The UK net zero carbon emissions thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5265

Yes, catchy title, but this issue is thought by many to be the biggest facing us - as a country, as a planet.

The UK has committed to have net zero carbon emissions by 2050. Many say that this is too late, and question whether the government is on course to achieve it. To do so will take substantial changes to the way we live, eat, travel and shop.

Is anyone yet making any changes in their lifestyles because of climate change? How widely is the problem understood and grasped by the UK population?

Interesting article here:
Big lifestyle changes 'needed to cut emissions'

No no, we don't care about the environment any more because people made too much of a fuss of that Swedish girl
Always the main focus of your posts.
What have you done?
Yes, catchy title, but this issue is thought by many to be the biggest facing us - as a country, as a planet.

The UK has committed to have net zero carbon emissions by 2050. Many say that this is too late, and question whether the government is on course to achieve it. To do so will take substantial changes to the way we live, eat, travel and shop.

Is anyone yet making any changes in their lifestyles because of climate change? How widely is the problem understood and grasped by the UK population?

I'm very cynical about the chances of any change that are initiated by individuals. I like to keep my life as simple as possible so I don't think my footprint is too large but in comparison with most round the world it will be huge.
We did go down to one car and I cycle, walk bus metro wherever I can. I have an appointment on bede industrial estate today. That is a pleasant metro ride with a book.

Last edited:
Definitely.

Though like the business of government, our plans have been derailed somewhat by Brexit.
Surely brexit will be a massive boon. Consumption of goods will plummet.

Do people believe we can continue our easy convenient lives and become carbon neutral? I personally don't.
Apparently supermarket open fridges consume 1% of the country's electricity. I found the stat incredible.

We bought our last car based on its emissions, and seriously looked at an electric car. Our next car will be electric and we will be looking at getting a charging point and solar panels installed when we move house (hopefully soon).

We’re also looking at ways we can reduce our food waste, as I was told recently it’s the biggest impact an individual can have on carbon emissions.

I think it will need legislation and huge incentives but essentially capitalism isn't exactly a comfortable bedfellow with the need for us to consume less.

Things that could be done (reasonably) quickly?

Cancel HS2 and spend that money on local light rail schemes like the Metro.

Give tax kickbacks to people who give up the right to own a car.

Make City centres traffic free.

Stop the horsepower srms race currently going on in the car industry. Audi have just announced a 600hp estate car.....really, is there any need or justification.

Tax single use plastic to the hilt and place deposits on bottles, large enough to make it worthwhile for someone to return them for recycling.

Introduce a UBI as soon as is practicable to cut down on the level of economic activity.

Ban the sale of cheap useless tat that serves no real useful purpose.

Genetically modify cow's gut microbiome so that it produces much less Methane.

Eating less meat and moving to a more veggie diet. Using the car less and public transport more. Walking where possible. Buying as much locally produced food as possible. Consciously cutting down on buying things I don’t really need. Having a smart meter fitted has made me more conscious of my energy usage and I have cut back quite a lot. If everyone does a bit it will make a difference but whether it will be enough is debatable. To reach those government targets will require some difficult decisions and real changes in lifestyles for the whole country which won’t all be popular. Still we get used to things quite quickly and some of the changes needed will move us towards a healthier diet and way of life which may encourage us to make them. I’m hopeful we can do it. Being less wasteful makes sense even for those who don’t believe in climate change.

We bought our last car based on its emissions, and seriously looked at an electric car. Our next car will be electric and we will be looking at getting a charging point and solar panels installed when we move house (hopefully soon).

We’re also looking at ways we can reduce our food waste, as I was told recently it’s the biggest impact an individual can have on carbon emissions.
Why do you need a car? I thought you lived in London. This isn't having a pop, you have every right to own a car.
My food waste is virtually zero. Occasionally some veg may go off. If it's a couple of days over it can still be eaten.
My bugbear at the moment is plastic packaging

Why do you need a car? I thought you lived in London. This isn't having a pop, you have every right to own a car.
My food waste is virtually zero. Occasionally some veg may go off. If it's a couple of days over it can still be eaten.
My bugbear at the moment is plastic packaging
My husband drives to work (He doesn’t work in central london), I get the train and tube. Also, we do occasionally get out of London to come North, plus the London transport network is great if you want to go in to the centre, less great if you want to go “across”.

What kind of thing are you doing jaxaxe?
Currently, making preparations which hopefully allow us to survive a No Deal Brexit.

Beyond that, we have a multi-layered strategy prepared for a more carbon neutral lifestyle, dealing with personal transport, air miles on food, air miles on non-food items, and energy conservation, procurement and generation. You know, the usual stuff.

Back