The Somme remembrance 1st July

Status
Not open for further replies.

My great great grandad served. CSM Ernest Jackson, 19th Battalion, Durham Light Infantry (The Bantams), part of the 35th Infantry Division.

Fought in the Battle of Albert in the first two weeks of The Somme then in 1917 fought at Arras then the Third Battle of Ypres. Mentioned in despatches twice and awarded the Military Medal.

Never talked about it by all accounts, but my grandad managed to get copies of some of the war diaries so he could find out where he fought.

Braver men than any of us.

There are some exceptional contributions and many moving family stories on this thread.

I don't do likes, so thank you all.

My great great grandad served. CSM Ernest Jackson, 19th Battalion, Durham Light Infantry (The Bantams), part of the 35th Infantry Division.

Fought in the Battle of Albert in the first two weeks of The Somme then in 1917 fought at Arras then the Third Battle of Ypres. Mentioned in despatches twice and awarded the Military Medal.

Never talked about it by all accounts, but my grandad managed to get copies of some of the war diaries so he could find out where he fought.

Braver men than any of us.

My brother traced the likely regiment of the sniper who shot my distant relative I mentioned earlier in the thread. It was some Bavarian Infantry regiment apparently. Dunno how he got the information mind.

There are some exceptional contributions and many moving family stories on this thread.

I don't do likes, so thank you all.

Would it be possible for this thread to eventually be put in the gold forum? I personally think it deserves to end up there as a reminder of all the poster's on this threads loved ones who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

It's been very moving to read the contributions on this thread and it shows just what a service to this country those men made 100 years ago.

I think you mean a book called Love, Tommy by Andrew Roberts (published 2012)? - although it not just the 1st World War? - its a collection of letters written from WW1 all way through to modern warfare (2008) and was published in association with Imperial War Museums
I have a copy with orange/black cover
Nope sorry, it was from around 2007 ish iirc. Still haven't found it.

Would it be possible for this thread to eventually be put in the gold forum? I personally think it deserves to end up there as a reminder of all the poster's on this threads loved ones who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

It's been very moving to read the contributions on this thread and it shows just what a service to this country those men made 100 years ago.

That's above my pay grade but I agree and will ask the question.

Don't know if it's already been mentioned on this thread but this book is a great read.

Logon or register to see this image

My grandad knows the author well, he's originally from Sunderland and he used to knock about with him as a bairn but moved down south and since became somewhat of an expert on the Great War. When my grandad bought the book he got in touch with him and they've been over to France and Belgium to visit the battlefields and graves.

Just had the chance to get back on here and catch up on the posts, so my apologies for that, but there has been some brilliant reads and thank you for commenting. CHEERS

OAFAAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back