The value of a good youth system

Status
Not open for further replies.
all of this is obvious, but I'll type it anyway

As transfer prices go up the value of a good youth system grows and grows as the cost of running an academy are roughly constant (vs transfer inflation which is a bit mental)

1) we don't have to pay ridiculous transfer fees
2) anyone we do develop we can sell for good money

We need to focus on the academy and making it work, as this is the long term solution for a club like us which has fuck lots of debt. We won't succeed by spending and spending and spending as we can't compete financially, and we have proven we are crap at selecting players (albeit we could get better at this)

Henderson and Pickford are two excellent examples, will make £40m or so for "zero" outlay.

Whilst the u23s got a bit of a battering in the final, it's at least positive that we have something coming through.

Speculate to accumulate in this area....

As transfer prices go up the value of a good youth system grows and grows as the cost of running an academy are roughly constant (vs transfer inflation which is a bit mental)

We need to focus on the academy and making it work, as this is the long term solution for a club like us which has fuck lots of debt. We won't succeed by spending and spending and spending as we can't compete financially, and we have proven we are crap at selecting players (albeit we could get better at this)

Henderson and Pickford are two excellent examples, will make £40m or so for "zero" outlay.

Whilst the u23s got a bit of a battering in the final, it's at least positive that we have something coming through.

If you look at the money spent running an academy compared to what clubs get in return I'd say most are not anywhere near making a profit in the long term.
The old system of playing in the youth team then progressing to playing with and against experienced pro's in the reserves was a better grounding for the jump
to the first team.Not that many years ago we always had two or three home grown local lads plus a few plucked from lesser teams instead of all these loanees and flops
not good enough at the bigger clubs strolling through games not giving a toss if they lose.

If you look at the money spent running an academy compared to what clubs get in return I'd say most are not anywhere near making a profit in the long term.
The old system of playing in the youth team then progressing to playing with and against experienced pro's in the reserves was a better grounding for the jump
to the first team.Not that many years ago we always had two or three home grown local lads plus a few plucked from lesser teams instead of all these loanees and flops
not good enough at the bigger clubs strolling through games not giving a toss if they lose.
This all day. Northern Intermediate League and then in with the older lads in the reserves. I appreciate that will make me sound like a dinosaur, but I saw better players watching the reserves at Roker than the U23 (U21 previously) at The SOL.

i watched the likes of Rowell, Arnott, Elliott, Brown, Gilbert, Coady, Stronach, etc. Coming through at Washington as bairns.

A good academy will get the best out of the young players but at the end of the day if you don't get the talent in no amount of coaching can produce another Henderson or Pickford.

If we sell Pickford and Henderson for £40m are you saying that the academy has cost more than that in the last decade?

Plus the "value" we got from the likes of Colback

Too long to read, you shouldn't have typed it mate.

If we sell Pickford and Henderson for £40m are you saying that the academy has cost more than that in the last decade?

Plus the "value" we got from the likes of Colback
I have no idea whatsoever how much the academy costs to run, but would suggest that the sum of £40M would probably cover it for ten years.
However if we're accepting this sum as justification for the academy then we're wrong to do so, how about if we hadn't seen Pickford and Henderson turn into the players they did, two out of countless hundreds since it's opening is a pathetic return.

I have no idea whatsoever how much the academy costs to run, but would suggest that the sum of £40M would probably cover it for ten years.
However if we're accepting this sum as justification for the academy then we're wrong to do so, how about if we hadn't seen Pickford and Henderson turn into the players they did, two out of countless hundreds since it's opening is a pathetic return.
There's more than 2 though.

We got good service out of Henderson especially, we would probably have paid a few million for him.

Plus there are others who have made money

I'm not saying it's been a brilliant model for us at all. I'm saying it becomes ever more important as the transfer market goes out of control as a) it costs us less to buy b) we make more when we sell

Whereas the AOL costs will be relatively fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back