The Stanford prison experiment

I would say training has a lot to do with it. They break soldiers during boot camp and basically dehumanize them to build them back up again as what they need them to be. The training (at least here in the US) varies per the military branch, too. The kill machines that are the Marines have a more rigorous boot camp than those in the Air Force.

Of course upbringing has a lot to do with how a person would react. Some people live their lives aiming to please others, especially someone who is in power or above them.
They treat recruits like this for their own savage amusement and because “they went through it”. It’s funny how the same training staff picked on the same weak lads. And put their arm around the tough kids even if both had fucked up.

You see that one sick bastard who was asking why the voltage didn't go higher? :lol:
They still carry out electric shock treatment out now. On mental health patients like not prisoners.

They treat recruits like this for their own savage amusement and because “they went through it”. It’s funny how the same training staff picked on the same weak lads. And put their arm around the tough kids even if both had fucked up.
similar to the hazings that many organizations use/used for new members. The mentality is basically similar which is appalling.

That's some horrible shit, pal.
It was but like it’s been said on other threads you can’t erase stuff that happens, some for the better some some worse, my kids make my blood boil sometimes with things like it’s the end of the world if their tea isn’t on the plate when you call them downstairs. “I thought it was ready like!!!” Believe me I have been so close to breaking the plate over their heads and telling them to fuckoff but I just smile and tell them to chill out.
As I know stepping over the mark makes me as bad as the people who I despise.

I believe there were some attempts made to replicate the experiment early on. I'm rather certain I read about that back when I was in university eons ago. We studied it in school when I was attending, but even back then, the results were already being questioned. Well, at least by my professor at the time.
Ok I thought after they abandoned the experiment nobody tried to recreate but I suppose someone will always have a go

Back