The World at War.....

Such savagery. That village remains the same today. Left as it was when the SS called. It`s on my list of places to visit. I`ve read a book on it and the photographs are truly horrific. What is equally as tragic is after what the French had been through they`d have ensured nothing like that happened again yet when they went into Indo China and Algeria, they adopted the same reprisals on the locals as had been inflicted on them during the war.

if you go on google maps - there is no street view (fuck, that would be more than a little grim) but you can drag and drop the little man onto the 'photo spheres' on site - each of the little circles is a (recent) picture

Just finished watching world war 2 in colour on Netflix.
Still amazing to think all of that happened less than a lifetime ago

Last edited:
Such savagery. That village remains the same today. Left as it was when the SS called. It`s on my list of places to visit. I`ve read a book on it and the photographs are truly horrific. What is equally as tragic is after what the French had been through they`d have ensured nothing like that happened again yet when they went into Indo China and Algeria, they adopted the same reprisals on the locals as had been inflicted on them during the war.

It is the same today, even down to the car in the street. Ledger Travel include a visit on one of their WWII battlefield tours. I`d like to visit one day.

Spain is incredibly high on the list of places I would love to visit. My lass has been three times since we met. The last two times in the space of a few months last year.

But the only place I would forgo a visit to Spain to see is the village of Oradour Sur Glane. But I wouldn't do it as part of a tour. I would go by public transport. I have looked it up. I would stay in Bordeaux and get the train to Limoges and then a bus from town to Oradour Sur Glane. Dead easy.

It is a shame you can't use Street View. But you can see the graves of the villagers who died in the massacre above the town.

Anyone watch Indey Nidell on YouTube with his World War 2 Week by Week show. Last 10-15 minutes each. Pretty interesting.
Cracking series, much more up to date than TWAW, but his voice isn't up to Larry's for gravitas that's for sure!

Have you watched their series Between Two Wars? It really should be a must watch for anyone interested in WW2.

I can recommend a Netflix programme called Hitler: A career. It focuses on the use of symbolism and propaganda and has incredible footage of the top brass in the Nazis.

started this at the beginning of work from home, finished it this morning - been kanny to have on in the background... everyone should watch it at least once in their life, and any moron questing the holocaust needs to watch the genocide episode.

don't suppose anyone can recommend something for the cold war era? kinda want to move on to the 'what happened next bit'... the iron curtain, communist take overs in eastern europe, stasi & berlin wall etc etc etc... just finished reading anne applebaums iron curtain book which i'd highly recommend.
There's a good series on YouTube called The Cold War by the blokes from the Kings and Generals channel.

Spain is incredibly high on the list of places I would love to visit. My lass has been three times since we met. The last two times in the space of a few months last year.

But the only place I would forgo a visit to Spain to see is the village of Oradour Sur Glane. But I wouldn't do it as part of a tour. I would go by public transport. I have looked it up. I would stay in Bordeaux and get the train to Limoges and then a bus from town to Oradour Sur Glane. Dead easy.

It is a shame you can't use Street View. But you can see the graves of the villagers who died in the massacre above the town.
It’s in France

Tremendous series, originally broadcast when I was at school. If I have a favourite episode it would be the El Alamein one, the turning point of the war for some.

Love dipping into these still. Never get bored of them. Every couple of years I'll blitz the series but tend to hoy random episodes on regularly. Always felt it was a shame there was no episode done on Bletchley Park but at the time it was made it was still an official secret
Love the world at war made in 1973 I believe

Back