The Wesley nightclub, Hartlepool.

It’s a shame looking back how good it was in comparison to now. Once the 4am opening times came in it killed it. The wine bars like Yates etc could stay open longer and the nightclubs closed.

Marina is still nice though especially in the summer
You are the sort who would start a fire. Where were you last night ?

Went to college in Hartlepool and the nights out were fantastic - mostly because I was 17, single and with my best mates rather than it being a standout place, but there are some really great people who live in the town and I'll always have soft spot for it. Mind I'm a Yakker like so my standards are low!

I think I must be the only person from Peterlee who never went - we used to go to Sunderland, never Pools for our nights out.

I've only ever had one drink at that end of Hartlepool. Marina a few times though.

Marinas still canny. Church street n town shite. Had a meal n went out in church st n bouncers said its busy from midnight, fuck that.

Trivia: who opened the towns first wine bar?

They’d be spot on. My step dad owned the lighthouse on church street and he said people came in from about 1am already hammered and drank water and dances til they sobered up. Said it was the most pointless business he’s been involved with.

Believe it or not, Hartlepool was a very decent night out once upon a time. Always very busy and chocker with lasses. Had to have your wits about you though around 11ish time as you'd have the local skip rats out looking for pissed up "yackers" (as T-Bone puts it). T-Bone was probably one of 'em - nowt better to do on a Friday night than run around in a pack of idiots picking off random, pissed-up lads.

Shame really as the majority of people from Hartlepool were absolutely fine - suppose that goes for any place - always a small minority of arseholes.
Whereas all the yackers used to behave like perfect gentlemen and never cause any trouble, ever.

Was it a listed building? When i read there'd been a fire I assumed it was another, not at all suspicious, example of an unused listed building burning down.

Was it a listed building? When i read there'd been a fire I assumed it was another, not at all suspicious, example of an unused listed building burning down.

Yes it was a listed building and hasn't had anything going on in it for years. Someone has started the fire but god knows who

Whereas all the yackers used to behave like perfect gentlemen and never cause any trouble, ever.

Yeah, of course. I've seen it both ways actually but not many times.

I remember one of my mates, who wasn't a trouble maker, getting a good hiding by a small mob of local lads when he was bladdered right up to the eye-balls to the point where he couldn't stand.

And, I remember a couple of lads I used to drink with from the pit villages, although I would call them more acquaintances than mates, knocking out a couple of local lads. One was a case of stupid bullying where the lad on the receiving end was just a lad having a night out not looking for any bother, and the other started after arm wrestling in a pub and that was six and two threes as far as I can remember.

I don't remember seeing much else, except you'd step out of 42nd street every couple of months and someone was lying sparked out but you hadn't seen it because you were in the club.

Yeah, of course. I've seen it both ways actually but not many times.

I remember one of my mates, who wasn't a trouble maker, getting a good hiding by a small mob of local lads when he was bladdered right up to the eye-balls to the point where he couldn't stand.

And, I remember a couple of lads I used to drink with from the pit villages, although I would call them more acquaintances than mates, knocking out a couple of local lads. One was a case of stupid bullying where the lad on the receiving end was just a lad having a night out not looking for any bother, and the other started after arm wrestling in a pub and that was six and two threes as far as I can remember.

I don't remember seeing much else, except you'd step out of 42nd street every couple of months and someone was lying sparked out but you hadn't seen it because you were in the club.
The Sunday night before a bank holiday Monday. They used to be very interesting!!

It's owned by a Stockton company who have planning permission to turn it into a hotel.

What was that place called at the old Red Lion at Dalton Piercey always packed early 80's.
leos,
had a many a good night down pools
churchills,paradise alley for the ten o clock rock which was broadcast live on tfm,the gemeni nite clurb, 42nd street

Last edited:

Back