The Stack Seaburn

Great news, I’ll be visiting.

I’ve no doubts that this will be popular in the summer. My question to the OP is what is being envisaged to keep up foot fall in the winter months? The Newcastle one does great, but it has massive footfall and passing trade, Seaburn will need to make itself a destination in itself.

Think thats the point...

I don’t think the place will struggle when it’s up and running like, good luck to those who are going to give it a go. More options down the seafront the better
Pity it's not portable. Summer on the seafront, winter in town would be canny.

:lol:

Last edited:

Really hope it works and the units are populated with a variety of food and drink places.

For sure we'll see the downtrodden "it wont work" posts but I think the stack could be great.
I worry that it won’t get enough business, can’t image a Tuesday night I’m Feb is going to see enough people to support the number of businesses there.

I worry that it won’t get enough business, can’t image a Tuesday night I’m Feb is going to see enough people to support the number of businesses there.
Hope the type of businesses will change during the year to suit. If they make it flexible it should.

With metros off on Friday it's predicted that the lack of Mackems will see many bars in toon closing down. On the plus side Sunderland is set to boom. Gerrin.

Surprised at Downeys
do we actually need another Fish and Chip pla(I)ce
Pleased they are relatively local firms and no chains

It's sports and leisure facilities we need not more food places
No wonder obesity is an issue
Council missed an opportunity could of built a new indoor bowls facility for the OAPs too

Surprised at Downeys
do we actually need another Fish and Chip pla(I)ce

Pleased they are relatively local firms and no chains

It's sports and leisure facilities we need not more food places
No wonder obesity is an issue
Council missed an opportunity could of built a new indoor bowls facility for the OAPs too
There's already what - 4 within 300 yards of each other?

Coming to this late so dunno if its already been said (seen a post about footfall earlier) but the problem with Seaburn is the transport. If there was a metro stop a few yards away then it would work. Also I often go to Seaburn for a Ruby on the weekend & finding a parking space is a right chew on. I can see it being busy-ish for a few hours on a Friday & Saturday night & Sunday lunchtime but the difficulties of getting there and once ur there parking up means it'll be pretty empty at all other times. I really hope I'm proved wrong but I can see it being a bit of a white elephant.

Coming to this late so dunno if its already been said (seen a post about footfall earlier) but the problem with Seaburn is the transport. If there was a metro stop a few yards away then it would work. Also I often go to Seaburn for a Ruby on the weekend & finding a parking space is a right chew on. I can see it being busy-ish for a few hours on a Friday & Saturday night & Sunday lunchtime but the difficulties of getting there and once ur there parking up means it'll be pretty empty at all other times. I really hope I'm proved wrong but I can see it being a bit of a white elephant.

There's a 500 space car park with free parking right next to where it's gonna be.

not sure how its difficult, there's a big car park next to morrisons and parking bays along the front. ive never had a problem

There is housing surrounding Seaburn in most directiions.Why build more on land ripe for leisure and development ? Crazy use of planning for precious land.Pure pure greed and profiteering.

But the commercial reality is it is going to be next to impossible to get a leasure operator to invest significantly for a 100% leisure development as there is so little going on down there. If they can build a mixed used development it would at least generate some profitable development and activity year round with some ancillary leasure at ground floor level.

The biggest scandal down there is the f***ing Morrisons, that takes up a huge area of the seafront and looks f***ing awful, the cafe doesn't even look out over the coast:)

But the commercial reality is it is going to be next to impossible to get a leasure operator to invest significantly for a 100% leisure development as there is so little going on down there. If they can build a mixed used development it would at least generate some profitable development and activity year round with some ancillary leasure at ground floor level.

The biggest scandal down there is the f***ing Morrisons, that takes up a huge area of the seafront and looks f***ing awful, the cafe doesn't even look out over the coast:)

Exactly. I’m not sure a leisure development in its own right will create any profit and will cost the council so one argument to deliver housing is apparently greed and making a massive profit (supposedly) and the other a leisure development which will likely cost the council money (and if it’s a leisure centre will significantly impact on the other leisure facilities already in the city).

Agree re: Morrison’s.

Back