The Waffen SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

I believe holland had the largest contingent of men fighting under the SS banner.

They were known as Zwarte Soldaten (Soldiers in Black) and unlike the SS who had started wearing grey/greenish uniforms by then, the Dutch SS volunteers were given black uniforms and there were about 25,000 but considering the SS totalled about 800 - 900,000 I suggest you have been given incorrect info?

Don't get me wrong though, as the Dutch as a nation have generally been cowards for over a hundred years now (in WWII there were more volunteers for the SS than they had in their resistance movement!) yet everyone here knows someone who fought in the resistance but nobody seems to know any ex-SS'ers :roll:
In a bizarre kind of way this always reminds me about the hundreds of thousands of people who all claim they were at The Stone Roses Spike Island gig yet the majority are just billy bullshitters ;)

60,000 i believe. Largest 'volunteer/foreign' contingent.

25000, so nowhere near the largest foreign contingent

as ive said, the SS had to open a new traing camp because of so many dutch volunteers

considering all the other shite you've posted, and keep posting, on this thread I would like to know which Wiki page you got this from? :roll:

That isnt true, many were conscripted.

The SS, or members of the SS, were volunteers.

Leading up to and during the war the German Army (Wehrmacht) had conscription, but the SS did not.
As the war progressed they changed their recruitment policy, but initially their entire policy was based on recruitment and selection procedures which went totally against conscription (where any old bod would do)

Spenny said:
A Polish mate told me his Grandparents preferred the rule of the SS to the Russians who allegedly saved them.

A old fella in the pub was a Ukrainian who had to fight for the Germans and was then forced to fight for the Russians. He preferred the Germans.

They were known as Zwarte Soldaten (Soldiers in Black) and unlike the SS who had started wearing grey/greenish uniforms by then, the Dutch SS volunteers were given black uniforms and there were about 25,000 but considering the SS totalled about 800 - 900,000 I suggest you have been given incorrect info?

Don't get me wrong though, as the Dutch as a nation have generally been cowards for over a hundred years now (in WWII there were more volunteers for the SS than they had in their resistance movement!) yet everyone here knows someone who fought in the resistance but nobody seems to know any ex-SS'ers :roll:
In a bizarre kind of way this always reminds me about the hundreds of thousands of people who all claim they were at The Stone Roses Spike Island gig yet the majority are just billy bullshitters ;)

25000, so nowhere near the largest foreign contingent

considering all the other shite you've posted, and keep posting, on this thread I would like to know which Wiki page you got this from? :roll:

The SS, or members of the SS, were volunteers.

Leading up to and during the war the German Army (Wehrmacht) had conscription, but the SS did not.
As the war progressed they changed their recruitment policy, but initially their entire policy was based on recruitment and selection procedures which went totally against conscription (where any old bod would do)
youve been well and truely battered but are too far up your own arse to even feel it

1940 expansion

Himmler had gained approval for the Waffen-SS to form its own high command, the Kommandoamt der Waffen-SS within the SS-Führungshauptamt, which was created in August 1940. It received command of the SS-VT (the Leibstandarte and the Verfügungs-Division, renamed Reich) and the armed SS-TV regiments (the Totenkopf-Division together with several independent Totenkopf-Standarten).

In August 1940, Gottlob Berger approached Himmler with a plan to recruit volunteers in the conquered territories from the ethnic German and Germanic populations. Hitler at first had his doubts about recruiting foreigners but was persuaded by Himmler and Berger. He gave approval for a new division to be formed from foreign nationals with German officers, and by June 1941 Danish and Norwegian volunteers had formed the SS Regiment Nordland, with Dutch and Flemish volunteers forming the SS Regiment Westland, the two regiments together with Germania (transferred from the Reich Division) forming the SS Division 'Wiking.[32] Volunteers came forward in such numbers that the SS was forced to open a new training camp just for foreign volunteers at Sennheim in Alsace-Lorraine.[32]

i know they werent but the men who were in the einsatzgruppen came from the waffen ss

thats not entirely true either

originally the einsatzgruppen came from the police, or gestapo, or political police units. The German term was the Sicherheitspolizei (security police). In fact there was no SS involvement at all prior to Poland (so actions in Austria or with the Czech's)
Then in September '39 the Germans merged the Sicherheitspolizei, Gestapo, and other police units and Himmler formed what became the RHSA (of which a quarter was made up from SS elements)

I think a lot of people make a mistake here because Himmler was also behind the SS, but these (the SS and the RHSA) are in fact two different departments or organisations, just like the Gestapo was before the war.

thats not entirely true either

originally the einsatzgruppen came from the police, or gestapo, or political police units. The German term was the Sicherheitspolizei (security police). In fact there was no SS involvement at all prior to Poland (so actions in Austria or with the Czech's)
Then in September '39 the Germans merged the Sicherheitspolizei, Gestapo, and other police units and Himmler formed what became the RHSA (of which a quarter was made up from SS elements)

I think a lot of people make a mistake here because Himmler was also behind the SS, but these (the SS and the RHSA) are in fact two different departments or organisations, just like the Gestapo was before the war.
how much murdering and killing of civilians in eastern prussia and the soviet union did the einsatzgruppen do in 1938?

youve been well and truely battered but are too far up your own arse to even feel it.....

what you on about now?

