The 'sweden' approach

box2box

Striker
Of looser measures has been seen to be a 'relative' success in the sense that less economic pain was taken to attain similar death rate outcomes as the uk and other European countries

Is this down to in part Sweden having a healthier population and generally better living conditions than most other European countries. For example if say Spain had adopted the Sweden approach their death rate outcome would have been even worse ?

The argument that uk should have maintained looser measures would surely have resulted in far more deaths

I guess only be able to assess properly in 12/18 months time ....?

I think it's fairer to compare Sweden to its most similar countries.

I'm loath to use it but I think Worldometer is the best source available

Sweden has recorded a lot, lot more deaths per 1m than Norway, Denmark and Finland.

I haven't followed Sweden or the data for the rest of Europe closely at all and other posters might be better placed to comment on the data caveats to explain why this may be the case, but relative to its closest neighbours, Sweden is doing terribly.

Is Sweden's coronavirus strategy a cautionary tale or a success story? This article is a good read also

CountryDeaths per 1m
Spain652
UK614
Italy591
Sweden580
France479
--
Norway49
Denmark110
Finland61

Last edited:
Cant compare Sweden to the UK. Sweden has twice the land mass with about 15% of the population. Which means the UK has a far denser population (more chance of spreading the virus).

I think it's fairer to compare Sweden to its most similar countries.

I'm loath to use it but I think Worldometer is the best source available

Sweden has recorded a lot, lot more deaths per 1m than Norway, Denmark and Finland.

I haven't followed Sweden or the data for the rest of Europe closely at all and other posters might be better placed to comment on the data caveats to explain why this may be the case, but relative to its closest neighbours, Sweden is doing terribly.

Is Sweden's coronavirus strategy a cautionary tale or a success story? This article is a good read also

CountryDeaths per 1m
Spain652
UK614
Italy591
Sweden580
France479
--
Norway49
Denmark110
Finland61
It’s the Norway approach we should be looking at based on those numbers.

In Sweden, due to their constitution, decisions on health are made by the health service and not politicians.

The man in charge of the health service admitted they could have done better.

Not a lot to say atm. There is too much of this episode ahead of us. The only indicators we have to go on at the moment is that Sweden do seem to be experiencing less of a resurge, they haven't damaged their economy but they have suffered more deaths. Time will tell but as with everything else people will set out their position along the lines of self interest and what they want to extrapolate to support their agenda.

So we only measure deaths per million to compare how countries have dealt with Covid 19🤔🤔. No thought to how many deaths the lockdowns caused on top🤔 no thought to wether a country shut it's health service down🤔 no thought to wether kids still got an education🤔 no thought to the fall in GDP🤔 no thought to a countries mental health (or lack of it) and despair deaths. Considering 50% of Swedens deaths were caused by the virus getting into care homes as well at the very beginning. Most importantly consider where they are at now with virtually zero deaths each week and low rates of infection I think many western countries would rather be in the position is in now. Strange how some people say you can't compare the UK with Sweden because of population density, geography etc but are quite happy to compare us against New Zealand 😉. This is a good video from earlier this week with Andrew Neil interview ing Anders Tegnell about Swedens actions. Quite refreshing to have a bit of honesty and Anders explains what went right and wrong. Compare that to Johnson, Sturgeon Witty etc speaking to us like naughty schoolchildren. PS the virus hit Sweden differently to Norway and Finland just a bit like the virus hit London differently to the Isle of Man

Not a lot to say atm. There is too much of this episode ahead of us. The only indicators we have to go on at the moment is that Sweden do seem to be experiencing less of a resurge, they haven't damaged their economy but they have suffered more deaths. Time will tell but as with everything else people will set out their position along the lines of self interest and what they want to extrapolate to support their agenda.
If the UK hadn't locked down, the death toll would have been obscene.

The NHS would have collapsed.

There'd have been so many people unwell the economy would have crashed anyway.

There's no agenda there, just a reality.

People getting all gooey eyed over Sweden are ignoring the reality of the situation we faced here.

If the UK hadn't locked down, the death toll would have been obscene.

The NHS would have collapsed.

There'd have been so many people unwell the economy would have crashed anyway.

There's no agenda there, just a reality.

People getting all gooey eyed over Sweden are ignoring the reality of the situation we faced here.

We'll never know what the death toll would've looked like. I do think Sweden's position will turn out to have been unfortunate to say the least if a vaccine can deliver what we hope it will in the near future. If it doesn't then Sweden will potentially be the envy of Europe.

They have though, the irony is they suffered a reduction in GDP comparable to places that went into lockdown.
They have though, the irony is they suffered a reduction in GDP comparable to places that went into lockdown.
8.6% GDP fall. Even if you don't have a lockdown yourself GDP will likely fall due to the drop in international trade, tourism and peoples behaviours change with people being responsible and not going out as much. But going forward Sweden isn't lumbered with all the extra billions like we have from 'furlough' 'help to eat' and all the other billions that has been spent. We will be where we are in 6 months never mind xmas. It's like groundhog lockdown. Which top economies have suffered worst GDP fall due to COVID-19?

Back