The truth about exercise.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Alfred

Striker
BBC2 Horizon tomorrow at 9pm.

Suggesting that you you can improve health markers in your body with as little as 3 minutes of high intensity training a week.

I've been doing HIIT training for a while now and feel much better than i used to when training an average one and a half hours a day for triathlons. No more sore joints and better resistance to bugs.

I think 3 minutes/week is a bit extreme but apparently they have data to show that it improves health markers such as circulating blood fats etc.

Should be interesting viewing for those of us who like a bit of exercise.......and even for those who don't.......you won't have any excuses about not having the time any more.

Are they saying three minutes exercise would be better than say, going on three 10k runs a week?

Because three minutes a week is obviously slightly better than doing nowt a week :lol:

Are they saying three minutes exercise would be better than say, going on three 10k runs a week?

Because three minutes a week is obviously slightly better than doing nowt a week :lol:

It's 3 minutes split up into 1 minute a day 3 x a week.......and the minute split up into 3 maximal bursts of 20 seconds (on an exercise bike). I guess it's a very small time period designed to prove a point.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00pd6rv

Diet is loads more important than exercise.

When you run for 30 mins and only lose about 200 calories you may as well do about 20 press ups and a few sprints at home but skip a chocolate bar.

In seriousness, I want to be exercising again very soon but I really don't fancy the 60-90 minute long runs I was doing 2-4 times a week that worked well for my weight loss before.

I'll never be a gym goer but if there's other options I'd be interested to hear them. I can't do weights very well (plate in my arm which can hurt) but have thought about getting a couple of dumbells that aren't too heavy to use for short while each or every other day.

I might join the swimming pool as I have had trouble with my knees lately so my 3 8k runs a week have stopped since the end of January.

Why not just do something you enjoy. Then it isn't a hardship, it's fun.

5 a side, walking, golf, swimming, squash, shagging.

people who do 3 minutes a week exercise, do they sit in the armchair the rest of the week

I might join the swimming pool as I have had trouble with my knees lately so my 3 8k runs a week have stopped since the end of January.

great for when you are starting to wear out.

Been going to the gym since December and there is a little bit of difference like.
Still a fat wanker but a little bit stronger with it.
Got aches and pains too like, right foot is fucked beyond belief.

Been going to the gym since December and there is a little bit of difference like.
Still a fat wanker but a little bit stronger with it.
Got aches and pains too like, right foot is fucked beyond belief.
you should get yourself to a running shop and get your feet assessed, they'll recommend the shoes that give you the best bridge support.

you should get yourself to a running shop and get your feet assessed, they'll recommend the shoes that give you the best bridge support.

Cannot afford to shop at a charity shop at the moment mate :oops:

bit of a shitter, i'm sure there will be a lot of information on the net about exercises to strengthen your arches.

On the leg press when I do the lower leg, I can feel the arches stretching but I think the right one has collapsed.
Like I have a permanent marble in me shoe

On the leg press when I do the lower leg, I can feel the arches stretching but I think the right one has collapsed.
Like I have a permanent marble in me shoe
have you tried massaging your own feet to help stretch them out? I use a hockey ball, you can quickly feel the problem areas and help work strains out. Just an idea, helps me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back