And where in your recent post can you back up all the shite you have posted about the Dutch on this thread?

You seem to have major issues in accepting what anybody else has to say on a subject? - That would be fine if you brought genuine info along, but your way is to shout "fact" and then assume people have to accept it because you said it?

How's this for a fact: This thread would have been much more informative if you hadn't given your thoughts or opinions.

what you on about now?

And where in your recent post can you back up all the shite you have posted about the Dutch on this thread?

You seem to have major issues in accepting what anybody else has to say on a subject? - That would be fine if you brought genuine info along, but your way is to shout "fact" and then assume people have to accept it because you said it?

How's this for a fact: This thread would have been much more informative if you hadn't given your thoughts or opinions.

you may have fared better if your opening post on here wasnt to dismiss everyone elses input

and then go about flattering to deceive the untrained eye with polysyllabic posts thats are littered with inaccuracies

idiot

In August 1940, Gottlob Berger approached Himmler with a plan to recruit volunteers in the conquered territories from the ethnic German and Germanic populations. Hitler at first had his doubts about recruiting foreigners but was persuaded by Himmler and Berger. He gave approval for a new division to be formed from foreign nationals with German officers, and by June 1941 Danish and Norwegian volunteers had formed the SS Regiment Nordland, with Dutch and Flemish volunteers forming the SS Regiment Westland, the two regiments together with Germania (transferred from the Reich Division) forming the SS Division 'Wiking.[32] Volunteers came forward in such numbers that the SS was forced to open a new training camp just for foreign volunteers at Sennheim in Alsace-Lorraine.[32]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya right it was between 25-30,000 maybe confusing the Ukrainians??

They were the largest number of Western European volunteers.

They were probably the largest number from west Europe because they were closest to the "Germanic race"?

On saying that, the SS were also hypocrites, because they also set up divisions in eastern europe, and even had one in former Yugoslavia which included a majority made up with muslims!
But for some reason the Waffen SS "Handschar“ division didn't get as many volunteers as they would have liked :-D

you may have fared better if your opening post on here wasnt to dismiss everyone elses input

and then go about flattering to deceive the untrained eye with polysyllabic posts thats are littered with inaccuracies

idiot

idiot?

last time I checked Sennheim in Alsace-Lorraine was never Dutch, but you carry on spouting your crap about them setting up new training areas for the Dutch .... in Sennheim in Alsace-Lorraine :roll:

They were probably the largest number from west Europe because they were closest to the "Germanic race"?

On saying that, the SS were also hypocrites, because they also set up divisions in eastern europe, and even had one in former Yugoslavia which included a majority made up with muslims!
But for some reason the Waffen SS "Handschar“ division didn't get as many volunteers as they would have liked

Yeah the Grand Mufti was involved in recruiting them from Bosnian Muslims, Bosniks, but they actually mutinied against their German Officers and the unit was split up i believe.

But for some reason the Waffen SS "Handschar“ division didn't get as many volunteers as they would have liked

idiot?

last time I checked Sennheim in Alsace-Lorraine was never Dutch, but you carry on spouting your crap about them setting up new training areas for the Dutch .... in Sennheim in Alsace-Lorraine :roll:

jesus f***ing wept :lol::lol::lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXZAIGwJAX8

Last edited by a moderator:
you may have fared better if your opening post on here wasnt to dismiss everyone elses input.....

from what I remember it was actually just YOUR input.

....and then go about flattering to deceive the untrained eye with polysyllabic posts thats are littered with inaccuracies .....

now you sound like you are talking about yourself? but a good try :lol:

as for your other quote about the Dutch, suggesting these were the volunteers who went to Sennheim in Alsace-Lorraine? ....

.....Volunteers came forward in such numbers that the SS was forced to open a new training camp just for foreign volunteers at Sennheim in Alsace-Lorraine

sorry to have to tell you that you are wrong again.

