The Sopranos vs Gomorrah...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon all

What do people think a better watch/prefer?

I am expecting Sopranos to win this hands down, as most people won't have heard of or watched Gomorrah. Tell you what though, after watching first two seasons of Gomorrah, I've got to say that imo its without doubt the best gangster tv series I seen yet and for me is up there with the best of the Mafia flicks too (quite the claim I know). Part of the reason for this is the sheer depth of it, the story is boss and the characters brilliant... No movie is ever going to be able to offer what it does due to the limited length.

I loved The Sopranos but it was kind of hammy at times and had a pretty generic hollywoodish theme/idea of what gangster life is supposed to be like, like. Gomorrah though is like The Wire... You just believe everything you're seeing, it's so gritty and real.

SoS recommends this if not already in there...

Best,
SoS ;)

I've watched both and hard to say. The Sopranos went on for quite some time so there were a few dud episodes in there but I also thought the second series of Gomorrah ran out of steam a bit at the end. Both excellent television, mind.

I've watched both and hard to say. The Sopranos went on for quite some time so there were a few dud episodes in there but I also thought the second series of Gomorrah ran out of steam a bit at the end. Both excellent television, mind.
It did kind of slow down towards the end of s2...

Agree though, both cracking...

Loved both of them me. Gomorrah probably the most addictive thing I ever watched but Tony Soprano is the coolest character of all time.

Afternoon all

I am expecting Sopranos to win this hands down, as most people won't have heard of or watched Gomorrah. Tell you what though, after watching first two seasons of Gomorrah, I've got to say that imo its without doubt the best gangster tv series I seen yet and for me is up there with the best of the Mafia flicks too (quite the claim I know). Part of the reason for this is the sheer depth of it, the story is boss and the characters brilliant... No movie is ever going to be able to offer what it does due to the limited length.

I loved The Sopranos but it was kind of hammy at times and had a pretty generic hollywoodish theme/idea of what gangster life is supposed to be like, like. Gomorrah though is like The Wire... You just believe everything you're seeing, it's so gritty and real.

Best,
SoS ;)
Absolutely no contest here. The Sopranos.

Also, the Gomorrah film is better than the series.

Also liked the Romanzano Criminale series but it wasn't quite up to the standard of Gomorrah.
Preferred the first series of Romanzo Criminale to Gomorrah, actually. Had stronger characters and I generally found it more interesting. Lost interest somewhere through the second series though, as did I, with Gomorrah.

I've only got into The Sopranos recently and have watched the first two series. I'll continue with it but I have to say very little has happened in 26 episodes. I find the psychiatrist interviews tedious as well.

Gomorrah is tremendous. Yes it did tail off a little in the middle of Series 2, but I thought the ending was pretty good. Body count got a bit much mind. If its an accurate depiction of Naples I'm not going anywhere near the place, the bad lads (and lass) make the Sopranos look like a load of man fannies by comparison

All about opinions m8...

I friggin loved The Sopranos too mind... Superb telly...
I've probably watched The Sopranos all the way through 3 or 4 times and always seem to pick up things that I've missed. It's the closest a TV show can get to a work of art. The first series of Gomorrah was reasonably enjoyable, but it was nowhere near on that level. I honestly can't think of anything that is, actually.

I've only got into The Sopranos recently and have watched the first two series. I'll continue with it but I have to say very little has happened in 26 episodes. I find the psychiatrist interviews tedious as well.

Gomorrah is tremendous. Yes it did tail off a little in the middle of Series 2, but I thought the ending was pretty good. Body count got a bit much mind. If its an accurate depiction of Naples I'm not going anywhere near the place, the bad lads (and lass) make the Sopranos look like a load of man fannies by comparison
If you're only watching The Sopranos for the 'action' you're really missing out. It's a really intricate series, far, far more than just 'tits' and people getting shot.

Last edited:
I've probably watched The Sopranos all the way through 3 or 4 times and always seem to pick up things that I've missed. It's the closest a TV show can get to a work of art. The first series of Gomorrah was reasonably enjoyable, but it was nowhere near on that level. I honestly can't think of anything that is, actually.

If you're only watching The Sopranos for the 'action' you're really missing out. It's a really intricate series, far, far more than just 'tits' and people getting shot.
I'm not. I find the plot development is incredibly slow. I'll keep watching it though.

Afternoon all

Best,
SoS ;)

Gomorrah is a bit slow and without humour but I do like it.

Sopranos is masterful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back