The sol improvements

Why was the Roker End reduced in capacity anyone?

The alteration was before my time, hence the question.
The noise resounding around the ground was causing cracks in the structure. They couldn’t pinpoint the problem till they sent noise analyzers in on a match day. The crowd noise sent the sound level meters into overdrive. They had no option but to reduce the capacity in the Roker end.

tidied on behalf of the concrete industry ;)
I remember in the last season of full size seeing a hole at the back wall and you could literally see rusted steel exposed in the concrete. Being so close to the sea probably didn't help. Salt in the air and all that. Ground was never the same after they chopped the top half off losing 10,000 off capacity and Roker Park was effectively on its last legs from then on.

Fulwell End from 79 till about 83 when I turned 16 and shifted to Roker End with the hardy souls so I was never in before reduction. Thinking back now the Roker End was a structural mess but I have very fond memories of it

I agree that being able to move around the concourses and get served faster would be ideal, if we get back to the PL and we’re getting 40k+ gates then it’ll be a nightmare again. The SS is a nightmare as it stands.

However I’d want us to strike the right balance. We sold out West Ham’s new away end and it was like walking round the metro centre after it’s closed at half time. No atmosphere at all.

Fulwell End from 79 till about 83 when I turned 16 and shifted to Roker End with the hardy souls so I was never in before reduction. Thinking back now the Roker End was a structural mess but I have very fond memories of it
The Roker End was state of the art construction technology when it was built in the early 20th century just wasn't looked after/upgraded as time wore on, I remember going to Preston in the late 70's and their terracing was wooden.

The Roker End was state of the art construction technology when it was built in the early 20th century just wasn't looked after/upgraded as time wore on, I remember going to Preston in the late 70's and their terracing was wooden.
..was still wooden 2000,'s. Side stand.

Rebuild roker park ... You can enjoy going to footy again.. But that won't happen... So glad I can go to fratton even with a reduced capacity.. Most of all ... Give us back our ... TERRACES.... ..
Why....did you feel....the need....to type....like...this...?

It had to be as it was some size. Think the barriers were poor state but the Fulwell end ones was worse if I remember

Back