The Wesley nightclub, Hartlepool.

Hartlepool has a nightclub?!

Believe it or not, Hartlepool was a very decent night out once upon a time. Always very busy and chocker with lasses. Had to have your wits about you though around 11ish time as you'd have the local skip rats out looking for pissed up "yackers" (as T-Bone puts it). T-Bone was probably one of 'em - nowt better to do on a Friday night than run around in a pack of idiots picking off random, pissed-up lads.

Shame really as the majority of people from Hartlepool were absolutely fine - suppose that goes for any place - always a small minority of arseholes.

Believe it or not, Hartlepool was a very decent night out once upon a time. Always very busy and chocker with lasses. Had to have your wits about you though around 11ish time as you'd have the local skip rats out looking for pissed up "yackers" (as T-Bone puts it). T-Bone was probably one of 'em - nowt better to do on a Friday night than run around in a pack of idiots picking off random, pissed-up lads.

Shame really as the majority of people from Hartlepool were absolutely fine - suppose that goes for any place - always a small minority of arseholes.
You fool. Some of my best mates are Yackers. My brother in law was a respected name in the collieries. I do not and never have done nightclubs and I have absolutely nothing against Yackers. You are well wide of the mark, in fact I am sat in my living room right now with some of my wife's family, two of them from Horden.

You fool. Some of my best mates are Yackers. My brother in law was a respected name in the collieries. I do not and never have done nightclubs and I have absolutely nothing against Yackers. You are well wide of the mark, in fact I am sat in my living room right now with some of my wife's family, two of them from Horden.

Fair enough, mate. Enjoy the night with your family.

The Gemini was the best nightspot in Town for years, was also a nightclub on the front at Seaton.

The Gemini was the best nightspot in Town for years, was also a nightclub on the front at Seaton.

I'm talking around 1991/1993 time, and the Gemini then was known as a place for an easy pick up.

42nd street was easily the best club around that time. Always rammed and with much better looking lasses than the Gemini.

I was down Hartlepool a few year back and absolutely dead around 10 o'clock. How times change, because back then it was rammed.

Can just about remember 42nd Street, even going back into the 80’s the Gemini was always a great cattle market, had an offshoot called Twins, IIRC

Shame to hear the towns died,Friday and Saturdays were rammed back then.

Marinas still canny. Church street n town shite. Had a meal n went out in church st n bouncers said its busy from midnight, fuck that.

Trivia: who opened the towns first wine bar?

Asters at Seaton. Bloody bouncers were Yackers !

I ended up in the Carlton Club one night, the bouncers picked me up and horizontal used my head to open the doors.
Bassas.

Can just about remember 42nd Street, even going back into the 80’s the Gemini was always a great cattle market, had an offshoot called Twins, IIRC

Shame to hear the towns died,Friday and Saturdays were rammed back then.

They were, mate. For a small town it was a very good night out, and as much as I said above about the odd skip rat I actually saw very little bother in Hartlepool. 99.9% of the time you could just go about your business on a night out with no hassle. If you were going out just for a bit crack on and to meet a lass at some point then it was pretty decent.

They were, mate. For a small town it was a very good night out, and as much as I said above about the odd skip rat I actually saw very little bother in Hartlepool. 99.9% of the time you could just go about your business on a night out with no hassle. If you were going out just for a bit crack on and to meet a lass at some point then it was pretty decent.
Coming from the town knew that it attracted lads and lasses from round about but never bothered us, just added to the numbers, plan A was always a laugh with mates on Friday night and couples night out on Saturday. You’re right for a small town, a good night out.

Coming from the town knew that it attracted lads and lasses from round about but never bothered us, just added to the numbers, plan A was always a laugh with mates on Friday night and couples night out on Saturday. You’re right for a small town, a good night out.

Should say, mate, I'm not some hick who has never been anywhere. Lived in Manchester for a decent stretch, been to a lot of places around the world - but Hartlepool for a night out was as a good as you could expect from a small town - back around 1991-3. Always busy, always plenty of lasses.

It’s a shame looking back how good it was in comparison to now. Once the 4am opening times came in it killed it. The wine bars like Yates etc could stay open longer and the nightclubs closed.

Marina is still nice though especially in the summer

Back