These 32GB HD laptops

Could you recommend a tablet please. Mainly for my wife to watch Netflix & FB, Youtube etc which she currently uses her big iPhone for.

Does it have to be Windows? I'm still using my Nexus 7... Windows tablets are fine if that's what you want, you just need 64GB or more. If so you have to be aware that MS charge considerably more according to the screen size. A 10" windows tablet will be a lot more than a 7" one, and then it's Ipad money. It's not just Windows that kills it, a full Office install (or more appropriately the Office updates) eats up the space. I would suggest Android or Ipad. If it must be windows The linx series are ok but make sure you get the solid hinged keyboard (Turns it into a mini laptop) and not the flimsy leatherette one.

Here at Chez Roker we have no affinity. I'm android, The wife (no) has an android phone but also uses an ipad. The kids are iPhone, Ipad, android, kindle (I know it's a fork of android, but it's another ecosystem), and we also have 2 of the aforementioned Linx 1010 tablets. Horses for courses.

Personally I'd go android and chuck all the music at Google.

Been on the lookout for a cheap laptop for the wife, it’ll be used for Social Media and website use to promote her business and MS Office use, and possibly some Apple Music.

I can redirect all the music to an external hard disk, but is a 32GB hard disk enough to run Windows and O365 without having to constantly do housekeeping? Getting conflicting reports off the Internet, so over to the SMB!
32gb, as has been stated, is far too small. If you're going to get it you'll NEED to upgrade the HDD, so bear that in mind.

It may look like a good deal, but by the time you've spent £100 on a new hard drive you'll be saving nowt (and you'll still have a shit lappy).

32gb, as has been stated, is far too small. If you're going to get it you'll NEED to upgrade the HDD, so bear that in mind.

It may look like a good deal, but by the time you've spent £100 on a new hard drive you'll be saving nowt (and you'll still have a shit lappy).

New hard drives are pretty cheap even if they are solid state. If I was him I would buy a used lappy and if needs be put a used SSD into it.

The first PC I bought in 2003 had an 80GB hard drive. 32GB is decent now for a mobile phone.

The first PC I used had a 20MB hard drive and 2 x 5.25" floppy's.

It happily installed Windows 3.11, WordStar, Gem Desktop, Excel, my development stuff which was Clipper (4gl based on dbase) and shit loads of other stuff.

New hard drives are pretty cheap even if they are solid state. If I was him I would buy a used lappy and if needs be put a used SSD into it.

Get one of the new Seagate 14TB drives. £530 :lol:

You'll be able to put office and windows on the disk then stick in a micro sd card for documents, music etc. Unfortunately the office 365 click to run installer will stick office on the system drive and changing that is a bit of a chore. Just make sure that you redirect all your normal files to the micro sd card and youll be fine. The first time you insert windows should pop up asking what its for just tell it, or if you miss the prompt you can open file explorer and click one of the libraries at the top like "documents", hit properties the change where it points on the location tab. You can also move other programs and shit there and tell windows to build its update cache there, but it should do that automatically once you have windows 1803 on which should install as soon as you conenct the thing to the internet if it isnt installed oob.

You can get sd cards up to 2tb now but honestly i cant see you ever needing that. 256 class 10 should be reet.

Make sure you set up onedrive.

Last edited:
If the hdd is 32gb I have to wonder how shit the rest of the specs are. Is it from the 90s?
These are those uber-cheap "internet machines" that the likes of HP created to compete in the "Chrome book space".

They are as shit as you'd expect them to be.

I'd avoid at all costs. £300 is a good budget for a cheap laptop, or just buy the chromebook.

Does it have to be Windows? I'm still using my Nexus 7... Windows tablets are fine if that's what you want, you just need 64GB or more. If so you have to be aware that MS charge considerably more according to the screen size. A 10" windows tablet will be a lot more than a 7" one, and then it's Ipad money. It's not just Windows that kills it, a full Office install (or more appropriately the Office updates) eats up the space. I would suggest Android or Ipad. If it must be windows The linx series are ok but make sure you get the solid hinged keyboard (Turns it into a mini laptop) and not the flimsy leatherette one.

Here at Chez Roker we have no affinity. I'm android, The wife (no) has an android phone but also uses an ipad. The kids are iPhone, Ipad, android, kindle (I know it's a fork of android, but it's another ecosystem), and we also have 2 of the aforementioned Linx 1010 tablets. Horses for courses.

Personally I'd go android and chuck all the music at Google.
Thanks for the advice Roker, very much appreciated !

Been on the lookout for a cheap laptop for the wife, it’ll be used for Social Media and website use to promote her business and MS Office use, and possibly some Apple Music.

I can redirect all the music to an external hard disk, but is a 32GB hard disk enough to run Windows and O365 without having to constantly do housekeeping? Getting conflicting reports off the Internet, so over to the SMB!
32gb won't even keep up with Windows 10 updates before long. You get a few add-ons and you've easy breached that mate. If you are looking for a minimal hard drive to run Windows 10 and nothing else on now I would say 64gb at a push.

They're brand new man!

Loads for sale with 32GB eMMC disks in. Need a small portable laptop (< 13") for the wife to hoy in her bag with a good battery life, like i say, just basic windows and office, nowt else.

Bought my missus the lowest spec Surface Pro 4 a couple of months back - was about £600 and is very good for what she needs it for (MS office, social media, general browsing, spotify etc). Lightweight and esy to trasnport. really good bit of kit

Back