The Dutch SS (Zwarte Soldaten) were actually set up in September 1940, about 4 months after the Dutch were invaded by the German Wehrmacht. Their training camp was set up in a place inbetween Arnhem and Nijmegen (not far from the German border) in the spring of 1941.
The majority of their volunteers came from the non-catholic Dutch towns and cities.
Then in November 1942 they were re-named the Germanic SS (along with SS volunteer units from Belgium, Scandanavia, generally the western European area or region)
The majority were sent to the eastern front. The majority never returned.

Sadly you wouldn't know that because majority of what I've just told you is not on an english wiki page.

but like I said before, it was a good try :-D

Last edited:
from what I remember it was actually just YOUR input.

now you sound like you are talking about yourself? but a good try :lol:

as for your other quote about the Dutch, suggesting these were the volunteers who went to Sennheim in Alsace-Lorraine? ....

sorry to have to tell you that you are wrong again.

The Dutch SS (Zwarte Soldaten) were actually set up in September 1940, about 4 months after the Dutch were invaded by the German Wehrmacht. Their training camp was set up in a place inbetween Arnhem and Nijmegen (not far from the German border) in the spring of 1941.
The majority of their volunteers came from the non-catholic Dutch towns and cities.
Then in November 1942 they were re-named the Germanic SS (along with SS volunteer units from Belgium, Scandanavia, generally the western European area or region)
The majority were sent to the eastern front. The majority never returned.

Sadly you wouldn't know that because majority of what I've just told you is not on an english wiki page.

but like I said before, it was a good try :-D
epic fail:lol::lol:

post 133 , almost all wrong from our long winded expert

epic fail:lol::lol:

oh, and I'm sure I won't be the only one that notices that whenever you can't back up the crap you spout you come out with insults, or daft posts (I presume to try and deflect attention away from your mistakes?)

not that I'm going to translate it for you, but the next time you feel the need to come out with untruths or shite about the Dutch, or their SS, try staying away from the limited info on english language websites

Here's a book from the 70's...

De SS en Nederland, documenten uit SS-archieven 1935-1945, ingeleid en uitgegeven door N.K.C.A. in 't Veld. Staatsuitgeverij, 's-Gravenhage, 1976

I'll start you off, 's-Gravenhage is the location of the publisher ... The Hague

henry poole of saville row did military uniforms in the 19th century, but the SS uniforms were designed by Hugo Boss

i thought it was the other way around?

you had some who had a higher rank within the SS than they did within the German army.
As the war progressed the SS grew in numbers due to foreign input, but a lot of Germans also made sidewards type moves to take up senior positions within the SS

The SS was originally from way before the outbreak of WWII when they were more political police than soldiers ... they had to be card carriers, and they did their own cull in the late 30's to get rid of people within the SS they considered "not pure", and then once the war started they set op foreign SS units (Lithuania, The Netherlands, etc) made up with volunteers from occupied countries.

The Waffen SS were more associated with being frontline military units, but as the war progressed all the SS units became one and people transferred within the SS from frontline, to admin function, to camp guard, to transport units.

The SS even had its own highly lucrative Economic and Administrative Department (SS-Wirtschafts-Verwaltungshauptamt) who had a wide range of tasks leading up to and during the war, from guard duties at the concentration camps to selling all the gold they gathered at same camps, overseeing the slave labour at work camps or manufacturing plants, to driving crates of fanta (aka nazi cola!) or nestle chocolate to the troops! It was during the war that Nestle made its initial fortune by getting the contract from the SS to supply all chocolate to the Axis troops. They registered the company in Switzerland to safeguard their future.
The SS also had a say in how Kodak (the camera company) developed using "cheap" labour, and they also made a fortune when they developed Fanta at the German Coca Cola factories (which was later taken over by Coca Cola again once the war ended) - They now say that the German boss of Coca Cola, Max Keith, never joined the nazi party, but there is a lot of doubt about this as in that period you couldn't run a company if you weren't a member.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

oh, and I'm sure I won't be the only one that notices that whenever you can't back up the crap you spout you come out with insults, or daft posts (I presume to try and deflect attention away from your mistakes?)

not that I'm going to translate it for you, but the next time you feel the need to come out with untruths or shite about the Dutch, or their SS, try staying away from the limited info on english language websites

Here's a book from the 70's...

De SS en Nederland, documenten uit SS-archieven 1935-1945, ingeleid en uitgegeven door N.K.C.A. in 't Veld. Staatsuitgeverij, 's-Gravenhage, 1976

I'll start you off, 's-Gravenhage is the location of the publisher ... The Hague

i just quoted wikipedia, you accused me of making it up, when i posted the hp you went ape:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back