The Who

Status
Not open for further replies.

The old bill took away all his PCs, laptops, phones etc for forensic investigation. THAT was the only time anything remotely dodgy had been accessed on any of em. No previous searches for owt like that at all. Within seconds of him entering his details he left the site nivver to return. Without viewing any pics.That was what his statement said and the FBI confirmed, it was also backed up by the forensic examination.

Townsend had been discussing the subject with Jerry Hall and a few other unicef charity workers at a do to rally support for putting pressure on legit firms who profit from this shite. He claimed he didn't believe that Visa, American Express and MasterCard allowed their products to take payment for access to this stuff and because The Who have credit card firms as tour sponsors/partners thought it reflected badly on them and him. He fucked that last bit right up and admits it
He did summit slightly wrong while trying to do summit massively right.

Adam Johnson was prosecuted because the computer/phone trail evidence pointed at him being guilty whereas Pete Townsend wasn't because the computer/phone trail pointed at him being innocent. It's that simple.

The problem with this stuff is the sensationalism in which its reported and the publics refusal to accept owt at face value. There's always a rabbit away with some people yet sometimes there simply isn't.
I'm not a massive Who fan either. I just don't like to see fundamentally good people being dragged through the shit more than they need to be.

This is the most sympathetic post I've ever read.

He accessed CP and should have been punished properly and all that comes with it.

It's not normal behaviour at all to do what he did.

The old bill took away all his PCs, laptops, phones etc for forensic investigation. THAT was the only time anything remotely dodgy had been accessed on any of em. No previous searches for owt like that at all. Within seconds of him entering his details he left the site nivver to return. Without viewing any pics.That was what his statement said and the FBI confirmed, it was also backed up by the forensic examination.

Townsend had been discussing the subject with Jerry Hall and a few other unicef charity workers at a do to rally support for putting pressure on legit firms who profit from this shite. He claimed he didn't believe that Visa, American Express and MasterCard allowed their products to take payment for access to this stuff and because The Who have credit card firms as tour sponsors/partners thought it reflected badly on them and him. He fucked that last bit right up and admits it
He did summit slightly wrong while trying to do summit massively right.

Adam Johnson was prosecuted because the computer/phone trail evidence pointed at him being guilty whereas Pete Townsend wasn't because the computer/phone trail pointed at him being innocent. It's that simple.

The problem with this stuff is the sensationalism in which its reported and the publics refusal to accept owt at face value. There's always a rabbit away with some people yet sometimes there simply isn't.
I'm not a massive Who fan either. I just don't like to see fundamentally good people being dragged through the shit more than they need to be.

I'm owa the moon to read that - Townsend was/is a hero of mine and I was gutted when this blew up. TBH it's my fault for not looking further into it.

Riff raff has pretty much summed it up correctly IMO, both in the facts of what PT did and more importantly did NOT do, and his foolishness in accepting a caution. Ha way man, if there was any evidence of noncing he'd have been Gary Glittered all over the news till he wouldn't show his face in public.
But in today's tabloid atmosphere that doesn't satisfy the public's baying for blood, especially in cases of noncery. It's beyond the imagination of some people to believe that in all the stories of kiddy fiddling we're exposed to these days, in SOME situations it's a ... errr ... bum rap.

This is the most sympathetic post I've ever read.

He accessed CP and should have been punished properly and all that comes with it.

It's not normal behaviour at all to do what he did.
He didn't though.
The FBI monitored his accessing of a site and he signed up with his credit card then left without looking at owt. The FBI confirmed his story as did the forensic examination of his PCs.
He was a fuckin idiot for doing it there's no doubt about it. It's not normal behaviour at all but these celeb types like to have a cause and this ones bitten him on the arse.

I would say, Beatles aside they're the greatest British group of all time.

Not a patch on The Stones like.

Think he did eventually aye. He was f***ing paying for CP for "research purposes" - can't believe that bullshit excuse worked tbh.

Not like you to go extreme ;) It seems all evidence points to it being the truth and not bullshit.

Riff raff has pretty much summed it up correctly IMO, both in the facts of what PT did and more importantly did NOT do, and his foolishness in accepting a caution. Ha way man, if there was any evidence of noncing he'd have been Gary Glittered all over the news till he wouldn't show his face in public.
But in today's tabloid atmosphere that doesn't satisfy the public's baying for blood, especially in cases of noncery. It's beyond the imagination of some people to believe that in all the stories of kiddy fiddling we're exposed to these days, in SOME situations it's a ... errr ... bum rap.

Can see why he accepted the caution too mind, and all it is in acceptance of wrong doing, and whilst the intentions were good he still technically did wrong.

Let's be honest, anyone with a brain cell knows if youre actually caught noncing you won't be let off with just a caution.

Last edited:
He didn't though.
The FBI monitored his accessing of a site and he signed up with his credit card then left without looking at owt. The FBI confirmed his story as did the forensic examination of his PCs.
He was a fuckin idiot for doing it there's no doubt about it. It's not normal behaviour at all but these celeb types like to have a cause and this ones bitten him on the arse.

He admitted he acted with good intention but was naive to go about it the way he did. As you rightly say, forensic evidence proved he hadn't visited CP sites. The other thing that strikes me is that nobody has ever come forward & said Townshend had sexually abused them whilst underage. Surely if he had, especially in this post-Saville / Yewtree climate, that would likely have happened.

I remember the Odeon Gig quite well in 71 but how many times did they play the Bay Hotel? I mean the Bay was fanastic but was it twice or more the Who played there?[/QUOTE
According to this it was only once in July 1969.

http://www.thewholive.net/index.php

I first saw them first at the City Hall in December 1969 on the Tommy tour; then at the Mayfair in 1970 on the Live at Leeds tour; then the Odeon in 1971 on the Who's Next tour and then three times at the Odeon in 1973 on the Quadrophenia tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back