The stream that runs through Farringdon, Gilley Law, Silksworth etc

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date

Perhaps i didnt word that correctly, i am well aware that Sunderland was a major target for the Germans, it was that important that it was a secondary target on bombing raids. So if the Germans could hit their orginal targets they used to drop them on Sunderland on the way back.
My Dads family were bombed out of Hood Street in Monkwearmouth, my nana used to tell me how they used to count the bombs dropped do they knew when they were safe.

Reminds me of the story of th River Brent that runs from the Welsh Harp reservoir in Wembley down to Brentford. A lot of it is hidden as it runs through North West London down to the Thames so it often runs in culverts behind houses and under roads.

A couple of years back they were pretty proud of the fact that after years of neglect they had cleaned the river out and removed all of the shopping trolleys and all of the rubbish and cleaned up the area around it where it was on the surface. During this work they came across a small row of houses around Southall way that had been built in the 1970's. Unfortunately their builder had mistaken the pipe carrying the river below ground for the mains sewer and had connected all the houses to it. For 40 years untreated sewage from all the houses had just been flowing in to the Brent every time someone flushed the loo or ran their washing machine and from there down in to the Thames.
To many knife-wielding, Moped-riding tunnel rats down there mind.
I think that you can still see the pipe that carries the River Fleet if you go down to East bound platform of the Central Line at Tottenham Court Road unless they have covered it up when the did up the station. It was famously the only bit of the river that could be "seen" by the public the rest was a sewer below the streets of London.

Last edited:
There's a few people on Twitter who track them down and walk the routes. The Fleet being an interesting one as it's almost completely hidden now.
There used to be a great website SilentUK, but it's gone now & all the you tube videos have been taken down, still bits on Facebook, they explored subterranean London, was some great articles on the old website, breaking into the underground at Edgware road and accessing the old post office line all the way to Paddington was probably my favourite.

Much of Sunderland is built on Limestone of one sort or another so all the watter gans down holes in the groond rather than ower the top. That's why we have underground Artesian Wells and pumping stations and the like.

Much of Sunderland is built on Limestone of one sort or another so all the watter gans down holes in the groond rather than ower the top. That's why we have underground Artesian Wells and pumping stations and the like.

There are also a network of underground aquifers and I believe the water supplied to homes in south Sunderland near the coast is extracted near the port before being cleaned and and distributed.

There used to be a great website SilentUK, but it's gone now & all the you tube videos have been taken down, still bits on Facebook, they explored subterranean London, was some great articles on the old website, breaking into the underground at Edgware road and accessing the old post office line all the way to Paddington was probably my favourite.

I'll have a look at that, cheers.
f***ing Artesians, coming ower here and taking our water.

Last edited:

He posted regularly on 28DL. Mad bastard used to crawl through shit and all sorts to get into some of the sewers.

He posted regularly on 28DL. Mad bastard used to crawl through shit and all sorts to get into some of the sewers.
I love London sewers and old Joseph Bazalgette. When I was at Uni in Stratford E15 in the early 1970's our college (well it was the old Kensitas fag factory) overlooked the Northern Outfall Sewer built by the great man himself.It was built above ground and looked like a railway embankment without the line on top that went down to the Abbey Mills pumping station.

When I was last through Stratford they had built all of the Olympic Park and I could just about recognise where the old college building had been as even the road in which was had gone. That was because old the sewer embankment was still there cutting a swathe through the East End. They tell people that its part of a country park cycle route now .

Last edited:
Used to be some great stuff on that website, they also did the shard iirc, main lad still posts on twitter @SilentUk , Otter, not much exploration stuff on there, he's probably got restraining orders on him 😂

Back