The Watch - Discworld Series

Keawyeds

Striker
For any of you who have ever read the works of Sir Terry Pratchett, you'll know that The Watch is a massive element of what makes up Discworld.
Sky have done a couple of his books as live action TV films and of course there's the Cosgrove Hall animations, but this is a full series for The Watch.

They're not starting filming until the end of the month but I'm very much looking forward to this!

For Game of Thrones fans, Ser Beric Dondarrion is playing Sam Vimes!

If nothing else I might as well have just sent a message to @Some Random Guy :lol:

I think it was this mob that presided over the recent very good adaptation of Good Omens so fingers crossed for this.

The Sky productions were a let down frankly because they did their usual plodding job - at least it wasn’t ITV... Sir Terry set up his own production company I think to try and do a better job in future.

For those of you who like this sort of thing they’re also doing a TV series of His Dark Materials which is exciting stuff

I think it was this mob that presided over the recent very good adaptation of Good Omens so fingers crossed for this.

The Sky productions were a let down frankly because they did their usual plodding job - at least it wasn’t ITV... Sir Terry set up his own production company I think to try and do a better job in future.

For those of you who like this sort of thing they’re also doing a TV series of His Dark Materials which is exciting stuff

I thought The Hogfather was a canny adaptation.

I thought The Hogfather was a canny adaptation.

Going Postal was the best of the bunch IMHO

I think he'll be decent actually.

Not sure about Carrot.

Sybil is supposed to be a frumpy middle aged woman ffs.

Carcer, guess they're doing Night Watch.

My mate tweeted that from what he could tell it's more of an "inspired by the books" rather than a straight re-telling.
Fair enough, although I can see why there's a lot of raised eyebrows at Sybil

It is just totally out of keeping with the very nature of Discworld and I couldn't have been more surprised if they had cast Brian Blessed as Tiffany Aching!

Well obvs, a city called Ankh-Morporkh is bound to contain nothing but white people and it would stick out like a sore thumb among the trolls, goblins, dwarves, vampires, werewolves and Golems if there was a black face spotted anywhere about the place

Well obvs, a city called Ankh-Morporkh is bound to contain nothing but white people and it would stick out like a sore thumb among the trolls, goblins, dwarves, vampires, werewolves and Golems if there was a black face spotted anywhere about the place
It has nothing to do with race per se, just that the official Discworld website defines Lady Sybil as a white person. As you point out, Ankh-Morpork (note spelling) is depicted as a very multiracial city and Terry Pratchett would have had no problem depicting Lady Sybil as a coloured woman - but he didn't.

More importantly, Lady Sybil's grandfather led an expedition to Howandaland on the continent of Klatch. This is meant to be analogous to a white, 19th century European expedition to Africa. By changing the ethnicity of Lady Sybil the production company are changing the nature of what is essentially a white family of the minor nobility in Victorian era, with all their jingoistic outlook plus personal foibles and eccentricities.

Alright, I'm a purist and don't like change for changes sake. Even less do I like what I strongly suspect is tampering with Discworld just for the sake of tax breaks from a South African government.
Would love to see the Nac Mac Feegle brought to life...
Crivens, yer a scunner!

Last edited by a moderator:
It has nothing to do with race per se, just that the official Discworld website defines Lady Sybil as a white person. As you point out, Ankh-Morpork (note spelling) is depicted as a very multiracial city and Terry Pratchett would have had no problem depicting Lady Sybil as a coloured woman - but he didn't.

More importantly, Lady Sybil's grandfather led an expedition to Howandaland on the continent of Klatch. This is meant to be analogous to a white, 19th century European expedition to Africa. By changing the ethnicity of Lady Sybil the production company are changing the nature of what is essentially a white family of the minor nobility in Victorian era, with all their jingoistic outlook plus personal foibles and eccentricities.

Alright, I'm a purist and don't like change for changes sake. Even less do I like what I strongly suspect is tampering with Discworld just for the sake of tax breaks from a South African government.

Crivens, yer a scunner!

Er, "coloured"?

Any number of civilisations have mounted foreign expeditions to colonial territory. The Persians, Ottomans and Moors, for example. And who gives a fuck what the website says? It's a fan Wikia with official permission to use the logos

Back