The Super spoilery Star Wars : The Last Jedi spoilers thread *don't even put your mouse over it*

Just back. First half hour good, last half hour to 45 minutes really good, but what was that in the middle? Just stuff happening for no real reason. Bizarre. Characters completely wasted.

Grumpy Old Luke is f***ing brilliant.

The First Order must be genuinely evil mind, Hux's Adjutant is Eddie Hitler.

Yoda cameo a proper punch the air moment.

What the fuck Leia? Why not just kill her off there, use her death as the macguffin to bring Luke back and work the story around that. How are they going to resolve this?

Benicio Del Torres' was completely wasted in a part that should have been Lando Calrissian really.

Its no coincidence the acting work dried up for Mark Hamill after the original 3, the lad's not a good actor & it showed for me. Yoda appearing was good, the ending was good & there were some good moments in it, but there was too much Disney cheese in it for me. The "humour" fell a bit flat at times, at the start it seemed like a spaceballs spoof. Good bit of PC casting though, can't knock that - good representation across ethnic groups & plenty of women in authority/having strong roles. Thought the Jedi hologram bit was well done, as was the Binary sunset

Its no coincidence the acting work dried up for Mark Hamill after the original 3, the lad's not a good actor & it showed for me. Yoda appearing was good, the ending was good & there were some good moments in it, but there was too much Disney cheese in it for me. The "humour" fell a bit flat at times, at the start it seemed like a spaceballs spoof. Good bit of PC casting though, can't knock that - good representation across ethnic groups & plenty of women in authority/having strong roles. Thought the Jedi hologram bit was well done, as was the Binary sunset

He may not be the greatest actor but his voice acting work is superb. He's probably the best joker there's been and he's unrecognizable.

But people seem to have lost their minds here and their judgement is being clouded by what they were expecting vs what was actually delivered.

Look at the scores for the other films on IMDB ( my review in brackets)

E1 (pretty crap) 6.5
E2 (worst one) 6.6
E3 (best of the prequels ) 7.6
Rogue 1 (very good) 7.8
E4 (the best) 8.7
E5 (thinking man’s best) 8.8
E6 (film of two halves) 8.4
E7 (Decent, but a remake of 4) 8.1
E8 ( loved it) 8.0

Those scores make it the 5th best, which I would agree with. Yet a lot of reviews (including those on here) are calling it utter shit and giving it 1. Give it a while and repeated viewings and once the disappointment dust settles people will regard it as much better than they do now.

Ha'way mate, I'm a fan of IMDB ratings, I think generally they give a good reflection of what the consensus is but its far too early before you can draw any conclusions from the ratings of a film that's only been out a few days. See what the rating is in a few months time. I'd personally rate it somewhere around the 7 mark.

He may not be the greatest actor but his voice acting work is superb. He's probably the best joker there's been and he's unrecognizable.
was that in a justice league or batman animation?

Ha'way mate, I'm a fan of IMDB ratings, I think generally they give a good reflection of what the consensus is but its far too early before you can draw any conclusions from the ratings of a film that's only been out a few days. See what the rating is in a few months time. I'd personally rate it somewhere around the 7 mark.

Yeah, 7 maybe. Not 1.

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-last-jedi-defense

Posted this article on the other thread. Sums up why I’m conflicted about some of the stuff that happened but also why it was the right decision from Johnson to do what he did
That slash films take on things is pretty good, it’s certainly how I feel. Kids of the 70s have their Star Wars... the kids of today have a different Star Wars...

If that was what Kathleen Kennedy wanted Johnson to deliver, he did what was required of him.

I'm in for a second viewing at eleven, kids in tow this time.
I’d be interested then know if it’s a different film watching with the bairns...

Last edited:

Well apart from being the core character in the original and then spending most of the second one acting with a muppet on his back while transfixing an entire generation into believing there's an all-powerful "Force" controlling EVERYTHING, what has he done?

His work in Empire proves he can act. Problem is, Johnson gave him nothing to work with. "Be a grumpy old man for the entire film". Great.

I built one mate (seriously :oops:) you can’t get that many people on it unless there are only about 10 rebels left
There weren’t *that* many left running up that tunnel...

Isn’t that the point of the scene with the bairn in the stables... the resistance lives on whether those bodies escaped the cave?

That slash films take on things is pretty good, it’s certainly how I feel. Kids of the 70s have their Star Wars... the kids of today have a different Star Wars...

If that was what Kathleen Kennedy wanted Johnson to deliver, he did what was required of him.
Agreed. If this had remained the tale of the magical Skywalkers fighting against a pantomime villain in Snoke then it would have remained an exercise in simple nostalgia. Now it’s going to have to be something more than that - something more nuanced and wider ranging. The only concern I have now is if JJ can stick the landing. He’s not as talented a filmmaker as Rian Johnson.

Isn’t that the point of the scene with the bairn in the stables... the resistance lives on whether those bodies escaped the cave?

Yeah - but there seemed to be loads more at the start of the battle in that trench. And those transports were big so even if only one made it to the planet then you still have a good few people we didn’t see die/made it to the Falcon

Well apart from being the core character in the original and then spending most of the second one acting with a muppet on his back while transfixing an entire generation into believing there's an all-powerful "Force" controlling EVERYTHING, what has he done?

His work in Empire proves he can act. Problem is, Johnson gave him nothing to work with. "Be a grumpy old man for the entire film". Great.
The success of the original 3 has very little to do with Mark Hamill's acting. The 2 best characters by a mile in the original 3 are Darth Vader & Han Solo. The best things about a lot of Luke's scenes are the sound, music & special effects, not Hamill's acting. I'd even put the said muppet ahead of Luke's character for being more memorable & possibly even the droids & the emperor

Batman animated series and some of the games.

The success of the original 3 has very little to do with Mark Hamill's acting. The 2 best characters by a mile in the original 3 are Darth Vader & Han Solo. The best things about a lot of Luke's scenes are the sound, music & special effects, not Hamill's acting. I'd even put the said muppet ahead of Luke's character for being more memorable & possibly even the droids & the emperor
Mate, I once went to Ku Club dressed as Ep4 Luke and put in a better performance than he did.

That’s a brilliant review mind. People want to read that and maybe calm down a bit from their initial reaction to the film

Agree. End of the day it is impossible to please everyone. I'm expecting to enjoy it more the more i watch it. I can only think of 4 things that I thought were a bit silly. And I've no doubt I can just as many if not more in the other movies.

Got to remember it's 40 years later aswell, aren't we all a little bit shitter than we were 40 years ago.

It's like trying to rediscover the magic of Christmas once you know Santa isn't real.

I loved TLJ and I loved the original trilogy, but the initial experience of the first 3 will never be recreated imo. Even if the films were actually better than the originals, the magic unfortunately won't be there as a grown man compared to my 5 year-old self:cry:

:eek:

WTF!!!! What do you mean Santa isn’t real!?!?! NOOOOOO!!!!!!! :(

Back