The Waterboys

Saw them on Fisherman's Blues tour and seem to remember the band were swapping instruments on nearly every song.
Great gig with Hothouse Flowers supporting iirc.
Yeah I saw them in maybe 1988 at Leeds university. First tour in ages so it was a bit of a ‘comeback’ but a great live show.
Nope but Whole of The Moon was a great tune and often played in the clubs/raves when coming to end of night
Always played in Ku at some point during the night at a certain era (1985-1990 ish)

Lyrical geniuses them lads. Nothing will beat this song.

I pictured a trophy
Mick held in his hands
I had flashes
But he saw then plan
I wondered out on the pitch for hours
While you stayed in the dressing room
I saw the goal
You saw the whole of the game
The whole of the game

You were there at the turnstiles
With Mick at your side
You stretched for the fans
And you know how it feels
To reach too high
Too far
Too soon
You saw the whole of the game!

I was defeated
While you filled the stands
I was dumbfounded by truths
Your team are crap
I saw the rain-logged pitch
You saw the bowl
I saw the Goal

I spoke about wins
You just knew
I wondered, I guessed, and I tried
You just knew
I sighed
But you just thought
I saw the goal
You saw the whole of the game
The whole of the game!

With a card in his pocket
and the goal in his aim
Arca climbed on the ladder
and he knows how it feels
To reach too high
Too far
Too soon
The whole of the game!

Defenders and strikers
the fans and the tewards,
Trumpets, airhorns, and more
Wide right, full of tears,
Flag, hugs and group cheers
Scimitars and scarves,
Every precious dream and vision
Underneath the stars

Arca climbed on the ladder
With the wind his sails
He shot like a comet
Blazing a trail
Too high
Too far
Too soon

Used to be one of my favourite bands seen them loads of times, best being the fisherman’s blues tour, that was their peak I think.

Their last few albums just can’t get away with.

Great live band for sure.

I'd love to see them like, but £77 at the sage ? Fuckin hell man

They must have been the top of the range ones marra.

From the Sage website.

Tickets – £39.60 to £43.50
Few bands have as great a live reputation as The Waterboys. From their mid-1980s “big music” period through the influential mix of Celtic, gospel and country on their classic Fisherman’s Blues tours, to the hundreds of brilliant shows accompanying the last decade’s run of supremely in-form albums from 2011’s An Appointment With Mr Yeats to this summer’s Good Luck, Seeker The Waterboys have consistently blended tightness, inspiration and improvisation to reach heights of performance few other acts can. Led by mercurial and brilliant Scottish guitarist/vocalist Mike Scott, the 2020 version of the band features the established line-up of Memphis keyboard great “Brother” Paul Brown, Irish electric fiddler Steve Wickham, ace British drummer Ralph Salmins and funky Irish bassman Aongus Ralston.

They must have been the top of the range ones marra.

From the Sage website.

Tickets – £39.60 to £43.50
Few bands have as great a live reputation as The Waterboys. From their mid-1980s “big music” period through the influential mix of Celtic, gospel and country on their classic Fisherman’s Blues tours, to the hundreds of brilliant shows accompanying the last decade’s run of supremely in-form albums from 2011’s An Appointment With Mr Yeats to this summer’s Good Luck, Seeker The Waterboys have consistently blended tightness, inspiration and improvisation to reach heights of performance few other acts can. Led by mercurial and brilliant Scottish guitarist/vocalist Mike Scott, the 2020 version of the band features the established line-up of Memphis keyboard great “Brother” Paul Brown, Irish electric fiddler Steve Wickham, ace British drummer Ralph Salmins and funky Irish bassman Aongus Ralston.
Might have a look for £40 like

Absolutely, some great stuff. Whole of the Moon though I like it annoys me a bit in a way as it's not representative of their stuff overall but it's obviously what they're known for. Saw them in the Gardens in Edinburgh, just as they started to sing that track, the clouds cleared and a full moon came on view over the Castle!

Back