There has been an increase in people defecating in the streets of Sunderland

Need to move the hostels out of the city centre. Probably cater for people from around the region.

Its not fair Sunderland centre has to accommodate these people, holding the gentrification back

Thats the very same place. The pharmacy down there next to burton house dishes out the methadone
Get rid out those places and the area instantly improves

that particular late night chemist shut ages ago,the Norfolk hotel has a board over the front door and padlocked so it's obviously closed down also

Once came out of chambers in the mid/late 90's to horrified looks towards where I was stood. Turned around and there was a kid in a doorway lying down, having taken a shit but got it all over himself. A right mess. Cack everywhere.

Was also witnessed by other members of this board. Can't remember who though.
It was me mate. Who witnessed it that is, just to be clear I wasn’t the shitter - it was me mate, Cowies never did agree with him :)

That I’m guessing have been shipped in from out of town .Walked through the arch on the way to Barclays on Saturday and the down and outs had Geordie twangs

Shipped in by whom?

Sunderland does not have a lot of people sleeping on the street on a night, but it may have a lot of street homeless. Sunderland isn’t exactly a big draw and it’s a bit out of the way on the coast so I’d expect the majority of homelessness in the area is local, save for those released from nearby prisons, who are often released without anywhere to live.

Shipped in by whom?

Sunderland does not have a lot of people sleeping on the street on a night, but it may have a lot of street homeless. Sunderland isn’t exactly a big draw and it’s a bit out of the way on the coast so I’d expect the majority of homelessness in the area is local, save for those released from nearby prisons, who are often released without anywhere to live.
Don’t know mate but they are not from the town ,I’m getting a bit old now so don’t know every dick head in the town but these people have just appeared .Their daft Geordie twang is another give away ...I’m guessing they are shipped about the region to get them away from problems and people etc

Don’t know mate but they are not from the town ,I’m getting a bit old now so don’t know every dick head in the town but these people have just appeared .Their daft Geordie twang is another give away ...I’m guessing they are shipped about the region to get them away from problems and people etc

the Norfolk Hotel is padlocked shut,so there's 44 out of a bed for a start

I’m in the town now ,notice there is tramps kicking about all over .Even under what was once the uni building opposite Fitzgerald’s

weirdly I've seen tramps getting off the metro on a Saturday evening and conjugating around park lane area.......but only on a Saturday night. It's interesting you don't see these people during the week
Kinda like its people masquerading as tramps to beg for money.
I once witnessed the police shifting one from next to Barclays, they suggested he'd travelled from across Tyne and Wear, just to beg
This has made Yahoo news...not a good look for Sunderland.

Isn't this an idiotic own-goal by the Sunderland BID people?
Complete morons, instead of extenuating the negative and promoting the positive they've done the opposite. Their post has been posted on the Sunderland echo and in-turn the chronicle who need little invitation to run a negative story about Sunderland. One isolated incident has given the wrong impression of Sunderland which in-reality is a safe clean city.
The BID team really need some PR sense.....get with the program

Last edited:
It’s not mate, although the image that will haunt this city for years is the Brexit celebrations. We should have delayed announcing until the middle of night

It is for the thickies, "Sunderland...I heard about that place somewhere, oh yes shitting in the street." Disgrace.

It is for the thickies, "Sunderland...I heard about that place somewhere, oh yes shitting in the street." Disgrace.

Honestly mate, despite our proud history, the majority of folk just know the City because of the referendum.

I don’t care how people voted, but it will haunt us for years.

Sunderland has unfairly ended up as the poster boy for brexit, but there's such a sense of the town being left behind and marginalised. The referendum outcome was understandable....

Back