. The call usually starts, "Hello is that Mr A****** A******** " I never answer their question I just ask them questions instead, "Who are you" Why are you calling". As soon as they come out with their telephone name I'll call them out on it. "No you're not, your name isn't David, why would I buy something from you when you even lie about your name, goodbye".

I get one or two calls a month from Asia people with a "beautiful British name" (copyright publandlord), something like Susan, Wendy, Peter or Jimmy. The call usually starts, "Hello is that Mr A****** A******** " I never answer their question I just ask them questions instead, "Who are you" Why are you calling". As soon as they come out with their telephone name I'll call them out on it. "No you're not, your name isn't David, why would I buy something from you when you even lie about your name, goodbye".
That's quite polite of you, I've been known to tell them to F off. 😉

On Sunday l I got the same text from the Royal Mail. I knew it was a scam straight away and deleted it. What swung it for me is I thought about the plausibility and likelihood that they would ask me to do anything via text let alone ask me for £2.99 to have a parcel delivered. Not that I had one due for delivery anyway. Going on Who Called Me confirmed it.

A common scam text for 02 customers is 02 telling you the bill for the month could not be paid. I got one. Yeah right! It has always been able to be paid since I got my old Samsung phone and started with 02. I now have an Apple iPhone 11.

I delete straight away any and all texts from anything that I don’t recognise. Isn’t familiar. I got a text from the Eye Infirmary confirming an appointment for Tuesday at 11 am. That I do recognise because my dad does have one this Tuesday to have something done. It’s sent to my phone because iirc it has something to do with the fact he asked me to use my number to receive texts as he didn’t have one at the time. I got a text from the B&Q in Washington who said an order for four garden chairs were ready for pickup. I did order some. But not texts from people like the Royal Mail who ask me for money for orders I did not make. The whole thing is extremely implausible.

If only people would stop for just a tiny while and thought about how likely it is that I think would see so easily how ridiculous it is.

Last edited:
The reason you get the calls is because you answer. Even picking up the phone and swearing at them has a value for the scammers. They sell your
number on as a live number and the spiral continues.
It won't even be scammers he's abusing.

It will be the poor folk up and down the country working in outbound contact centres having to ring him because he's too thick not to opt out of calls on the dodgy websites he's signing up to.

I really enjoy abusing the telephone scammers.
I had one the other week who fought back. Right little twat he was.
"Your father will die" etc. Was hilarious
On Sunday l I got the same text from the Royal Mail. I knew it was a scam straight away and deleted it. What swung it for me is I thought about the plausibility and likelihood that they would ask me to do anything via text let alone ask me for £2.99 to have a parcel delivered. Not that I had one due for delivery anyway. Going on Who Called Me confirmed it.

A common scam text for 02 customers is 02 telling you the bill for the month could not be paid. I got one. Yeah right! It has always been able to be paid since I got my old Samsung phone and started with 02. I now have an Apple iPhone 11.

I delete straight away any and all texts from anything that I don’t recognise. Isn’t familiar. I got a text from the Eye Infirmary confirming an appointment for Tuesday at 11 am. That I do recognise because my dad does have one this Tuesday to have something done. It’s sent to my phone because iirc it has something to do with the fact he asked me to use my number to receive texts as he didn’t have one at the time. I got a text from the B&Q in Washington who said an order for four garden chairs were ready for pickup. I did order some. But not texts from people like the Royal Mail who ask me for money for orders I did not make. The whole thing is extremely implausible.

If only people would stop for just a tiny while and thought about how likely it is that I think would see so easily how ridiculous it is.
Careful mind, eye infirmary scammers are getting very clever
I had a Kevin a while ago. Laughingly asked him why of all the names he could pick he chose Kevin

Apols to any Kevins reading

Last edited:
That's quite polite of you, I've been known to tell them to F off. 😉
Being a well brought up Englishman I am very polite whenever a female scammer calls me. Normally they’re from Telstra and there’s a problem with my internet. I politely tell them that there is nothing wrong at all and that they are trying to scam me. It eventually ends when they terminate the call.
If it’s a male scammer I just let them know that over a long period of time that I have been indulging in anal intercourse with their grandmother, spelling out exactly how those interactions went. On one occasion after the call was ended I was called back and was told I was a motherfucker. I politely replied by telling them that actually I’m a grandmotherfucker.

Back